SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Infants in accom...
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Karriep, I was in Lower Sabie when I heard a conversation about exactly this issue with the receptionist.

The camp was very open to 4 people in a three bedded bungalow as long as they did not need an extra bed or matress. They emphasised that they did not have the equipment to deal with extra people, but if the visitors could bring their own matress, or share a bed, it was fine.

The children in this case were even older.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 pm 

thanks for the quick helpful responses :P

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:50 am 

We often travel with our two toddlers (7&4) and where possible book four beds. Where we have been unable to get 4 beds we have booked three and have never had a problem. In most instances the camps will provide you with an extra mattress but we also travel with our own just in case.

Post subject: Car games to keep kids busy in the park !!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:42 pm 

:think: We put a price on every animal and then making a list for every kid.
At the end of the day the kid with the most sightings win like R100-00 and then for every animal they spotted we give them what ever the price was on that animal.
For example : Leopard for the first sighting R200-00 and there after R50-00 per leopard sighting.
Lion for the first R100-00 and R50-00 there after.
For rare sightings of any type of animal R100-00 and then R20-00.
We don't count Impala though.
You can also give a price for all the predators and another for antelope.

That worked for my kids.
:thumbs_up:

Post subject: kids in kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 am 

going to kruger in september. mostly in south (lower sabie, satara, pkop)

going with my 4yr old and he loves it but trying to convince friends with a 2 and 3 yr old to come along and they worried about the kids being in the car all day....can anyone recommend a link or something giving feedback of happy kids that i can show them.

secondly is there kiddie activities in these camps? other than the swimming pool that we will make full use of.

Post subject: Re: kids in kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 am 

Hi, we took our son 2 years ago when he was 1y old and he survived!
This year we are going with a 4y old and almost 2y old and don't even worry about it!
We did trips during the day and was back in camp by early afternoon sometimes later.

Addo 29 - 31 April 2014

Augrabies 17 - 19 Dec 2014
KTP (Twee Rivieren) 19 - 24 Dec 2014
Mokala (Motswedi Camp) 24 - 27 Dec 2014
Karoo 27 - 29 Dec 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am 

Hi

I took my grand chiuldren to Kruger one the age of 3 the other the age of 6. I made sure we could stop at picnic spots etc. The proof that kids enjoy it? Well they are visiting us from Australia in June/July. Their request
First - Kruger Park
Second Wimpy Bar???
Third Spur restaurant???
Then they are happy for anything else.
If you are at Lower Sabie its always good to come back in for a swim the same at Satara. If you head for Skuukuza the public rest area has a lovely pool there and braaing spots.
I am sure the kids will enjoy it.
Good Luck :gflower: :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I am always concerned when I hear about young children going to Kruger.

Read this first and foremost.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Malaria is deadly to kids under the age of 5.

Always keep in mind that malaria kills more kids in Africa than anything else. At the rate of about a child every 30sec.

I always advise people to rather be "bangjan" than "dooiejan" when it comes to this.

Some people say that malaria is not a problem in Kruger anymore. Don't listen to that hogwash! It is alive and well in Kruger!

Nicolette, I am very concerned about the fact that you've been advised to take antibiotics as a preventative measure. :big_eyes: Maybe I understood you incorrectly. But please rethink that advice.

Yes, malaria has been around for long and most of us are still here. But it only takes one bite and that's that. There are quite a few people on the forums who have contracted malaria in Kruger. If you pick it up soon enough you should be ok, but for kids under 5 even the soonest sign would most probably already be too late.

I saw a mom and a dad in the Wilgers hospital in Pretoria sit next to their deadly sick 7 year old son, crying like babies and wanting to pull their hair out for taking the chance and putting their son in that situation.

My honest opinion is to rather sacrifice Kruger for those few years. NOTHING, but nothing is more important than a child's life. Not even Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 am 

Nicolette all my kids as well as I have been going to the Park since diapers and none of us have ever taken any meds for malaria. I am not saying that is what you should do, but merely stating the truth. Prevention is always better than cure and if you ensure your kids are well covered in tabard by nightfall nothing could happen.

I always get concerned when I read of people trying to keep kids out of the park 'just in case'. In fact I would encourage anybody to take their kids to the Park and introduce them to the wonders it have, before they actually think it is uncool. My youngest is 2 and half years old at the moment and she begs me constantly to go to the Park, which is great because I know she is hooked.

Dont worry too much about keeping them entertained either. We play games in the car and kids have an ability to entertain themselves.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@wildtuinman: doxycycline an antibiotic is all we have ever been prescribed for Malaria and I believe is one of the three most commonly prescribed anti-malarials :?
I hadn't even considered the malaria angle when I read this thread heading.... :hmz:
As a parent that would be a difficult thing for me to weigh up if I had very young children - not sure which way I would go?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sorry Cheetah, only saw your post after I posted mine.

Our 9 years olds will accompany us to Kruger this winter again. Purely for two reasons. It is cooler and mosquitoes are less frequently encountered. We scale down our personal preferences in Kruger when they are along. As much as they enjoy nature, we cannot expect them to sit in a car all day long and look for birds and animals. They get bored and tired after a while and it is unfair to force something upon them. All it does in the end is make them dislike the experience.

You have to keep them entertained almost all the time.

We always play a game in the car to see who spots the best and most animals/birds. Around the fire at night we have a prize giving ceremony. :D

They also have games in the car, Nintendo 3DS, a DVD player and other toys to keep them occupied during lean viewing times.

Out of the camp early with a breakfast at a picnic spot and back in camp before midday is the order of the day. Then they can run around and swim or just relax at camp till our late afternoon drive again.

For those who risk taking younger ones to Kruger. I have found that Berg-n-Dal is a nice camp for them. There used to be a little Jungle Gym near the reception. Unfortunately I am not sure if it is still there. The shallow pool is also safe and very popular.

Camps like Skukuza and Letaba are also great because of their museums. Some camps like Skukuza also still shows films at night.

Kids love toys and shopping. Most of the big camps have lovely shops where they can spend some time at.

Satara and Lower Sabie for instance have nice big lawns with lots of shade where you could let your little rascal run off some energy away from others who the lovely noise of child laughter might annoy.

Teach them to be quiet at bird hides. Most of the old farts spend there time in their and I in particular have had a nasty incident at the Sweni hide one year after a lady made a comment about silence after my daughter had asked a bird related question.

Get them their own cameras as well and encourage them to use it. They at times take the most entertaining photos! :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
And have lots of room in the car and enough pillows and blankies. When they've had enough of each other in the backseat as ours sometime do, split them up. Ours also have their own bird books and animal books. Sharing is caring, but half the time it only works in theory! :lol:

Make sure you have enough snacks and cold drinks in the car. And for heaven's sake, make sure you plan your routes is such a way that you can get to a loo quick enough, especially if you have little girls on board!

Also very important, they have their own binoculars. I realized this one soon enough on our first trip with not enough bins in the car. Nothing more irritating than a child hanging around your neck to use your bins!

Our two rascals also enjoy eating out at restaurants. Kruger has some great ones. 1 out of every 3 nights in a restaurant is quite helpful. If you braai, remember the marshmallows... Nothing keeps a child more occupied than roasting a marshmallow in the fire under your close supervision.

Hmmmm.... what else... We get them those glow in the dark mosquito repellent bracelets. They like that too.

And we always look out for baboons and vervet monkeys. They remain one of the best entertainers in the bush and kids love them! We sometimes spend 30mins or more with a troop to watch all their antics.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Bundi wrote:
Wildtuinman naive is the thought of a children free Kruger. I wonder what the poor staff do with their kids.

And yes I personally turned around at death's door with malaria in the Congo. Twice.

It is purely a personal decision and one each parent should make for themselves.

My kids love Kruger and all the other National Parks we have taken them to, as well as the ones they have seen outside of our borders. I see it as a privilage and not a scare.

Bundi, enough said on malaria and its do's and don't's.

I don't care who says what, kids under 5 years of age is a real high risk as far as malaria goes. I am not saying it, far more educated people proved this!

Do you allow your child to sit in the car without a safety belt on? Do you put a baby chair on the front passenger seat of your car where an airbag is present and not deactivated? Do you allow your child to play alongside a road outside the yard? Those are all potential "Just in case" scenarios. Yet I almost see anyone of the above scenarios on a daily basis! It is mind boggling. The worst mistake anyone can make is to think surely that it would never happen to me. Murphy of Murphy's law fame sure loves Africa!

Child free Kruger? That will never be the case as many people take that risk. Waiting for 5 years before you take a child to Kruger is not just a safer and IMHO, wiser, option, but by that time the child will gather far more out of the experience than what would've been the case as a 1, 2, 3 or 4 year old! It simply just makes more sense in any case.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My kids grew up in one of the worst Malarial areas in SA, and they love Kruger, from the age of , well, not even 1 year. :thumbs_up:

I'm the only one to have contracted Malaria, there are a lot of ways to prevent from being bitten. :wink:

I agree, keep lots of goodies to keep them busy. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next