Skip to Content

CAMP ETIQUETTE

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: CAMP ETIQUETTE

Unread postby GlenD » Thu May 24, 2012 10:49 am

I would have hammered his chops with peri-peri and pepper when he wasnt looking :big_eyes:
Berg-en-Dal 28/12/2015 to 29/12/2015
Lower Sabie 29/12/2015 to 03/01/2016

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Thu May 24, 2012 10:55 am

We also experienced similar behavior from these type of arrogant people. Whilst en route to Zimbabwe, we stayed overnight at Tshipise. When we came back from the shop, here was this guy making fire at our braai. When we asked him what he was doing , he nonchalantly replied that there was something wrong with his braai and since we are not using ours, he is going to braai at our bungalow.

Now this chap was probably on honeymoon because the missus stayed in the bungalow whilst he was attending to the fire. He came out of the bungalow a couple of times to check the fire and went back to his bungalow, slamming the door shut. Missus never came out (perhaps she was sweeping the floor :tongue: ) After the third time that Mr disappeared into his place, we grabbed a spade, removed the entire fire and threw that into the metallic dustbin. You should have seen the expression on his face when he came back and saw that his fire was gone. We just continued chatting and obviously had absolute no idea as to what happened to the fire, when being confronted by this man.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Thu May 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Rooies, well done
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Melaniejayne

Unread postby Melaniejayne » Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Thank you so very much for your responses! I must say though some of you certainly do have more patience than others! Wow ........... guess RUDENESS is everywhere! So very sad indeed!

Seems that good old fashioned 'camping etiquette' has long since gone then! Even a simple greeting in a communal ablution block - sometimes received a frown or a non-responsive stare! My 18 year old son was quite taken aback when he greeted an elderly gentleman one morning with an English accented "More Oom!" having heard him speak Afrikaans earlier to someone else and received a shrug and a turn of a back within seconds. Would it have been so hard to acknowledge a greeting, with a simple SMILE and "More seun"

Anyway, I will continue to be a respectful, friendly, curtious and mindful of my fellow camper and will continue to teach my children the same. Maybe ONE day, we'll succeed. Until then .... :wall:

HAPPY CAMPING TO YOU ALL ...................
:D

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby missings.a.! » Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Rooies wrote:We also experienced similar behavior from these type of arrogant people. Whilst en route to Zimbabwe, we stayed overnight at Tshipise. When we came back from the shop, here was this guy making fire at our braai. When we asked him what he was doing , he nonchalantly replied that there was something wrong with his braai and since we are not using ours, he is going to braai at our bungalow.

Now this chap was probably on honeymoon because the missus stayed in the bungalow whilst he was attending to the fire. He came out of the bungalow a couple of times to check the fire and went back to his bungalow, slamming the door shut. Missus never came out (perhaps she was sweeping the floor :tongue: ) After the third time that Mr disappeared into his place, we grabbed a spade, removed the entire fire and threw that into the metallic dustbin. You should have seen the expression on his face when he came back and saw that his fire was gone. We just continued chatting and obviously had absolute no idea as to what happened to the fire, when being confronted by this man.

Well perhaps the lack of etiquette is not as severe in South Africa, as in the UK that could get you stabbed. :shock:

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 pm

@ Missings. Get stabbed? I thought that London was the epicenter of the civilized world. What type of knives do you use? Here in SA we have the famous Okapi knife. The general rule is that we don't stab each other, unless you have given them 2 warnings.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby missings.a.! » Fri May 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Seriously, while in truth the murder rate here is very low, much lower than people think. England and Wales has a population of 55 million and around 600 (six hundred) murders last year, including partner murders and infanticide. Stranger murders are rare.

Nevertheless, there are some very rough and aggressive people here and certain rules apply. Don't get in arguments with strangers and never toot your horn at another car.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Fri May 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Missings is quite right....sadly knife crime is prevalent in certain areas of the UK!! :twisted:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Here in SA we use stolen ak's and 9mm's :tongue:
I would like to see the no hooting applied as i think if my neighbours lived there they would get stabbed every day

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby missings.a.! » Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 pm

If you hoot at someone, it is thought of as a sign you are disrespecting them and their driving.

That said. I think nothing of walking to the shop at just before 11 pm when it closes, if I have no milk for my morning tea.

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Here people hoot because they just plain lazy to get out the car and go ring the doorbell

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby missings.a.! » Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

GlenD wrote:Here people hoot because they just plain lazy to get out the car and go ring the doorbell

Well, maybe the old knife would come out. I hate hooters. :sniper:

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 pm

I feel the same

Gemma T

Unread postby Gemma T » Fri May 25, 2012 8:21 pm

On the other side of the coin here. I was forced to go through someone else's campsite at Malelane last August because of the inconsiderate placing of their tent and awning. I had been advised by Ecojunkie to check out the river view from the little path that runs towards the lookout. When I got to the entrance, some campers had set their camp up directly over where the visible path led to the break in the fence going down to the river view. They were just about a metre from the fence line! So I had no option but to essentially walk through the front of their camp!!

I did feel uncomfortable doing it as they were always stoney faced when I went past, but there was no way I was going to stop visiting the lookout!! If they didn't want people getting close to their camp, then really they should not have blocked the ONLY access to the path!! :twisted:
When I'm not in the Park, I'm thinking of it...
Bittersweet Return to Paradise TR - Aug 2011

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Sat May 26, 2012 6:15 am

Gemma T, I would have also walked through there camp as they were in the wrong BUT yet again the plague of the 21st century rears its ugly head-ME,MYSELF,I DISEASE. They were only concerned about the fact that they could see the view and did not bother to think for a minute about the other campers who would also like to see the view. I hate inconsiderate/selfish/stupid/ignorant campers/tourists like that
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”