Pretoriuskop Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Jaco V
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp

Unread postby Jaco V » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Stephan,

I cant comment on the huts you booked as we normally camp.

I have driven the Madlabanthu trail twice. I wrote a trip report here about the first time we did te trail.

We did the trail again towards the end of last year. It was dry and a totally different experience. We saw Sable close to Shabeni.
Jakes

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Pretoriuskop Advise

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am

I always like to stop at Mitomeni on the Voortrekker road. Its a lovely peaceful place surrounded by Jakkleberry trees.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 am

I have a very soft spot for Pretorius Kop. It has a charm all of its own. It is possibly a camp that can be enjoyed at every level. The historical significance of the camp is enormous. It is Harry Wolhuter's stomping ground.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Lowveldboy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lowveldboy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 am

Hi Riaan

Pretoriuskop is not a Gameviewers paradise as such, but a really awesome experience.

Seen sable from there twice(shabeni loop and Shitlave dam), Tsetsebe on Voortrekker and all big 5 in the vicinity, also Cheetah near Mestel. So yes the animals are all there, just look.

Shabeni loop is a must, and I love the Fayi loop, see all the plains game.

Best interaction with ellies on Shabeni. Grass was long (higher than a Nissan X-Trail), so before I realised I was in the middle of a breeding herd, switched off the engine (not much more you can do :roll: ), got ready to take a snap or 2. Then it happened, I heard the grass next to my drivers side move and a strange noise. i slowly turned my head and looked smack bang into an ellie trumpet barely outside the window(my windows are always open). He stood there and smelled the car, looked me straight in the eye and then left as quietly as he came. I never breathed so softly in my life. Just proof that the "boring"(lot of people do not like the area at all) Pretoriuskop can also deliver amazing experiences.

IN OTHER WORDS GO AND ENJOY WHEREVER YOU GO!!!! HAVE FUN!!!

:thumbs_up:
TRIP REPORTS
March - Done & Dusted - TRIP REPORT HERE

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Riaan,

I am sure you will have a wonderful time at P-Kop - it really does have a charm of its own.

For what it's worth from our experiences, I would be ready to leave at camp opening and head towards Numbi gate and then take the Albasini road (past Mestel) where we have seen cheetah and serval, turn eastwards along the Doispane road and stop off at Lake Panic. Retrace your route for a while and take the S65 southwards (have had wonderful lion and giraffe sightings along this road), then on to Transport Dam for an hour or so (just never know what will come to drink here, both birds and mammals) then slowly back towards camp calling at Shitlhave and a quick look around the Fayi Loop. That should give you some good sightings for day 1. Day 2 I would try the Fayi loop to start, thern amble along the Voortrekker road, have a break at Afsaal and then go north either on the tar H3 or the sand S114 to check out Biyamiti weir and back to camp via Transport, Shitlhave Dams. We have also been lucky with bird sightings actually in the camp itself. I am sure you will have a fabulous time whichever road you travel.
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=77459Our 2013 Trip Report
... and how I miss being back in the KNP.

debs

Unread postby debs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Pretoriuskop is one of our favourite camps, it has the most fabulous pool and last year we saw 7 wild dog about 3km from camp and we were with them for about 20 mins on our own!! :D
we've had fab rhino sightings also
My girls love this area because of the history of 'Jock of the Bushveld'
It may be hard viewing in the summer time but we have had some fantastic sights there.
KNP 10th - 22nd April 2008
'WOW what a trip'!!

Elsa

Re: Pretoriuskop rocks!!!!!!!

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am

KDJ, I am sure if you have a look Here you will be able to get a pretty good idea what the sites are like.
Enjoy your trip. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Tollie

Pretoriuskop Camp Layout

Unread postby Tollie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Can someone please tell me which bungalows have been assigned to the BD2Z range. Much appreciated.

Elsa

Re: Pretoriuskop Camp Layout

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi Tollie,

I am not sure if you mean what type and the facilities of that particular bungalow?
but here are the details as per the website.

Here

Hope it helps.

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Pretoriuskop Camp Layout

Unread postby Weltenman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:13 am

Here is a link to the map, hopefully it will open in full.

Camp Map
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

DinkyBird

Re: Primate Problem @ Pretoriuskop

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 am

Rooie wrote:Good day all. We will be leaving for Pretoriuskop on 20 April 2012 and this actually came as a shock!!! We encountered lots off problems with Primates during our camping live and now I wonder if we should go??? :hmz:

You must go! Just do as advised and make sure you take all the necessary precautions. :wink:

We thought we had the whole thing of camping baboon proof totally waxed ... but they still beat us at it. You live and learn :P

A lesson that one needs to pack all food containers away, inside. (with windows/doors closed)

They are not interested in tinned goods :whistle: (even organic, the fussy things!)

They cannot open a strap around an ammo box ... but they will chuck the box around trying to.

Haspin staple also beats them ... but again the box gets thrown around and the contents become .... very messy :evil:

And welcome to the forums Rooie! :dance:
Sawubona
Dalene

Elsa

Re: Primate Problem @ Pretoriuskop

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm

We stayed in P/kop for 2 nights recently and did see a lot of monkeys and some Baboons in camp, even saw some young Monkeys playing and a little baboon joined in with them and played happily for ages. :wink:

The staff were trying to chase them with a catapult but as soon as his back was turned they were back again.

We made sure our doors and windows were closed at all times even when sitting outside on the little verandah, which was just as well as we had a big male Monkey come boldly up to the door several times and peer in, then jump up on the window sills trying each and every window in turn.
He wasn't at all scared of us altho we didn't do anything to aggravate him just in case.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Huts at Pretoriuskop

Unread postby Hugh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:25 pm

All bedding including towels and soap are provided . . You will have a braai area but must bring your own utensils.

"1 bedroom with 2 single beds
Communal ablutions
Communal Kitchen
Fan
No electric points or Fridge
No Smoking
No utensils"
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:26 am

ECV hello, we stayed in a hut last July, we found bedding and towels,a small cake of soap and two glasses and two extra blankets, we moved the table and chairs outside so we could sit around the braai and eat, we only stayed for one night but we had a good nights sleep as well as being very warm, hope you have a wonderful visit to the best place on earth
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby naomi c » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:47 am

Not to worry Helsinki, the EB2 huts have a fridge and aircon - so there are plugpoints. And every hut has its own braai. :D

Enjoy your trip! :thumbs_up:

(We always take along a multiplug - very handy.)

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”