Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atlassing Kruger... on foot!
Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can't wait for the next installment! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Gosh, but you saw many different kinds of birds at Mooigesigt Dam Johan! :D

That was a VERY close Ellie! :big_eyes: Thanks for sharing! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

JvR, you lyre of a homo sapiens! I'm just catching up with your report-in-progress and it's if I was on the trail myself... Well, off course I WAS on the trail with you - lucky me. Thanks for all your pics and memories. And also a thank you on behalf of SANParks Reservations: surely everybody who reads this (including repeat offenders like myself) are scrambling to book a spot on the unbeatable Mphongolo Experience?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It's true. I can't read this without thinking about booking the next one...My bank balance would have preferred your computer woes to have continued :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Work got me and I had no time for even a quick peek during the day!

So back now to enjoy your tale.. :dance: :dance:

Johan, your photos are just exquisite but it must have been a real downer after such a trek to find a dust bowl! You had a party of great birders on the trip who are capable of quick idents and the list of birds was just amazing! Well done Team JvR!

Great idea to blend in with your tents.. The level of protection, however, leaves a lot to be desired. :hmz: :hmz:

The old faithfulls are back to enjoy your story unfold. :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:49 pm 

It is so good to relive the trail experience and it is good to have you back online Johan.

Fantastic photographs (as we have come to expect) and a great TR.

Cant wait for our next Atlassing trail, are there still spaces available?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 pm 

Can't wait for another TR. You write so well and the pictures are great. Can't wait to hear about all the animal tales and how you abate the insects, like flies, mosquitoes, spiders, etc.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
JenB wrote:
Johan van Rensburg wrote:

Everyone hiding behind the log, JvR's the only brave one taking the pic? :shock: :lol:

Now, you be the judge! How close was THAT!? :big_eyes:

Waaay too close!! :whistle:

Brave? Nah! I was last in the group and snapped away at the presented photo opportunity on my way in to "safety"! :lol: Ook maar Bangjan! (I am a scared cat).

mel123 wrote:
Can't wait for the next installment! :clap: :clap:

Too many irons in the fire, mel... "Waits" are unavoidable! Sorry... :redface:

hilda wrote:
Gosh, but you saw many different kinds of birds at Mooigesigt Dam Johan! :D

That was a VERY close Ellie! :big_eyes: Thanks for sharing! :thumbs_up:

I'd love to do some birding around that dam when it is full, hilda! The topography is hugely promising and I can only imagine what a little corner of paradise this must be when blessed with enough rain!

The ellie experience was rather special... certainly one of those memories that will make my grandchildren listen to that specific campfire story with bated breath! :lol:

JoelR wrote:
JvR, you lyre of a homo sapiens! I'm just catching up with your report-in-progress and it's if I was on the trail myself... Well, off course I WAS on the trail with you - lucky me. Thanks for all your pics and memories. And also a thank you on behalf of SANParks Reservations: surely everybody who reads this (including repeat offenders like myself) are scrambling to book a spot on the unbeatable Mphongolo Experience?

Thank you for the kind words, Joel.

Well, regarding the do-over... I have not had many responses as yet apart from the odd indication of interest or promise to consider. I'll have to start a "hard-sell" soon! :twisted:

I guess this is an opportunity to announce that we have THREE atlassing trips planned for the new season (...or two, depending on how you look at it :roll: :lol: )

The first one is a normal three-nighter in October. The second one (...and the third, depending on how you look at it :roll: :lol: ) is in November. I'll post details about these trails a bit later...

dianne wrote:
It's true. I can't read this without thinking about booking the next one...My bank balance would have preferred your computer woes to have continued :twisted:

I'm keenly looking forward to those trips as well, Dianne. :lol: I just hope the ol' bones will stand up to the rigours of the second one which I plan to do back-to-back with the third... I hope a few birders will join me on the extended trip!

Cherries wrote:
Johan, your photos are just exquisite but it must have been a real downer after such a trek to find a dust bowl! You had a party of great birders on the trip who are capable of quick idents and the list of birds was just amazing! Well done Team JvR!

Great idea to blend in with your tents.. The level of protection, however, leaves a lot to be desired. :hmz: :hmz:

The old faithfulls are back to enjoy your story unfold. :D :D

It is always an honour to share such an experience with well-versed birders, Cherries. Their participation adds another dimension to the experience... Sharing the pure joy of finding a lifer is a very special highlight! And being able to observe and discuss the features of a difficult bird as a team and then making an informed ID leaves one elated just to have been part of the learning...

The tent-blend was more for lengthening our observation time with the ellie than for our protection... There really exists no risk in such an open encountre at all!

I am very appreciative of the "faithful" enjoying the read!

Brenden wrote:
It is so good to relive the trail experience and it is good to have you back online Johan.

Fantastic photographs (as we have come to expect) and a great TR.

Cant wait for our next Atlassing trail, are there still spaces available?

Thanks for the kind appreciation, Brenden. Like I said earlier in response to Joel post: I will soon have to start a hard-sell because I have not had any real commitments yet. :lol: The grapevine is not doing it's thing this time...

joanm456 wrote:
Can't wait to hear about all the animal tales and how you abate the insects, like flies, mosquitoes, spiders, etc.

Insects like flies and mosquitoes we try to keep off best we can by applying repellent (not that the muti always works...) and by having tents that are as near as possible to being "insect-proof". Spiders we play with as often as we can! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That was a VERY close Ellie! The ellie experience was rather special... certainly oneof those memories that will make my grandchildren listen to that specific campfire story with bated breath!

:thumbs_up: Difficult to relate unless experienced - had many similarly pleasant elephant encounters I can treasure.

Some of my KNP elephant encounters while we await the next episode...

Image Image Image Image Image

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Thu May 24, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:17 am 

The first one is a normal three-nighter in October. The second one (...and the third, depending on how you look at it ) is in November. I'll post details about these trails a bit later...

I'd love to do another one, especially the back-to-back. There is just not enough leave days in a year...might have to wait untill next year :cry:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Awesome Johan, I'll be in for either the October or November one as I finish varsity in October :D

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:hmz: A next episode would really be nice :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 pm 

My daughter would run at the first site of a spider, she is deathly afraid of them. I guess being out in the jungle it's hard to keep all the insects away that like to bite you. Problem is you need different repellants for different insects.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
How did I fall so far behind :wall: :wall: :wall: a blonde moment.

I have soooo enjoyed catching up. 8) What a pleasure.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:pray:

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next