Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "whoow" sighting or event in KNP
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:50 pm 

Wow Richman it almost sounds like a scene from a Disney movie.

I have one or two moments that stands out:

1) At BnD while lighting my braai fire a leopard strolled along the fence and laid down on the rocky outcrop about 20 m from our bungalow. It stayed there for about an hour before silently disappearing.

2) At Croc Bridge earlier this year I woke up early (still faily dark) and while standing on the porch two massive mail lions made their way right up to the fence in front of the bungalow. All three of us were quite nervous and after a minute or two they turned around and headed towards the river.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:55 am 

FGJJN wrote:
unbelievable sighting of a kill where a pride of lions kill a buffalo

Well our sighting of a kill not involve a lion or any quadruped in fact but nonetheless it was a kill. At Nsemani Pond, we watched a fish eagle dive down into the undergrowth and grab a bird in its talons and then fly off to an open area and eat its prey. This was the only complete kill sequence that we've seen in Kruger and we were able to take a few photographs of the event.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 pm 

Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park
We also had quite a few.

Our first visit to kruger we saw a Leopard killing an Impala in the middle of the road on the S25 {This is my personal whooow moment in kruger}

We once managed to see a Cheetah killing an Impala at Transport Dam.

Spotted a leopard about 5m from road 400m from skukuza gate, he sat under a small bush {You can imagine the traffic jam that we caused :lol: :lol: } Cars were struggling to get in & out of camp.

Hyenas were sleeping right next to the Afsaal Picnic area in a little ditch.

3 male lions killing a Buffalo on the S36 between Orpen and Satara.

In 2006 we saw 4 seperate Lion Prides in one morning between 'Salitjie Road' and Lower Sabie camp.

Over the years we really had brilliant luck. But every moment in kruger is special!

Skukuza 28 - 2 Jan 2013
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I went to KNP (or any game park for that matter) for the first time in 2009, so my first "woohoo" moment was probably the first Impala and Zebra we saw! :redface:

We came within about 2 m of 2 Rhino grazing happily on the side of the road and I was amazed at their sheer size! :shock:

I have since been back 3 times and each time I see something special, but I must say that my recent trip at the beginning of the month probably yielded some of my best "WooooooW" sightings.

We stayed at Tamboti and the weather was, to say the least, shocking, but early on the Wednesday morning, I opted to go out while the rest of the family slowly got out of bed and showered ( and no, that was not the wow sighting!! :lol: :redface: :twisted: ) and I made my way along the H7 towards Satara. There was not much going on, so I headed back to camp and just as I got to the turnoff, I saw what I though was a BBJ. I was so excited to see as I approached that it was actually a pack of 13 wild dogs. This is one of the things on my wish list. They had evidently been chasing the BBJ that were there as well and the Hyena which was also in the area. :dance: :dance:

We then moved to Pkop for a couple of days, with my hubby, daughter and her boyfriend leaving on the Friday evening to fly home and back to the UK, leaving my older daughter and myself in the park until the Sunday. On the Saturday morning, we decided to go down towards LS as there was a lot of activity in that area and as we got the the crossroads near Skukuza, we spotted a couple of cars and the car in front of us did a U-turn and said "Lions", so we dutifully followed......there were 2 male lion visible, walking very slowly through the bush and as I glanced down the road, I spotted a couple of buffalo and realised that they were hunting. I moved past the cars watching the lions and pulled up next to the buffs. We didn't have to wait long when all h*ll broke loose and the buff came crashing through the bush just in front of the car, the 1 lion ran down next to the car and they cornered the 1 buff! As it tried to turn and run, it lost its footing on the tar and the 1 lion was on its back in a flash! Any rodeo rider would have been proud of the way the buff bucked and lion hung on for dear life! As much as I said that I NEVER wanted to see a lion kill, I couldn't move away. :? Unfortunately the picture was taken through the windscreen, so is not very good, but it is still a photo!
There were actually 3 males, with 2 of them doing most of the work and it took them over 15 minutes to finally bring the buff down and kill it. There was none of the guts and gore that I expected, but I did feel really sorry for the buff. :(

On the same evening we saw a lion go for a calling cheetah where he managed to "ankle tap" it, but the cheetah got away and the following morning, the same calling cheetah had a run in with a leopard, but again managed to survive. He was almost teasing the leopard to come and chase him! :twisted:

Not sure how we are going to top what we have seen so far, but we will hope for something more each time.

