Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lawrence Anthony passes away
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The conservation world will be in deep mourning at the news of the passing away, last night, of Lawrence Anthony - what a wonderful role he has played across the world! I think many people have read his wonderful books and are in awe of a man who put nature first! The Elephant Whisperer is no more but long may his legacy reign!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Last edited by Penny on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Anthony Lawrence passes away
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:( Wonderful books, wonderful man

Post subject: Re: Anthony Lawrence passes away
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Not to far to drive bet yet to close to fly. Roodepoort
RIP Anthony

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=62809

Post subject: Re: Lawrence Anthony passes away
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

RIP Elephant Whisperer

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Condolances to the family.

RIP Anthony.

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:23 pm 

R I P Lawrence.

Sincerest condolences to the family.

Lawrence your books were an inspiration.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oh no, how sad! Goodbye Elephant Whisperer!
I attended one of his wonderful presentations in November and he was due to do another on Rhinos as a fundraiser at the end of March in Durban.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
RIP Lawrence :sad:
You have brought so much into our lives, your legend will always lives on !

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Very sad news :( RIP Elephant Whisperer!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Very sad news. What an amazing man who had the courage and honesty to speak about the emotional side of his work with wildlife as well as the practical side. His writing really made an impression on me. My sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I heard the news yesterday. :(

What a man of inspiration and courage. He lived a life that shines. To me he epitomises hope. A true healer.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Very sad news.
He was a giant among conservationists.

Condolensces to his family.

May the Lord give his family, friends and colleagues the strength to continue the good work that he started.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:41 pm 

My goodness, what terrible news. I have only just finished reading the "Elephant Whisperer". I truly pray that his dream of a bigger reserve incorporating the locals will become a reality.
Our condolences to friends and family. May he rest in peace.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This article appeared in the Zululand Observer:

uLale ngokuthula, sizohlala sikukhumbula...
(Rest in peace, you will always be remembered)

Lawrence Anthony (1950 - 2012)

The funeral of Lawrence Anthony will be held at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban, courtesy of the Ethekwini Municipality on Thursday March 8, at 2pm. The family welcomes all who wish to celebrate the life of the Elephant Whisperer

The Zululand community and the conservation world at large are in mourning following the sudden death of acclaimed conservationist and lauded ‘elephant whisperer’ Lawrence Anthony. Anthony, the son of Zululand Observer founder and current Managing Director Reg Anthony, died in his sleep in Johannesburg on Friday morning. He was 61 years old. Founder of The Earth Organisation, Anthony was due to hold a conservation gala dinner in Durban later this month to raise international awareness of the rhino-poaching crisis, and to launch his new book, ‘The Last of the Rhinos (The Powerful Story of One Man’s Battle to Save a Species)’. He was born in 1950 in Johannesburg, and matriculated at Empangeni High School in 1968. But before that, his childhood in Malawi, Zimbabwe and Zambia had imbued him with a deep love for the ‘African bush’. He lived on his beloved game reserve and animal rehabilitation centre, Thula Thula Private Game Reserve near Heatonville.

A life well lived
Anthony was internationally acclaimed for his conservation projects. He was also an international explorer, sought-after public speaker and best-selling author. Anthony’s rescue of the Baghdad Zoo animals during the coalition invasion of Iraq in April 2003 received international acclaim. After the invasion he was appointed administrator of the zoo by the US Army, being responsible for the stabilisation and rehabilitation of wildlife and overseeing veterinarian care. His subsequent book ‘Babylon’s Ark’ won critical acclaim, and may be made into a film with the working title ‘Good Luck Mr Anthony’ that has been commissioned by Beacon Pictures in Los Angeles.

His second book, ‘The Elephant Whisperer’, was an international bestseller and was translated into French, German, Italian and Chinese. In 2007, Lawrence submitted the Wildlife in Warzones draft resolution to the United Nations in New York. The draft obliges member states to protect wildlife and the environment in war zones and to treat zoos, game reserves, marine parks, veterinary facilities and game rangers as illegitimate targets of war. In the same year, Anthony conducted an expedition deep into the jungles of the Democratic Republic of Congo to meet with leaders of the notorious Lords Resistance Army (LRA), a Ugandan rebel group involved in a 20-year war with the Ugandan government.

He addressed the entire military high command on the need for peace, and reinforced an agreement reached with the political wing in Southern Sudan, to protect the critically endangered Northern White Rhino and the Congo pygmy giraffe. This period is the subject of his latest book. Feted all over the world, Anthony’s principle focus throughout his life was his work with Zululand rural communities, and his belief that they should see the benefits of conservation. Anthony created two African reserves, the Royal Zulu biosphere situated south of the Umfolozi Game Reserve in KZN, and the Mayibuye Community Game Reserve at Camperdown, KZN.

Humanitarian
Anthony was also known for his humanitarian work, which included being a principal guest speaker at the first Iraq Human Rights Conference held in Kurdistan that started the formal process to introduce human rights into Iraq. He also presented the South African model for the Truth and Reconciliation Commission to members of the Iraq Governing Council and senior members of the Iraq judiciary. On his expedition to the DRC, he convinced the LRA to halt attacks on civilians in northern Uganda.

Family man
Anthony leaves behind his wife Francoise, sons Jason and Dylan, grandsons Ethan and Brogan, brother Gavin and sister Terry, as well as a beloved extended family. His funeral has been tentatively planned for Thursday in Durban. Further details regarding the venue and time will be posted as soon as arrangements have been confirmed, on both the Zululand Observer and Thula Thula websites. (www.zululandobserver.co.za and www.thulathula.com)

‘One of Zululand’s greatest’

Conservationist, best-selling author, activist, ambassador and an ordinary decent man. Lawrence Anthony’s colleagues, acquaintances, friends and fans were shocked and saddened by the news of his death. But all emphasised that his legacy lived on.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This was posted on Thula Thula's FB page on 3rd March:

Tonight at Thula Thula, the whole herd arrived at the main house, home to Lawrence and I. We had not seen them here for a very long time. Extraordinary proof of animal sensitivity and awareness that only a few human can perceive. And Lawrence was one of them. Thank you for your wonderful messages. Lawrence's legacy will be with us forever at Thula Thula.

Gave me goosebumps!

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER