Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marakele - Disappointing, yet magnificent
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:02 am 

Hi,

Is it possible to post photos of the "post-upgrade" of the Tented Camp? If Possible, also the distance between tents?

Post subject: Disappointed in Marakele
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 am 

We visited Marakele Friday/Saturday enad left Sunday the 26th of February. All the write-up hed me all exited as I am a keen wildlife photographer. What a disappointment as I did not even take 20 photos the whole weekend. I will say that I will never go back to Marakele again but rather stuggle to get place in the Kruger as each visit there had been great and I came back with thousands of photos already. SO NO MORE MARAKELE FOR ME AGAIN.

Post subject: Re: Disappointed in Marakele
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi robertwintle,
Too bad about the disappointment. I've never been to Marakele and like you I read quite a bit about it. There must have been something positive you could have taken from there. How about the resident Rhinos at the camp grounds or the drive up to the lookout? Maybe it was just bad timing.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:45 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi robertwintle,

If you are a wildlife photographer, you probably would enjoy Kruger more. Marakele is not a park for exiting big 5 sightings although there has been reports of very special sightings there.

Marakele is rather a place where one goes to enjoy nature and to recharge ones batteries, it's peaceful calm and simply wonderful if that is what you are after. Also depends what you would like to photograph, SO has disk full of Marakele pics. :wink:

No bird sightings? We usually find the birding in Marakele to be very special and also other small animal sightings. We had a spotted genet visit camp, bushbabies bouncing through the trees above the braai and springhare around the tent to name a few. We often see breeding herds of elephant and oh yes, the rhino. :)

Pity you found it disappointing but there is nothing wrong in wanting to see more of the larger game. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Robert, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with Marakela. I have never been there, but have wanted to go because of its scenery.

I remember the first time I went to Mapengubwe. I had to consciously supress all expectations. We are very spoilt in Kruger and its difficult not to make comparisons. If you do go again, I hope that your experience id more rewarding.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We visit Marakele as often as possible and think it is pure heaven for any lover of nature!

I have hundreds of Marakele pics - animals, birds, butterflies, flowers - not to mention the scenery!

We saw our first and only Aardvark there last year - only car at the sighting, lots of pics. :dance:

Same with Mapungubwe - pure magic, just never try and compare it with KNP.

Sorry for your disappointment though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am 

No I must admit, we did enjoy some of it. The trip to the view point was quite exciting as I have fear for hightes and it was scary but still beautiful. The resident Rhinos just visited the waterhole and did not come close to the camp. when it comes to the photography part I am a keen birder and that is where I was disappointed. I think I can truly say we had very bad experience as we nearly saw no birdlife at all.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:10 pm 

A truth has been told ... never compare any park with KNP. It is different and that is good. :thumbs_up:

I am sorry about the lack of birds you experienced. It must have been disappointing to go with the expectation, and return without it being met. :(

But it is as always ... right time, right place and no guarantees. :doh:

What I like about Marakele is that you can see birds there, and mammals, which you do not see in KNP.

I always love that drive up to the view point, especially if you have a scared passenger next to you! :lol:

We always end our visit by driving around the mountain on the outside of the park, to the bottom of the vulture colony. That is also special.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
We always end our visit by driving around the mountain on the outside of the park, to the bottom of the vulture colony. That is also special.

Can you tell me more about how to find this vulture colony? I will be visiting Marakele in April and this sounds very interesting! 8)

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 pm 

You must truly enjoy you trip to the parks....

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm 

Arks, when you exit the gate, turn right onto the main road. After a few km's the road becomes gravel, just carry on straight. You will go up a beautiful little pass with spectacular views. When you reach the top, watch the vertical rock face inside Marakele, you'll be driving down the outside of the fence. You should pick it up quite easily by the white wash on the rock face. Maybe Imberbe can give you an indication of how far to travel? I'm hopeless with judging distances. :lol:
The nesting site is quite a distance from the road so make sure to take good binoculars and a nice zoom lens. :thumbs_up:

The best way to get stunning views of the vultures is by going up the mountain first thing in the morning. Take some coffee and wait for them to take flight. You should see them circling up if you watch the sky towards Thabazimbe. You often see them at eye level and very close.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:10 pm 

Should that not be left at the exit of the gate, if you turn right you go to Thabazimbi

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:14 pm 

Sjeez.... yes, robertwintle. :slap:

Rephrase Arks, your left, might be my right but your left! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Fair enough robert.

But you shouldn't struggle to get accomm in Kruger in Feb :wink: Camps like Malalane are very empty in Feb! And even the zoo camps like Lower Sabie have plenty free in Feb! The bee eaters and rollers will be all over the show :dance:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 pm 

Yeah I would be there in an instant but my current health issues is prohibiting me from going to the Kruger. I am on Chemo and not allowed to go to malaria areas as my immunity is like in zero and if I do pick up malaria I will be extremely sick. I am not allowed to use anti malaria medication currently. So that is my reason for not going to the Kruger Park. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next