Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Hi thebush.

Ideally, Malanil should be started 2-3 days prior to entry of a malarial area, used for the time in the malarial area, and then continued for a week after exiting the malarial area. Some sources say 1 day prior to entry of the malarial area is also sufficient. Remember that malaria is not an instant disease in that it takes a few days before the progression of the disease is severe enough to be noticed and to cause problems; therefore, even if you were unlucky to be infected on day 1 (pretty unlikely really), as long as you take Malanil every day at the correct dosing and don't skip doses, the blood levels should be sufficient to prevent you getting malaria, or at the very least lessening the severity of the disease.

Personally, I wouldn't be overconcerned with taking Malanil 12 hours before you enter Kruger because, in any case, malaria infection could only really take place from that evening, which is about 24 hours (1 day) since you began the course. The most important thing is to take the course diligently after beginning; to not forget that non-drug measures (antimalarial sprays, plug-in mats, netting, citronella candles, etc.) are just as, if not more, important as antimalarial medication; and to enjoy your holiday!

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
With the amount of rain that fell in Kruger, great precaution must be taken in the next few months. Rather be safe thatn sorry.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Advice Given rather than received-Malaria
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Are there any figures or estimates as to how many people contract malaria after visits to K.P.?
Perhaps on a monthly basis.
Many thanks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:37 am 

what is the incubation period for malaria?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Yusuf, 7 to 12 days.

Malaria is well alive and kicking in Kruger! Make sure you take precautions. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 pm 

Tanks wildtuinman.Will be at LS for 8 days in june GOD willing. Will precautions with spray and coils be sufficient?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Yusuf, my ex-wife picked up malaria in Kruger in May 2003 (being bitten once at Lower Sabie and once at Balule, so take extra care at these two camps). Since then a lot of people had asked me for advice and every time I say the same thing: I cannot give you advice as I am not a doctor. But the one thing I can tell you is to avoid getting bitten by a mosquito at all costs. So yes use spray and burn coils, do whatever is necessary to prevent you from getting bitten.

The deadliest place for me personally where one has an absolutely awesome chance of getting bitten is in the communal bathrooms. It is nice and warm and humid in there, perfect habitat for a mozzie and once you are in your birth suite you give an open invitation to get bitten! So take extra caution here.

Enjoy your trip and have a blast! :D :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 pm 
Yusuf wrote:
what is the incubation period for malaria?

For Plasmodium Falciparum - which is the by far the most common, and generally also the most dangerous, form of malaria in Southern Africa (and also many other parts of the world) - the incubation period (that is, the time from infection until the disease shows itself) is usually between 1 and 3 weeks. However, some malaria infections only manifest later, even up to three to six months, although this appears to be much rarer and is usually the result of an inadequate (incorrect dosing) or incomplete (course not completed or doses missed) treatment of antimalarial medications.

Other forms of malaria, which are known as recurring forms, are seldom fatal, but have incubation periods usually up to a year, or even longer. These forms (P. vivax, P. malariae, and P. ovale) are seldom encountered in Southern Africa.

It is important, therefore, to ensure that one takes adequate precautions against malaria bites in malarial areas (especially during high-risk season, but also in low-risk times), and, when appropriate, that one uses antimalarial medications.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm 
wildtuinman wrote:
Yusuf, my ex-wife picked up malaria in Kruger in May 2003 (being bitten once at Lower Sabie and once at Balule, so take extra care at these two camps). Since then a lot of people had asked me for advice and every time I say the same thing: I cannot give you advice as I am not a doctor. But the one thing I can tell you is to avoid getting bitten by a mosquito at all costs. So yes use spray and burn coils, do whatever is necessary to prevent you from getting bitten.

The deadliest place for me personally where one has an absolutely awesome chance of getting bitten is in the communal bathrooms. It is nice and warm and humid in there, perfect habitat for a mozzie and once you are in your birth suite you give an open invitation to get bitten! So take extra caution here.

All camps in Kruger have malaria-carrying mosquitoes that can infect people; those nearest water do generally appear to have more mosquitoes - but no camp, and indeed no area of Kruger, is free of these dangerous insects! High-risk time means an even greater quantity of malaria-carrying mosquitoes.

I do agree that communal bathrooms can pose a higher risk of contracting malaria as the body is indeed usually exposed in its entirety and windows and doors may be open.

Post subject: Re: Upset Stomach with Malarone
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

Just a thought - as it hasn't been mentioned here:
We have used Malarone or Lariam (depending on length of trip) with no side affects except for "lariam dreams" over some years now.
However, we only take the tablets AFTER dinner.
I suspect a full stomach reduces any unpleasant effects for us.
Cheers
Ash

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Assuming the formulations are identical and just the branding name that differs, we have used Malanil (Malarone) and Malanil Paediatric for protracted periods with virtually no side effects other than myself who on one occasion developed minor tiny mouth ulcers for three days which then cleared up.We always take them early morning post breakfast. Have to say I am quite surprised by this report back.These are the first negatives I have encountered and it has been quite a few years now. Reckon a chat with the doc may shed some light, failing which a switch is probably on the cards anyway. Completely understand your concerns about precious holiday time quality being compromised :( Hope you get some workable solution ------

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My family and I have had bad side effects to most medication, but Malerone has tended to have the fewest. My daughter travels to maleria areas often and is careful with her eating, because she tends to have a sensitive response. She swears that Oats help her with tummy problems.

Doxy tabs can cause intense nausea and vomiting in some. My worst memory is of the whole family standing at the side of the road, throwing up breakfast. We found that if we took them after breakfast, particularly if there was a bit of porrige, it helps. Porrige actually gives a good lining and can even have some anti-inflamitory effects. We had not been doing it before, because, if I remember correctly, milk was contra indicated when taking the tablets.

With Doxycycline, you do have to be careful of the sun. Fair people can burn very badly.

Larium must never be taken if there is any history of anxiety and depression. I never had a problem with Larium, other than the Larium dreams. I took it once when I was going through a very stressful time with exams and finishing a project. To my horror, when I arrived home I started have serius panic attacks, enough to send my to a Psychiatrist. She stated that she has seen this side effect fairly often and has even had to admit people for psychosis.

So, if you are under unusual stress, even if you have no history of anxiety, take care.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm 

Does anyone know what the current risk status is for malaria in KNP? Also, those who have been there recently - are there still lots of mozzies?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Watched an interesting TV program the other night , wherein it was stated that according to research , about 92 % of infectious mozzi bites take place around your ankles . So , just by covering your ankles , the chances of you receiving malaria could be reduced by 92 % :whistle: :hmz:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Wrists are another mozzie bite hot spot for some reason.

:hmz: If you are covered up in those areas would they go for uncovered areas or other people who are uncovered there.

Now there's a doctorate waiting........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 81  Next