Flood : January 2012

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Re: Kruger is flooding

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Dear All,

It is expected that Balule Camp site will probably be ready before bungalow side. My guestimate at this stage is that hut side could be ready by mid- March. Just a note on Lake Panic, the hide is closed, the dam on which it is located is fine, it is the dam at the golf course in the staff village that breached and is empty.

Kind regards.

JOEP
General Manager: Tourism Operations

DinkyBird

Re: Lake Panic flood damage??

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Sawubona
Dalene

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Dear Theuns,

Yes, SANParks has insurance on various components, amongst others most of it's building and infrastructure. Roads and bridges in general are not covered and unfortunately this is where a major component of expenses lies.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:17 am

Latest Media Update on the Kruger Floods.

The Roads Section is currently very busy with grading activities in the Marula Region around the Biyamiti area and guests are warned to exercise caution when using these roads until all work has been completed.
For Balule and Tamboti, where damage was extensive and reconstruction is expected to take several months, guests with bookings will be contacted in order to change bookings.
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Kruger Flood update as at 15:00 on 26 January 2012 media release can be found here.

Guests to Satara are requested to use electricity very sparingly as Eskom supply line at Balule was washed away and camp is operating on standby generator. There are no facilities at all at Tshokwane and guests may not alight from vehicles there.
Lesego Nko
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Kruger Flood update as at 15:00 on 27 January 2012

Camps Open

Bateleur, Berg- en- Dal, Biyamiti, Crocodile Bridge, Letaba (Day visitors site and swimming pool closed), Lower Sabie (except 6 tents), Malelane, Maroela, Mopani, Olifants, Orpen, Pretoriuskop, Punda Maria, Roodewal, Satara (Guests to Satara also requested to use electricity very sparingly as Eskom supply line at Balule was washed away and camp is operating on standby generator), Shimuwini, Shingwedzi, Shipindane Hide, Sirheni, Skukuza & Tsendze.

Camps Closed

Balule, Boulders, Talamati, Tamboti & Sable Dam Hide.

Picnic Spots
Tshokwane: Serious flood damage and closed completely. Toilet facilities also closed.
Nkuhlu: Open and functional – damage to lower levels.
Letaba Day Visitors Site: Closed
Makhadzi: Closed
Nhlanguleni: Closed
Muzandzeni: Closed
Mlondozi: Open
Timbavati: Closed
Lake Panic Birdhide: Closed
Nwanetsi: Open
Afsaal: Open

Access roads inside the park:
All Tarred roads open except the following:
- T-junction to Olifants at H8 to high level bridge has a section of the road washed away and there is a short gravel detour.
- Olifants River causeway at Balule is still closed.
- Tshokwane to Skukuza is open via H12. Sand River Causeway on H1-2 still closed.
- Tshokwane to Lower Sabie has reopened (causeway over Sabie River below camp has been cleared)
- Skukuza to Malelane is fine (via detour to S114) (Causeway at Delaporte Waterhole washed away).
- Pretoriuskop to Skukuza – is closed (causeways at Transport Dam and Delaporte Waterhole washed away) alternative route via S3 to Phabeni/ Skukuza road.

- All gravel roads south of Letaba River closed except following which have been reopened:

H2-2 (from H3 to S114. Remainder of H2-2 from S114 to H1-1 still closed),S3, S8, S10, S14, S23, S25 (from S114 to T-junction at S139 and from H4-2 to S26 turnoff. Biyamiti Bridge on S26 still closed), S26, S27, S28, S29, S36 (from H7 to S125 turnoff), S37, S39, S40, S41, S51, S62, S82, S89, S90 (causeway over Olifants still closed), S91, S92, S95, S96, S100, S106, S108, S114(from H1-1 to Biyamiti Causeway & from H3 to Biyamiti Causeway . Biyamiti Causeway on S114 still closed), S122, S125, S126, S127, S128, S129, S130, S131, S132, S133, S137, S139, S145

Gates Open:
Crocodile Bridge
Malelane
Orpen
Numbi (to Pretoriuskop and S3 only)
Phabeni
Phalaborwa
Punda Maria
Pafuri
Kruger
Giriyondo Border Post

Gates Closed:

None

Important Notes:

1. Guests are kindly urged to use water sparingly as camps/ gates and picnic spots in many areas operate on emergency pumps and boreholes with limited capacity. Guests to Satara are also requested to use electricity sparingly as Eskom supply line at Balule was washed away and camp is operating on standby generator.

2. For Balule and Tamboti, where damage was extensive and reconstruction is expected to take several months, guests with bookings will be contacted in order to change bookings.