Last edited by Rookie on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm 
Rookie these sightings will be hard to beat but that is what is so nice about KNP. It delivers something different every time.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

:shock: Rookie... so different sightings
one seems to be pacific
and the other... wow a little bit terrific
nice sightings :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:54 am 

Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park
Okay, I've located my pictures of the leopard kill.

This happened during our first visit to kruger in 2004. We were driving on the S25 towards BnD at about 15:15 in the afternoon. I can remember a silver Toyota Condor came towards us and just as we passed them the road made a small turn and there he was, in the middle of the road. We were so amazed by what we were seeing. The Condor must've missed it by seconds, the impala was still alive when we arrived. I got my camera out and managed to take these three pics {This was taken with my first digital camera with only 3x optical zoom :doh: } But it was still an amazing sighting and one that I wish I can see again as I will appreciate it just so much more this time around!

Skukuza 28 - 2 Jan 2013
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Post subject: How many adult leopards do you have in one photo?
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:06 am 

Location: My hart le in die rooi duine van die Kalahari. Jozi...Ex.Nelspruit
After our recent trip to Balule over the long weekend we were fortunate enough to view 3 adult leopards for about 45 minutes on the S89 +/- 2km from the H1-4 tar road. We had the sighting to our own party of 2 vehicles for about half an hour :dance:

At first we only spotted one leopard in a small dead tree - he was very uncomfortable and kept on looking down at one particular bush. A while later we moved the vehicle to a higher position in order to see what was harassing the leopard. Low and behold a huge male leopard lay waiting down below. Obviously a battle of territory / interest in a female was taking place. Soon afterwards we spotted a third leopard about 20 metres back - this must have been a female as she only watched from a distance.

The male down below attempted to climb the tree but he was rather bulky and soon came tumbling down.

Thereafter 4 Hyena mulled around to see what the commotion was, they left briskly as there was no kill in the vicinity.

The big male moved off slightly and the smaller male then proceeded to come down. Moments later a scuffle erupted which ended soon afterwards and the smaller male and female moved in a westerly direction and the much larger one in the opposite direction.

Quite a sighting.... :mrgreen:

Now how many adult leopards do you have in one picture?

Ps. Would love to upload photo's but it seems it's quite a mission...

Ok thx to LionQueen for the photo hints, I still don't seem to have the correct procedure - Any hints?

Not the best quality pics but they tell a story. :mrgreen:

Last edited by geraas on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Baboon killing and eating Impala
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:33 am 

Hi guys.

I have some pics that I really would like to share with you. On the 2nd of December 2011 we were visiting the KNP and on the H4-1 between Lower Sabie and Skukuza we saw a Baboon that just killed an Impala. For us this was the first time seeing this.

Warm regards,
Remco

Post subject: Re: Baboon killing and eating Impala
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wow, quite a sighting Remco! That looks like an impala fawn by the size of it. No matter how many times I see baboons or chimps eating meat on documentaries or photos like yours, it still seems kind of strange that they are omnivorous. It shouldn't be considering how closely they are related to us!

Post subject: Re: Baboon killing and eating Impala
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

How incredible!!

I have always wanted to see this!

It's actually easy for them as most of the time they hang out with impalas and they aren't looked at as s threat.
Then when they are hungry they just take one.

Lucky sighting and great photo!

Post subject: Re: How many adult leopards do you have in one photo?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here you go 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

geraas wrote:
Thx for posting my pics Ossendryver.
Still can't get it figured out... :hmz:

Pleasure!
Anything for a good sighting!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

kujo wrote:
Wonderful sighting, where is the 3rd I only see 2 in the grass.... :tongue:

Haha!
Well if you need that much help, here you go :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi geraas,
Great sighting and photos. I've never seen more than one adult Leopard at one time let alone three. :thumbs_up: But, I did see five Leopards in one tree last October. :big_eyes:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next