Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keetmanshoop to KTC
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 pm 

Certainly will do. And with my spotting telescope I got for Christmas I will happily sit and do some birding.

Post subject: Mata-Mata Border crossing
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:27 am 

We are traveling from Namibia through Mata-Mata on the 1May. Then doing the Echo trail starting at Nossob.
If we exit via Twee-Rivieren 5 days later, do we need to have our passports stamped coming into the park on the 1 May and again on leaving on the 6th?

Post subject: Re: Mata-Mata Border crossing
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:52 am 
Guru
Guru

Adele73,

Since you enter from Namibia, your passport will be stamped at Mata-Mata and you need to stamp it again when you exit at Twee Rivieren.

Post subject: Namibian Border crossings
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:28 pm 

Good evening,

I red through all the comments but I would like to confirm the following. Entering the KTP through Twee Rivieren and leaving the park through Mata Mata, please confirm the days allowed to leave the park after the passports were stamped at Twee Rivieren. We plan to stay at Twee Rivieren for 3 days and then 4 days at Grootkolk, then leaving through Mata Mata, without returning to Twee Rivieren first.

I would also want to know if there will be enough time to travel from Grootkolk to Mata Mata te leave the park before 4 pm. According the travelling hours that should be possible, but I also took notice from commets in the forum that this might be a bit tight.

Can anybody help me?

Kindest regards,
Kiba.

Post subject: Re: Namibian Border crossings
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello kiba and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
We plan to stay at Twee Rivieren for 3 days and then 4 days at Grootkolk, then leaving through Mata Mata, without returning to Twee Rivieren first.

That sounds great :thumbs_up: You do know that you need to "check out" of the SA side at TR sometime before you leave for Grootkolk ?

Quote:
I would also want to know if there will be enough time to travel from Grootkolk to Mata Mata te leave the park before 4 pm.

You don't say what time of year you'll be there.
Grootkolk is 105km from Nossob which, via the Upper Dune road, is about 164 km from MataMata :hmz:
Do-able but you'll have to leave as the gates open and not waste time on sightings.
Can't you get a night in MataMata before you need to leave?
Wonderful sightings in that area ..... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:30 pm 

Hi,
Yes am aware that we must check out at TR but what I want to know is how many days are available to leave the camp after the passport was stamped?

We aim to leave Grootkolk as early as possible, with other words the moment the gates open. Judged by the time schedule obtained from the park I am of the opinion that it would be quite easy to get from Grootkolk to Mata Mata in time to leave the park. The intension is to sleep over at Mariental, cause I want to be in Henties the next afternoon with enough time to catch something for supper!!

After reading all previous comments about Grootkolk we are counting the days to July.

Kind regards,
Kiba.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
what I want to know is how many days are available to leave the camp after the passport was stamped?

Hello kiba -- I'm not sure there is a limit .. You can spend as long as you like in the park, as far as I know.

The limit is when you are entering from Namibia (or SA) and then exiting into the other country. In that case you need to spend at least 2 nights in the park. It is to stop people from using the park as a through route.
Does that make it clearer ?

Quote:
I am of the opinion that it would be quite easy to get from Grootkolk to Mata Mata in time to leave the park.

Certainly not easy :whistle: Although the speed limit is 50 kph, you will battle to do that speed on some of the roads ... Besides you are then missing out on so many potential sightings too.

Why don't you rather book a night at the Tented Camp or Mata Mata and then do an early drive on the Auob side before leaving at lunch time ? You may then have to eat canned fish for supper for one night :lol: :thumbs_up:

Whatever you decide -- just enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kiba,

Where do you plan to overnight in Namibia after leaving Grootkolk? In the summer it is easily possible to reach Mata-Mata by 4 pm but in the winter you can only leave around 7:30 (2 hours later).

The problem with entering Namibia late afternoon if you still need to travel until dark is the danger of game crossing road at night time such as Gemsbok.

Rather stick to a last night in the park and head for the border post early in the morning with the sun behind you and not setting as in the case of leaving in the afternoon. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 pm 

Hi there,

Thanks for all the feed back. I really appreciate it. We would love to stay another night at Mata Mata, but unfortunately everything is fully booked. :( According to the camp's travel times it would take about 6 hours from Grootkolk to Mata Mata, and I take notice of all comments, but it seems that we don't have much of a choise.

We slept in front of the gate entering the Skeleton Coast Park two years ago and my shares that is normally quite high dropped to a all time low!!! Must prevent that happening again!! :)

Kindest regards,

Kiba.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there kiba and a very warm welcome to the Forum :thumbs_up:

I have sent you a PM - hope it helps :D

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Post subject: From Windhoek to Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:37 am 

Can any-one tell me how long it takes from Windhoek to Mata Mata (actually Kalahari Tented Camp).

Can any-one suggest a stop-over on the way?

Thanks

adhara

Post subject: Re: From Winhoek to Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi mites :D If you have any ideas for a stopover Please pm adhara about places which are not SANparks

Post subject: Re: From Windhoek to Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:58 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Yep! I can. ;)

It is around 500 kilometers, All of those are on dirtroads, so a maximum speed of 80. Which means that without stopping for breaks, which I do not advice, you will need 6 hours. A more realistic number would be 8 hours.
I have not done the trip, but in general the dirtroads are in a very good state in Namibia,

I have put my map of Namibia in a safe place :slap: so can't tell the road numbers to grab, or at what distances there are towns for lunch. Sorry....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:45 am 

Thanks for your reply.

Can any-one suggest the best route from Windhoek to Mata Mata?

Thanks

Adhara

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:40 pm 

I travelled from Windhoek to Mata Mata in 2010 November.
You can travell on B1 highway until about 6 kms before Mariental, than turn left on C20 to Stampriet; until here all roads are well tarred. From Stampriet (gravel road until Mata Mata, about 250 kms), the road C15 lead you to Mata Mata gate.
Total about 500 kms.
Hope this can help you.
Enjoy your trip, Kgalagadi is the best place in the world.
Bye.
Luca/Italy.

Last edited by Dotty on Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
removed link (advertising)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next