Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Camping at Shingwedzi
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi,

Was in Singwedzi during the Dec holidays.

The ablution block is finished, looks really great. Showers are bigger, new layout, new tile colours etc.

During a 2,5 weeks camping stay, we have seen the big 5, although we only went for a drive once every 2 days.

A lot of big ellies, of course, lots of buffalo, general game was seen regurly, altough not as much as in the south of the park.

Interesting was that we only saw one fish eagle, and believe me, we know the area pretty good, and always have seen a lot of them. Do know why not this time?

Enjoy

Post subject: Camping advice for beginner
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:06 pm 

Hello All
I am going to be spending around five weeks in Kruger (yes five glorious weeks!!) from mid Sept to late Oct and will be camping for almost all the time.
I haven't camped before but thought it would be fun in Kruger.
I'm hoping some of you will give me some advice on facilities and provisions.
I've searched the forums and got a few tips but couldn't find answers to some of my questions.

I'll be birding and photographing all day, if the heat and activity lets me, and will be doing a sunset/night drive every night so the tent is really only for sleeping in and a quick meal.
I don't want to spend too much on camping gear as I'll have to leave it behind when I return to the UK.
Also I'll be staying 3-6 nights at each camp and I don't want too much to pack as I'll be on my own.
I'll try a braai for a few relaxing nights but mostly I'll just want something very quick.

So here are some questions, any help appreciated, sorry they are a bit dumb but I'm not very well domesticated ...

I will buy some provisions before I come into the camp and will probably nip out to pick n Pays a couple of times during the trip.
What do you guys recommend for provisions.
I'm not looking for fancy meals just quick and cheap.
I was thinking of getting some canned meals, also pasta and either dried or bottled sauces.
Would leaving cans/bottled sauces in the tent/car be okay for a week or two or do you think the heat would get to them?
Are there any other storage places in the camp for food or is it a choice of the tent or the car.

Do all the (main) campsites have a communal fridge.
How well does this work, do you just put your food in and hope nobody else takes it by mistake or do you have to label it.
Is fridge space a problem.
I will buy a cooler box, do these keep cool enough on their own or do you use them with an ice block (we don't really need cooler boxes in Scotland!).
Can you freeze ice blocks in the campsite.
Do the camp shops open before the gates open, to get milk etc.
I wouldn't want to be wasting time shopping when the gates are open!

Do I need to bring washing powder for the laundry or is it provided.

Not having a fully charged camera would be a major disaster so how do people charge their batteries. Hopefully I should be able to charge from the car but could you explain the camp power points to me.
Do they take standard South African plugs or is it some kind of special socket for caravans.
If standard plugs is there one per site or are they shared and would I need a long extension cable.

How is the heat at night in tents, I'm used to Scottish summers!
Also will I need to cover myself in insect repellent before I go to sleep.

Are the monkeys a problem, I won't be leaving food in my tent (except maybe cans) so what are the chances of coming back and finding a hole ripped in the tent, I think it will be quite a light weight tent.
Any tips other than not keeping food in the tent.
Any tips on making repairs.

Would I be better to rent utensils at the camp or buy a few.
I think all I need is a couple of bowls a set of cutlery and a small pot.

I was thinking of getting a OZ Trail ECO Switch Back 2 tent as it's cheap and looks very easy to pitch.
Does anyone have any experience of this one, do you think this would be tough enough for a month in Kruger.
I also noticed a special on Checkers store website for a Bush Baby tent and sleeping bag which was very cheap, are these any good.

The plan at the moment is to visit Pretoriuskop, Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Satara, Letaba, Balule, Shingwedzi, Punda Maria and Berg en dal.

Thanks all.

Post subject: Re: Camping advice for beginner
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Kossshka..
No question is a stupid question,
Have you been to SA before ??
I wont be able to answer all your questions and there are many mites who are better qualified to answer some questions but will try to answer a few.
Proviso's can be bought at Malelane, Komatipoort and Phalaborwa ..
But all the main camps have shops with a fairly good supply of provisions ..
Can get meat, bread/rolls plus vegetables a bit more pricy but you wont starve.( no Haggis though I'm afraid !! :D )
Stock up with a powdered potato called Idahoan .
It comes in several flavours, is inexpensive and can be bought at Spar and checkers ... all you do is add a wee bit of butter, hot water and milk stir and you have a delicious meal .
No the camp sites do not have communal fridges except Tsendze, Balule , Maroela and Malelane
But Ice is readily available so a small cooler bag is a must.
storage is tent or car I'm afraid .
Camp shops only open after the gates have opened but you can a;ways buy milk if you stop at any of the camps .
You bring your own washing powder for the laundry .
Most camp sites have power plugs so you can easily charge batteries that way and of course use the car . Some of the camps use normal electric sockets and others you have to have those blue ones . usually can be purchased at the shops
It can be hot at night but still the temp does drop in the evenings.
Just cover yourself was mozzie repellent
Monkeys and baboons can be a big problem Just never leave any food in the tent take it with you ... even cans !!
I think you can hire cutlery but the shops have enough stuff and can be inexpensive.
use paper plates

