Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 pm

I have a dumb question that I hope the Balule goers can help me with ...
If you stay in Balule without power, then how do you charge your camera's? :hmz:
Also I take my laptop (which has a hopeless battery and needs electricity) to load my pics from my camera on to, so that I free up space for more photies!

How do you Balule goers manage? :lol:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

mizzbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby mizzbee » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:28 pm

I always ensure that all batteries for my camera are fully charged before staying at Balule.

There are power points available in the kitchens and picnic spots at the other camps nearby so you could recharge batteries there while having a leisurely lunch or breakfast.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Yip, zero electricity at Balule.

If you are going to stay in a camp without electricity for a while and will need to charge camera/phone batteries the simplest option is a car charger (off your cigarette lighter socket). Next step up will be an inverter - but be careful as only certain ones charge laptop batteries. They are pretty pricey.

One trip I was urgently needed to do work on my laptop and the battery was flat and only then we realised our inverter did not charge the laptop battery. We were in Balule for a week. I went to the day visitors area at Olifants to plug in and do the work that I had to. I really do not think though, Kruger will encourage this as you can imagine what it will be like if 10 people pitched up at a picnic area to 'plug in'.

Or investigate some sort of solar power generated chargers :D
Sawubona
Dalene

Schnooks

Balule Camp Site

Unread postby Schnooks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 am

Hi All

I am contemplating changing my camping accommodation to Balule but I need to know a couple of things - if anyone in the know could please advise:

- How shady is the camp site?
- Is the camp accessible now after the floods in January 2012?
- Would you visit this camp with a 4yr old child?

Thanks - think that is about it for now :wink:

DinkyBird

Re: Balule Camp Site

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Schnooks

There are shady spots in the camping area. Not all campsites have shade though. Some have lovely shade.

There is a lovely shady grassy area in the middle of the camp if you just want to lie and read on a blanket in the shade.

The camping area is now accessible and open again after the floods.

Last Q is a difficult one. It depends on the nature of your child. If you have a child that has a quieter nature and is happy to sit and play quietly, then the camp is fine. But if your child needs space to run and play and let off a bit of steam, you might find camping at Balule a little stressful.
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:30 am

No urns, but a huge kettle on the gas which the camp attendant Titus puts on to heat early in the morning. But people also manage to empty it very quickly and you can get there and there is no boiling water. So if possible take your own little kettle.

And ask away as many Qs as you like, we love answering them :D
Sawubona
Dalene

jeffgordon

Unread postby jeffgordon » Thu May 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I was hoping to get Hut Number 6 (the one next to the fence) on my next visit, but only number TWO and number FOUR are available.

I imagine there is not much in it, but for those who have stayed at Balule before, given a choice, which one would you choose? 2 or 4?

(Here's the map to jog your memory: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/balule/images/maps/balule_map.jpg)

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RobertT » Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Really nothing in it as the camp is so small, 2 you will have more traffic from gate and 4 is closer to ablutions and freezers, so I would probably go 4. But either is ok.

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gmlsmit » Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm

We spent a week camping in Balule and guess where we will be going camping again.

The camp is neat and well kept, Titus is friendly, the ablutions and kitchen areas are clean.

The paraffin lamps still have a bit of the old charm.

The gas deep freezes are brand new.

12 Hyaenas (4 generations) at the den 2 km from the camp.

3 Black Rhino, a Leopard a couple of Lions, Plenty of Buffalo,many Elephants good birding.

No there are no screen doors to the refurbished huts but there is talk of them being fitted.

And most of all the visitors to this camp just seem to interact more with one another and just seem a bit friendlier than in the other camps, however - campers normally are.

While we were there a group of Belgian scientists arrived - their assignment was to evaluate the water quality of the Olifants River.

Maybe SANParks could provide us with a link to where we could have a look at their findings.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

mizzbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby mizzbee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Ndloti, I was there during late August and there was not a worker in sight.

The camp itself is absolutely pristine.

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

Buksv1

Unread postby Buksv1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 pm

We enjoyed our six night stay in the Balule camp.
The camp is well looked after by Titus.
Every morning the braai and dustbin was cleaned and emptied.
The ablution was spotless.
The camp was busy at night time but never full.
The low level bridge is still under construction and i don't believe it will be ready by the 15th of next month as per their website.
The park seem to be very wet, we had rain and cloud cover for two days,the rest was very hot.
The wind also shook the caravan the one night.
The game viewing was not to bad,for the cats we only saw lion.
Balule will see us again.

cygnus

Unread postby cygnus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 am

We stayed at Balule from 6 - 14 October and still rate it tops. Titus and Mable run a great ship, the repairs have added comfort and the view is superb. Even the ablution block has been spruced up. I have never seen the centre of the park so lush. Game viewing was plentiful, birding obviously better than our usual time in September. One works harder for sightings, but the lower traffic volumes and peace in camp at night far outweigh other considerations. By the way, we stay in the huts, but both huts and camping areas were very quiet. Roll on September 2013 for Tam & Balule, 4 nights in each

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Albert » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:20 pm

The "must-have" Balule sunset pic...

Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Toddy

Unread postby Toddy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi Tent Dweller, unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the hutss but hopefully someone else has. The huts are still exactly the same apart from a new thatched roof and a new lockable door.
Other than that you won't really notice a difference, perhaps apart from the new small table in the hut.

They are still as hot as ever though and the same old paraffin lamps make it even hotter, so look forward to lovely hot evenings. :)

13-16 April - Satara
16-19 April - Biyamiti
19-22 April - Lower Sabie

Can't Wait !!!

john n poppy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby john n poppy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

We stayed in August last year and Balule was as usual great, even better, the floods had removed some of the bush and we could see the river easier, plus with the bridge closed it was quieter, plus the hyena den was right outside.....

john :thumbs_up:

Sorry no pics of balule camp either.
SAY NO TO HOTELS IN KRUGER NP...before its too late

Died and going to heaven....5 weeks in Kruger July/August 2015 ...hope to see you there :-)

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”