Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Are there any good guide books for Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 pm 

I am planning a trip in 2016 or 17. I know that is a few years away, but I love to plan my vacations, & it is almost as much fun as the trip itself, dreaming of the cheetahs etc. SO I am already trying to plan which camps we will stay in etc, but a good guide book would help. Any recommendations? Thanks a million.

Post subject: Re: Are there any good guide books for Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I bought the Globe trotter one and it is interesting - it also has a giant map!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you Moonie :D Never to early to plan. Its part of the excitement.

I use the Prime Origins series: "Exploring Kruger", or "Best Birding in Kruger".

I like these books because they discuss each road in detail, give a brief and concise history, plus a very good description of the various eco zones.

In terms of planning, they might be handy, as the discussion on eco zones allows for an understanding of which animals/birds are found in the different sections of the Park.

The camps and facilities are discussed. There are also easy to read tables giving distances, times camps facilities ect. Common birds and mammals are included and the birding one has a section on raptors.

The only problem I have is that the maps, although excellent, are too small for my eye sight while driving. I usually take another Kruger map when driving..

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:39 am 

Hello Moonie, welcome to the forums.

I use the Honeyguide Map book, which also has maps of all the camps and has pages of all the mammals that are in the park and most of the common birds, to help with identification.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:16 pm 

We do birding walks, here at home in California, so a birding book for the park would be a good help.
I do want to do a couple of guided walks, but we don't have the funds to do the entire safari with a professional, so books to identify the animals & birds will be great.
I love planning, DH thinks I'm nuts, but it is a good part of the trip, to me.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:20 pm 

Hey I love planning, my retirement trip in 24 years has already been sketched out :lol:

There's a book called Roberts's Field Guide to Kruger, which we find very useful for birding. The SASOL Guide to Bird's of Southern Africa is also recommended.

If you can stretch to it, SANParks do morning, sunset and night drives (not all camps off these) that are usually good value and a good guide will give you lots of information and tips on spotting. They also do walks where you can get out and look at the smaller stuff.

Have a look for Beat About the Bush series by Trevor Carnaby - there's one for birds and one for mammals.

We have a fabric cooler bag which we bring with us, great for just moving things between fridges but not for keeping things frozen. However you should be able to pick up a fairly cheap solid box locally. Buy outside the park, especially meat, its cheaper and much better quality.

There is a lot of information on the forum. In 4 years I think you will just about have read it :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lilacroller, I bought my copies at Kruger, but you can also order them through Prime Origins.

They are linked to Wildcard as well. Go to www.primeorigins.co.za.