Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 60 of 76
 [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Unavailable accommodations due to flooding
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:14 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
:thumbs_up: We have asked Lesego to ask Joep to clarify here.

Okie, this was in the last media release on the floods:
Quote:
For Balule and Tamboti, where damage was extensive and reconstruction is expected to take several months, guests with bookings will be contacted in order to change bookings.

And this is also something Joep posted in the Tamboti topic that you could find interesting:- see here.

We are camping in Balule from 2 March and were not contacted. When I eventually contacted reservations I was told our booking was not affected. As it is only a couple of days before we start the long trek I can only hope and pray all is on order... 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Dogbert wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:
:thumbs_up: We have asked Lesego to ask Joep to clarify here.

Okie, this was in the last media release on the floods:
Quote:
For Balule and Tamboti, where damage was extensive and reconstruction is expected to take several months, guests with bookings will be contacted in order to change bookings.

And this is also something Joep posted in the Tamboti topic that you could find interesting:- see here.

We are camping in Balule from 2 March and were not contacted. When I eventually contacted reservations I was told our booking was not affected. As it is only a couple of days before we start the long trek I can only hope and pray all is on order... 8)

I trust that is the case Dogbert 8) You should be contacted only if it is affected.
Have a good time in Balule :dance:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:09 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

Regarding the bookings affected by flood damage, the position adopted by SANParks is as follows:

1. If your booking is affected, we will contact you. Those that could not be contacted and wish to enquire are welcome to contact me or any of our call centres.
2. In cases where bookings need to be changed, you can choose alternative accommodation, depending on availability, obviously.
3. Where the alternative accommodation is more expensive, regrettably you will be required to pay the difference.
4. Where the alternative accommodation is cheaper, fortunately you will be refunded the difference.
5. In cases where no alternatives are available or to your satisfaction, the booking will be cancelled and the monies refunded or credited to your SANParks account for future use. Such cancellation, due to flood damage, would not incur any cancellation or amendment costs.

I hope and trust that this clarifies SANParks position in this regard and if there are any queries, you are welcome to contact me on joep.stevens@sanparks.org

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Am happy I am not affected by this, I see no goodwill coming from Sanparks side. The least any other company would have done was upgraded the client into next level accomodation at same cost. Here it is pay more or cancel. These people have paid months in advance with the interest etc already accumulating in the Sanparks account. It is already wrong that if you book and pay a year in advance that you pay the same as someone who can book and pay and arrive the next day, but here you are being forced to take the higher accomodation or cancel your whole holiday. Some people budget for these things.
How to make your clients happy, if you cannot supply or deliver what they paid for, give them an ultimatum in your favour. :slap:

Sorry Joep, this is not personal at you, but the companies PR and treatment of their loyal clients (who else but your most loyal clients pay a year in advance) leaves a lot to be desired.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And so all the good work done by the SANParks PR department (Kruger division) during the actual flood is completely undone...

No doubt by some short sighted individual sitting somewhere far from the Park at Head Office (as is usually the case), but it is undone nonetheless...

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Those who booked over the internet paid 11 months in advance and must be truly committed, but many would have paid the deposit only and the full payment would be due a month before visit date.
I think the park needs our financial support at this time and because there is such a huge range in types of accommodations and prices, it is difficult to offer an equal substitute.
I would rather choose my own alternative if there is availability, which is not easy over school holidays.

Post subject: Re: Kruger is flooding
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:09 am 

It's been a while since the last update, I hope things are going well with repairs, especially the campsite and bridge at Balule :pray: we are booked there in June.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 am 

I can't see what else they could do, there are a finite number of beds available at any given time and this policy is in line with industry standards, if not over and above them. Most hotels I know would have just closed down completely until the work is completed and relied on the insurance to cover the loses.
Quote:
It is already wrong that if you book and pay a year in advance that you pay the same as someone who can book and pay and arrive the next day

Personally I'd much rather know its a fixed price all year round rather than feel ripped off when the price doubles or triples at Christmas or other holidays. And SANParks offer discounts, which are well publicised.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In fact, it is often possible to get a very good deal at the last minute from hotels and resorts.
If we know where and when we want a room, be it Kruger or elsewhere, we need to book it and pay the going rate.
If we leave it till the last minute we risk not getting any vacancy.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can I ask those that feel that SANParks have dropped the ball, what type of compensation would you have suggested?

Post subject: Roads still closed after flooding.
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 am 

Has any updated information regarding the status of the roads been published lately? Which roads are still closed and which roads have been re opened since the last statement released?? It has been a while since I have seen any information in this regard and we are heading on our annual Kruger trip in a few weeks and would like to plan our trips. Thx

Post subject: Re: Roads still closed after flooding.
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am 

Hi Zorilla

I am going to merge your post to the flooding topic so SANParks can pick up your Q.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Weltenman wrote:
Can I ask those that feel that SANParks have dropped the ball, what type of compensation would you have suggested?

I would have thought that equal or better (obviously not at 5 times the price, but the nearest available to what you had), or as close as possible to what you had that may be slightly lower (with associated refund of the difference) would have been the PR-correct way to go. It may have cost the Park some money, but ultimately it probably would have held longer term benefits.

If I book a room in a hotel, and for some reason that room isn't available, I would expect to get something very similar to what I'd originally booked, with no added financial burden to myself.

Call it a short term loss, for a longer term gain.

It would be interesting to know (obviously at a later stage when some intelligent assessment of the situation can take place) how much money it would have cost Kruger to upgrade customers where necessary, and how many customers were actually affected.

Also, it's not the tourists fault their accommodation is no longer available, it's also (in most cases I'd wager) the furthest thing from their minds that perhaps in the circumstances Kruger doesn't have the money to spare. Many will simply perceive it to be yet another parastatal ripping off its customers.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

I think the point being missed by many in this regard is the fact that this situation is not the result of any action of SANParks, but an act of nature. Yes, as mentioned by some comparing, us to hotels, if it was as a result of a problem caused by SANParks, eg overbookings, then I agree 100%, it is acceptable practice to not inconvenience the guests with additional costs, when they are upgraded.

Thanks for the support and understanding by many!

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Joep and I understand it is an act of nature and not an overbooking. I still maintain that accomodation should be provided in next level up if the same is not available and I would expect that from the industry unless nothing else was available, which in this case it is not.

The loss of income is being dealt with by insurance for the damaged unit. Why then not allow the client next up at the same money, this way client feels he is being looked after and Sanparks are receiving an income for a unit that would have been standing empty anyhow. :hmz: Now you have a peeved/disillusioned client who would not book in advance again and an empty unit.

Weltenman wrote:

Equal or better, these people have invested their money at the beginnng booking this holiday, whether they paid a deposit or full, the money is paid over and earning an interest for Sanparks. They could possibly have lost other holiday plans for this and may have to pay more because of lateness of booking now and some take annual leave with this booking in mind. The client has gone to an expense booking ahead and would now have lost bank interest, banking fees etc etc. Is a client reimbursed with interest and banking fees or is he just out of pocket for those, so how come it s alright then for a loyal client to be out of pocket, but Sanparks cannot be out of pocket?

Orange wrote:
It would be interesting to know (obviously at a later stage when some intelligent assessment of the situation can take place) how much money it would have cost Kruger to upgrade customers where necessary, and how many customers were actually affected.

Orange, I believe minimal, in fact Sanparks would be ahead as per my point above, not only in monetary value, but the marketing and pr value is immeasurable with just a little gesture.

At end of the day, I call it customer service.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 76  Next