Skip to Content

Flood : January 2012

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
AjayB
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kruger is flooding

Unread postby AjayB » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Unbelievable shots ADW :big_eyes: Should have shots taken from same spots mid-winter to see just how many metres above normal levels that actually is. Crazy. Thx for posting :D

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Pleasure AjayB. These are photos of the Olifants river bridge.
The river was reaching its peak and I thought the bridge was going to collapse, but it held firm.

and after the storm this is what the bridge looked like.

The force of water and the debris caused severe damage to the railings and armco barrier.
Last edited by adw on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Unbelievable! Thanks for posting adw! :D
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

antonf

Unread postby antonf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Just returned from spending 3 awesome days at Satara. I haven't seen that area looking as lush in many years, and we saw more giraffe and buffalo than in many years.

The speed at which Kruger's management and staff is addressing the flood damage is to be commended.

What is not acceptable though is the total lack of warning and information on closed roads. I went to the trouble to go through the press release and mark the open roads, but why couldn't Kruger do that too? We met the same young German couple who were in a panic at not being able to travel their planned routes three times.

An A4 map with the closed roads clearly marked would have saved them a lot of anguish. It appeared that foreign visitors were the worst affected - many of them had no idea about the floods or the closures.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am

The path of the cyclone, which might hit Kruger

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Latest Media Update on 13 February 2012.

Kruger National Park visitors warned not to use R538 to Numbi Gate
South African National Parks (SANParks) is warning visitors not to use R538 road to Numbi gate because of the community strike which is taking place at the moment. Visitors are advised to use R40 to Hazyview and enter the Park either through Paul Kruger or Phabeni Gate.

Please contact Tourism Manager, Heather Cranko at 013 735 4388 if you have any queries.

Read here for the full media update.
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

twigga

Unread postby twigga » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 pm

It's good to see that most of the bridges made it after the 2012 floods, goes to show that technology played a big role in contstruction after it had to be repaired in 2000....
Those in glass houses should not throw stones...

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Keep track of cyclone Giovanna , the amount of attention it is receiving perhaps indicates that it needs to be watched closely .

http://www.weatherphotos.co.za/guestbook1.html

By paging back on the guestbook you can see previous images of its progress .

Rainfall prediction .

http://www.weatherphotos.co.za/rain-for ... weeks.html
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

WELSH_ASH

Unread postby WELSH_ASH » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:28 am

Weltenman wrote:Seems like Madagascar has acted the way it usually does with tropical cyclones and stopped the momentum of Giovanna. We must be thankful for the island Madagascar, can you imagine how many devastating cyclones we would have had if Madagascar was further North or South?

Interesting point! Maybe Kruger may not even exist at all then. What a sad though :(

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Re: Unavailable accommodations due to flooding

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Dear All,

Regarding the bookings affected by flood damage, the position adopted by SANParks is as follows:

1. If your booking is affected, we will contact you. Those that could not be contacted and wish to enquire are welcome to contact me or any of our call centres.
2. In cases where bookings need to be changed, you can choose alternative accommodation, depending on availability, obviously.
3. Where the alternative accommodation is more expensive, regrettably you will be required to pay the difference.
4. Where the alternative accommodation is cheaper, fortunately you will be refunded the difference.
5. In cases where no alternatives are available or to your satisfaction, the booking will be cancelled and the monies refunded or credited to your SANParks account for future use. Such cancellation, due to flood damage, would not incur any cancellation or amendment costs.

I hope and trust that this clarifies SANParks position in this regard and if there are any queries, you are welcome to contact me on joep.stevens@sanparks.org

Kind regards.

JOEP
General Manager: Tourism Operations

bondm

Unread postby bondm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi All, Thanks to all who posted pictures of the floods - they were awesome. Next time I'm in the loo at Tshokwane I'll be thinking of the water over my head. One thought - what happened to all the hippos and crocs in the rivers - did they move on to the land. bondm

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 am

I have a number of photos of the flood that I have not yet posted. I am not sure if this would be old 'news' to any of you or if you would like me to post some of them. The photos are of the Nwaswisontso and Olifants river that were in flood. Also I have a few of the Timbavati river in flood.
BondM the hippos and crocs would have moved to higher ground. They would not have stayed in a flooding river. There were a number of 'veld' pools and lakes also caused by the heavy rain that these creatures could have moved into. Within a couple of days as the rivers subsided the I witnessed the return of hippos and crocs.

Safari Gal

Unread postby Safari Gal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 am

Hi adw - would love to see all your pics of the flooding :shock:
Calling all no-kudu horn mites to join the no-kudu horn quiz.

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Okay, here goes. I will be posting the photos in chronological order.
I was staying at Satara which was fortunate in that the camp is not alongside a major river. The day before the floods it was raining steadily. Nothing dramatic but steady and continious. The afternoon of the 17/1/2012 I drove on the S90. The following photo shows the heavy rain clouds and I estimated the Timbavati area was the recipient of this heavy rain cloud. The time was 14h43.

The morning of the 18/1. It had rained throughout the night. As I left camp I noticed the S100 was closed and so was the S126. The Sweni river was flowing very strongly but as it was still dark I did not take a photo. On I drove and found the S126 closed as well, but I could tell from the S126 that the area was flooded as Kumana Dam had stretched right up to the corner near the S126. Kumana Dam was over a km long.
This photo shows the dam at the corner near the S125. The time was 05h44 and I was the second tourist vehicle to get to Kumana Dam.

This is Kumana Dam where one normally stops to view the dam and waterbirds.

Just past KD there were a number of tempory dams.

The Nwaswisontso river was in flood.

Another makeshift or tempory dam.

The S86, that short 4km route was also effectively closed by the flood waters.

The Nwaswisontso River had burst its banks in various places.

Mazithi dam was also flooded. The time was now 06h12

Just past Mazithi dam the H1-3 came to a sudden end as it became part of the Nwaswisontso river!!

Time to do a U-turn and head back to camp. More to follow...............

This is where

Return to “Kruger National Park”