3. There are no facilities at all at Tshokwane and guests may not alight from vehicles there. Arrangements are being made for temporary toilet facilities to be erected.

Emergency Numbers:
Media Enquiries: Reynold Thakhuli 073 373 4999 / Gabrielle Venter 082 696 4724
Tourist Enquiries: Glenn Phillips 083 630 4584 / Joep Stevens 082 802 8093
Lesego Nko
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org

Leigh Eggers

Unread postby Leigh Eggers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 am

Hi all, for those interested in seeing the effects of the recent floods in Kruger, my next blog post is up - http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... HmJmUFdAkg
Tomorrow I will be blogging about the area around Olifants and Letaba

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 am

Latest Media Update on KNP Floods: There are serious flood damages at Tshokwane and it has been closed completely. Toilet facilities are closed. Guests may not stop there or alight from vehicles as there are no facilities accessible at all. Arrangements are being made for temporary toilet facilities to be erected.

Read here for the full update.
Lesego Nko
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org

Leigh Eggers

Unread postby Leigh Eggers » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 am

Hi all - my latest blog post is up on my website - http://aboutthebush.com - looking at the road from Satara to Letaba.

Apparently Tamboti will take at least 4 to 6 months to repair and rebuild as tents 1 to 20 were either destroyed completely or damaged extensively. The luxury tents were all fine. SANParks say they will be in touch with those who have bookings.

I wouldn't change a booking at Satara - all roads around the camp are open and it is looking lovely. It is definitely worth going to this camp - one of the best areas in my opinion.

Mlondozi Dam is full and looking great! I will be posting some pictures on my website in the next few days so keep a lookout there.

My next blog post tomorrow will be on the road from Satara to Orpen

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Lesego wrote:Latest Media Update on KNP Floods: There are serious flood damages at Tshokwane and it has been closed completely. Toilet facilities are closed. Guests may not stop there or alight from vehicles as there are no facilities accessible at all. Arrangements are being made for temporary toilet facilities to be erected.

Read here for the full update.

Thanks for all the regular updates, Lesego. Much appreciated :thumbs_up:
As I understand from the above, Tshokwane is closed for now for an uncertain period. I'm a bit confused by the above media release and have the following question:

Is it closed permanently forever meaning no more a picnic site in future to have brunch, buy refreshments ect. or will it be restored in the near future as it was to enjoy.

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Dear All,

Thanks for all the queries from everybody. The scheduling of the repair projects still has to be finalised, so we are unable to provide a date for reopening. Just a few comments:

1. Tshokwane is extensively damaged and will be repaired but it will be months. I will be recommending a temporary service there in the meantime due to its location. It will be several months before we have Tshokwane restored.
2. At Tamboti the new luxury tents are not seriously damaged and as soon as services, roads and fence can be restored those could be reopened. The 30 budget tents will be replaced or repaired over coming months and my estimate would also be several months.
3. Balule will probably be opened in phases, with camping to be opened first as it has relatively little reconstruction as the ablution is further from the river than the one at the huts.

I hope this will assist until we have more information with dates, once planning has been finalised.

With kind regards.

JOEP

Boorgatspook

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Thank you Joep for the feedback! Much appreciated even at this hour of day :clap: :clap:

avon vosloo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby avon vosloo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanx for the update Joep. A few comments from myself having been there and seeing the damage at all the mentioned places, including the Timbavati picnic spot. I can confirm that there are lots of damage in the area. Even Satara were running on generator power for days after the flooding subsided. It must be a logistical nightmare to sort out all the planning. Well done to Sanparks for repairing the damage to certain dirt roads as quickly as humanly possible, thus allowing us to travel on some of our favorite roads. I will also mention in my TR a few names of staff members that provided nothing less than excellent service to us at Orpen.

I have started our TR over here:-
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=59188
where I will post more info in the next couple of days.

By the way Joep, get cracking on putting up a few porta-toilets.......... nah, I'm not going to fess up on a public forum :wink:

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Dear Avon,

Many thanks and great pics and account! Would you (and any others) be prepared to share your flood pics with me, as I am putting together a digital archive of this flood as I did with 2000, for future generations. I file them under the name of the contributor and any use will go with recognition of the photographer/ contributor.

Kind regards.

JOEP

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby flying cheetah » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Thank you Joep for the update :thumbs_up: Great to know that Tshokwane will be repaired, even if it takes months. Hopefully the resident monkeys didn't forget how to find their natural food if there are no tourists to feed them :roll:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

Return to “Kruger National Park”