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi koshka,
we are combining a bit of semi-camping (basic hut and safari tents) with bungalow accommodation this August/September.
What I have decided to do for this trip and future trips is equip a 'Kruger camping bag'.
I'm getting a duffel on wheels type of bag.
Apart from a tent (that will be next time) this is what is going in:

*basic plastic plates, bowls, travel mugs and tumblers.
* cutlery set and basic utensils ie wooden spoon, tongs, knife, peeler, flat grater, egg slide. Also a SMALL plastic cutting board is very useful.
*Trangia cook stove with associated pots.
*Tea towel x2 for drying dishes
* head torch and hand torch or battery lantern for tent.
* travel clothes line
*universal laundry plug (amazing how often this comes in handy)
*light drawstring laundry bag
*multi-tool

This is the bare essentials (although I probably will think of other stuff as we go along)

Definitely buy a cheap foam cooler box when you arrive for filling with ice and keeping your stuff cold.

We always use car chargers for our cameras and phone but bring the right adaptors with you for electrical sockets in camp.
If you pay for powered camp sites you will have your own socket.

Monkeys and baboons are more of a problem in some camps and no problem in others.
That said ALWAYS keep your tent zipped!
Haven't heard of tents being damaged.
Don't forget a self-inflating sleeping mat - the ground is HARD and for that long camping I would spend good money on a decent one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Because of the time frame I would look at renting a trailer, keep all your foodstuff etc locked away when you are out. Also means you just need to remove essentials from trailer, (tent, bed and chair) rest of stuff can remain in the trailer and you live out of there which makes it easy to pack when you move often.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Koshka :D a very warm welcome.

Heat will possibly be your biggest challenge. I would not keep anything that has been opened. It is possible to stock up on tinned meals for easy use, just don't save any. The John West tuna meals are easy to tuck into if you want to eat "on the road". I also keep nuts and biltong available. Not "wet" biltong though, as that does not last as long.

Some camps have started stocking up more with fresh produce. I have found that I can buy fruit for the day. This is another "no/no" to keep.

I tend to make use of the larger picnic areas for the occasional quick snack, or meal. Each has their speciality. Remember to take lots of water. Hydration with Black Lable does not work. Believe me, I've tried it :wink:

Unfortunately, the only places with communal fridges are Tzenze and Balule.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 am 

What I think you should do is the following:

It looks like you will be staying in Pretoriuskop first so:

Get to Nelspruit and stop at the Makro, this is a great store you can buy all your food and camping equipment there.
They have a range of different tents at good prices.
While you are at the store, why not buy a few cases of cold drinks and get all your other supplies!

As my fellow forumites have mentioned, there are not really communal fridge, so while at Makro get a decent sized cooler box and also get your pots pans and any other cutlery you will need.
you will get them at a better price than you can buy the in the park.
also buy your chips and sweets.

What we normally do when we go camping is:
We get a cooler box for drinks and then fill it with ice, this will last you the whole day and sometimes even the next day.
every day that your ice is melted just throw out the water and replace it with ice again.
I would suggest buying meat at the camp shops, it is a bit pricy but it really wont kill your budget! :wink: and it is a bit of a hassle if you don't have a freezer handy to store your things in.

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
Koshka! I did exactly the same thing in Oct 2010 ...
Camped by myself in Kruger (but only for 3 weeks, not 5!).
It was the 1st time I'd ever been camping (apart from 2 organised tours).
I didn't want to splash out too much in case I didn't like it.
I had a tiny 2-person tent (R200!) into which my single inflatable mattress just fitted ...
And I realised after inflating it the first time that I had to do this inside the tent as the inflated mattress didn't fit thru the tiny door!
Like ur plans, I was out every day, all day, and my tent was only used to sleep in - it was fine. (check out my trip report from that adventure viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=48237).

The weather should b nice ... that said, u can get extremes ... 40 degrees one day and 16 degrees the next so bring a sweatshirt & a light rain jacket/windbreaker for the cool days!
I also found that long cotton trousers for the evening were great as they prevented mossies (but do buy anti-mossie stuff as well and apply it liberally at dawn and dusk).

A coolbox is a must ... As Hugh told u, fridges/freezers are NOT available at most of the campsites but u can buy ice in the shops to put in ur cooler box & keep stuff cold.
Meat can be bought in the shops but I have seen too many people buy meat then find it is completely "off". If u want to do meat braais, do those when ur are in P'kop, Croc Bridge, Lower Sabie, Skukuza where u can pop into town quickly (and not waste too much park time!) & buy meat ...
If u bought frozen stuff it would prob last a couple of days in a cooler box with ice but I wouldn't trust it much longer ...

A hammer & long nails was one of the best bits of advice I got when posting a similar question seeking advice before I went camping ... The ground will b very hard and a mallet & tent pegs may not work.

Definitely take a sleeping bag, it does cool down at night; a camp chair is also a must but u can get cheap ones here for about R100 that will work!
To recharge batteries, etc, u can either use SA electrical sockets in the kitchens & bathrooms or get a caravan plug for use in the campsite.
Will u b camping at a powered site?
U will need an extension cord as well if u r as the electrical boxes can sometimes b a distance from where u get ur tent set up.
A headtorch/flashlight is def recommended.
I would buy a plastic plate, bowl, knife, fork & spoon, a sharp knife & a chopping board, a bottle opener/corkscrew (very important!) a can opener; washing up liquid, a sponge, a couple of T-towels, clothes pegs, string (very useful for a number of things, including a washing line) canned meat, fish, eggs ... a stable Kruger food, a little saucepan and maybe a little frying pan too.

Last edited by WendyA on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 am 

WendyA wrote:
A hammer & long nails was one of the best bits of advice I got when posting a similar question seeking advice before I went camping ... The ground will b very hard and a mallet & tent pegs may not work.

Just remember a washer on the nail to stop the guy rope from slipping off the top of the nail when the wind picks up.
Enjoy it. Lucky So n so.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 am 

Ask the camp shops if you can store your meat in their big walk-in freezers. Last year we camped at Croc bridge and the camp staff had no problem with using their fridge facilities.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I did a camping trip with a caravan, and reported on the different camp sites and facilities - the report is here http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28185

Enjoy your trip!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Not to far to drive bet yet to close to fly. Roodepoort
I did this kind of trip a few years ago all by myself what an experience.
As for you that are from a cold place and not use to our summer heat especially in Sep-Oct start of our summer here .

By looking at the reservations there seem to be quite a bit of CTT2 and HT2 available in most camps that you are visiting cost a little bit extra but no need to pitch tents and buy all kind of expensive camping equipment that will be left behind after all.
The safari tents and huts have a Fridge and Fan and some even air conditioner.
As for utensils there is some amazing Picnic bags at Pick and pay and other camping shop that would be all in one for you.
So that also means that you can by supply's outside the park and have a fridge to keep your groceries (beers) cold with out the worry of throwing away food that wont last in the heat.
All Safari tent and huts have there own power supply so when charging your stuff there wont be any worries.

Also Remember Sep/Oct months is the rainy season for the Kruger even though they experienced it a bit late last year you never know.

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=62809

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:10 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Koshka
A good outdoor shop is in the new Highveld Mall Witbank
Cape Union Mart
Right next to the N4 on route from the Airport to Kruger
Dont buy to much food
You can find enough tinned food, fresh veggies, almost always bread and meat in all Kruger shops
Every camping spot has a barbeque
best would be to buy a box which can be sealed with a good lid to keep the animals out

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome Koshka!

If you get down to here;

The trailer is a great idea.
You can buy prepared food - pies, burgers, etc an most camps and picnic sites like Nkuhlu and Afsaal for a quick meal, otherwise timnned food is the way to go. As a single traveller, that mighht not be convenient, because the cans are quite big.
Crispbread (Pro Vita) and jam etc might also be an option.
Breakfast cereal and long life milk. Our LLM lasted 2 days in the Kgalagadi heat!
As for laundry, I always take my t-shirt & jocks into the shower with me and wash them and hang them up in the car or somewhere, it stretches the time between proper washes.
You would need a 'blue' caravan plug converter and about 5 metre cord.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 pm 

Also use the shower trick :thumbs_up:
But also carry a small clothes carousel dryer
Fits in any suitcase
http://www.solutions-stores.ca/ecommerc ... detail.jpg
And costs nearly nothing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next