[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Heron: White Backed Night-
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

These are two post from SABN. Hope i'm allowed to do this

Quote:
Hi other netters interested in the Shipandani WBNHs

The WBNHs (yes, plural...) were seen on 23 and 24 September 2006, at which stage they were sitting on a clutch of 3 eggs. Directly in front of the hide on the far side of the river is a solitary palm tree / bush growing out of / on the river bank - the nest was situated in overhanging vegetation directly below and slightly to the left of the palm (if you were to draw an imaginary square over the palm, the nest was in the bottom left hand corner of the square... if that makes any sense...?).

The best views were probably obtained from the first 3 benches on your left as you enter the hide and, although well camouflaged when sitting still on the nest, the bird was nonetheless visible. Both prospective parents did however come and go at irregular intervals, at which point they'd obligingly pose for saturation scope and binocular views (I hate it when that happens...).

Good luck and let the rest of us know if there are any hatchlings / fledglings around!

Quote:
WHITE-BACKED NIGHT-HERONS AND OTHER GEMS ON THE LETABA RIVER

I was in the northern Kruger National Park last weekend and stayed at Shimuweni Bush Camp - north-west of Letaba. We enjoyed some terrific birding without even leaving the the camp, with all the usual suspects putting in an appearance. In the late afternoon we decided to go on the 'sunset' drive organised by the camp and our excellent driver-guide Johan took us across a causeway on the Letaba River. As the sun was setting, a glorious female Greater Painted Snipe was seen on the causeway, with a radiant Malachite Kingfisher perched directly behind it, low in the reeds; quite a picture! Also tip-toeing about in the shallows were Greenshank, Wood Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Black Crake and Three-banded Plover. On our return over this same causeway at about 19h15, an adult and immature White-backed Night- Heron were fishing (or frogging?) in the shallow water as it spilled over the road . . . the birds were quite relaxed in the spotlight and provided brilliant views as hundreds of fireflies danced above the inky water (this magical sighting overshadowed the powerful male Leopard we had encountered about ten minutes earlier). Watching a glowing full moon rise above the leafless baobab trees, while an African Scops-Owl chirped nearby, rounded off a memorable evening.

These are truely amazing birds and very hard to find. Still need then for my list

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
You are more then welcome!

Thanks Snoobab! :wink:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Snoobab!! When I saw your post yesterday, I sms-ed the info to cybeR@NGER who's staying at Mopani, and he saw one of the WBNHs still on the nest near Shipandani this morning. He didn't mention hatchlings, but he did manage a pic! :D
I'll post the rest of his story in his trip report, later today.

This is one of the things I love about these forums... not just keeping in touch with people in the parks, but also being able to point their noses in the right direction from time to time! :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:58 pm 

Also saw them two weeks ago and sent a post in which must have gone somewhwere else . Couldnt see if they were on eggs or chicks but saw the adults clearly. Its always been a dead cert place to see this bird but mainly with overnighters. I think my news breaking post could be on the Shipandani Hide post itself.

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ha! when will the day come? :roll:

Post subject: Re: Heron: White Backed Night-
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:00 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Photographed at Lake Panic

First saw one at Lake Panic on 9 February 2011. Last week (28/02/2011 - 04/03/2011) we attended a workshop at Skukuza and saw them on all the days.

Below my post to SA Bird Net on the various sightings for those not subscribed to the email list:

Quote:
We were lucky to spend the last week in Skukuza while attending a workshop. No work trip would be complete without working some birding into the mix.

With the workshop starting at 08:00 we (Tertius Gous and myself) left camp at 05:30 on Tuesday morning for Lake Panic (and subsequent mornings) to see if we could relocate the White-backed Night-heron I saw 3 weeks ago while on holiday.

We located the bird within 30 minutes and over the 3 mornings and 2 afternoons spend in the hide I observed the birds for close to 10 hours making it easier to relocate it each time. Wednesday morning at 07:40 the one bird (by this time we determined that there were 2) treated us by coming out in the open. As the workshop starts at 08:00 the only logical decission was to be late as we had to get some photographs.

This morning (Thursday) we also located the nest within the thicket the birds keep too and could see the movement of at least one chick on the nest [Jakkalsbessie subsequently informed me that they saw 2 chicks on 6/2/2011]. Those who know Lake Panic will be familiar with the fallen tree across the way and the thicket under which the hippos like to lie. The best place to search from is the extreme left of the hide facing at an angle into the thicket. As the birds sit very still one will have to scan and scan and scan the thicket constantly although round about 07:20 the birds become a bit more “active“ preening feathers and with the sun reaching parts of the thicket they might move into less dense areas.

In addition to the birds above we also on 3 consecutive evenings observed one bird flying upstream (right to left) over the Sabie river in front of Skukuza. All observations were between 18:30 and 18:40. The best position is the benches next to the river beneath the ABSA guest house (facing the river this is to the far left) As the time gets close keep a vigilant look out for the bird down stream as it appears quickly and flies with determination. It keeps about 2m above the water. The times given are when we saw it now but it might be that the bird does not wear a watch and just wait for specific light intensity to show itself so get to the spot just after 18:00 with some liquid refreshment and enjoy the bush sounds while waiting.

Hopefully some of you would be fortunate enough to visit Kruger soon and also connect with these birds if you still need to tick them.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanx Francoisd :thumbs_up:

You also must be gaining quite a list of birds photographed. Anyway for those who are interested, also saw a WBNH at the causeway next to Lower Sabi on the unset drive.

Out of interest while working in the Sabi Sands there was a breeding pair on the causeway that I saw from time to time. THis was on the Sand RIver about 20km upstream from the confluence with the Sabi.
So obviously seems to be a decent population in this general area.
:)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:48 am 

I've only ever seen the WBNH once: January 2010, Balule low-water bridge around 4.30 AM, just after having left Balule camp. I would love to see this marvelous creature again....

Next trip to Kruger: 25.7-3.8 2014, Bird list KNP: 257 species

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sabi River, near the bridge/dam wall at Lower Sabie, and the low bridge/causeway at Skukuza. Always on night drives. At Skukuza, the guide identified the bird as a Grey Heron !!!

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:15 pm 

Spend a couple of hours at Lake Panic at the beginning of last week. Could not re-locate the pair of White-backed Night herons. Water level quite high and seems it was even higher.

In 2 hours on the one day I only managed 10 bird species at Lake Panic which is unheard off. :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lower Sabie night drive over the high level bridge

IMG_8913 by DvdBergh, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Still on my wishlist!

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Laine's 600th lifer:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great shot!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Verrrrrry nice!

Not often one gets a daytime sighting of this wader of the night. Lekker one for #600! :clap: :clap: :clap: