Skip to Content

Flood : January 2012

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Lake Panic - Lives up to its name

Unread postby Imberbe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

This is the bottom dam at the golf course, not the one at the hide.

I wonder whether the top one survived?
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

alf

Re: Kruger is flooding

Unread postby alf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:10 pm

The bridge outside skukuza towards kruger gate is damaged but it is open. The bridge just before tshokwane is also damaged but open. The low water bridge crossing the sabie river is closed also the bridge going over the olifants to balule. The t-junction of the H8 to olifants is damaged and closed. Detour on the gravel road open past balule.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Panic, indeed :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

The power of water cannot be described.

I once sat in the Free State at a peaceful scene. I knew that we were waiting for "floods".

I watched an empty dam become a death scene for many little creatures in minutes. I could not believe the speed, but also the calm.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Jan van Wyk

Unread postby Jan van Wyk » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:55 pm

We were yesterday at LP to see for ourselves what happen with the flood. The water was above the seats but except for all the flood dirt everything is still fine. The pathway from the gate was also washed away. It will take some time to clean all the mud but then we will spend again a lot of hours at our favourite bird hide :) :)

bert

Unread postby bert » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Thank you for the update Jan
My favourite place has been spared
No we only have to wait for the hippo's

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby RosemaryH » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:46 pm

:thumbs_up: Thanks for the detailed update and pic's vlakvarksegat :clap:
Such devastation :cry: :cry:

Gezantfombi dam is filled to the brim and overflowing at the weir.

Must be awesome to see. One of my favourite spots!
Rose

Golden Rule of any SANPark - DO NOT feed or put food out for ANY species whatsoever!

vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby vlakvarksegat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:06 am

big5spotter wrote:Thanks for the update and the pics was hoping someone had pics of KNP at present. How would you describe the overall damage? Bad or all looking ok?

Hi bg5spotter, I can only comment on what I,ve seen. I didn't go into the camps but the damage to the roads that I traveled is minimal except for the surface damage around the high water bridge on the H12. It could have been much worse. I am just glad that no deaths or missing people were reported...structures can always be repaired or replaced...but not loved ones.

[quote="RosemaryH"]:thumbs_up: Thanks for the detailed update and pic's vlakvarksegat :clap:
Such devastation :cry: :cry:

RosemaryH, it is good to see masses of water instead off flapping dying catfish. :clap:
You are younger today than you ever will be again. Make use of it for the sake of tomorrow.
-Anonymous

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks for the nice comprehensive report VVG, :thumbs_up:
very glad to see CB didn't take too much damage, I had fears the bridge might have been in Mozambique.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Panthera-Leo

Unread postby Panthera-Leo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:56 am

DRIESV wrote:Does anybody have any feedback on the status of Balule & Tamboti??
I have a booking in both from 12 March and I'm very anxious to know if they'll be open by then. :pray: :pray:

I had a booking for Tambotie this comming Friday eve (on my way to Timbavati), but received a call from Sanparks Reservations and they moved me to Skukuza for Friday eve. They said that Tamboti will be operational from next Sunday, 30 January again. From what I understand (elsewhere in the forums), a portion of the fence and about 10 tents were washed away at Tamboti.

Thus, my conclusion is that you will be ok :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: for 12 March at Tamboti :D

Enjoy your trip :D

antonf

Unread postby antonf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 pm

I see all gravel roads south of Letaba are still closed... I have a reservation in Satara for the weekend, but it seems a bit of a waste to travel all the way there if travelling is restricted to the tar roads. Any idea on when gravel roads will be open again?

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi 'mites.

Hope that you are doing well and that you had a lovely weekend. We have more updates for you in regard to the Kruger Floods update.

Guests are urged to use water sparingly as camps/ gates and picnic spots in many area operate on emergency pumps and boreholes with limited capacity. Guests are Satara also requested to use electricity sparingly as Eskom supply line at Balule was washed away and camp is operating on standby generator.

Please Read here for the full media release. :)
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby RosemaryH » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:44 pm

:gflower: Lesego

DRIESV, Balule does not sound good at all and as you would have seen from the update it is closed.

I am very happy to share that Titus, the dedicated attendant at Balule is safe, fine and well and while devasted about his camp is very happy to be alive :) He sends his regards to all!! :thumbs_up:
Rose

Golden Rule of any SANPark - DO NOT feed or put food out for ANY species whatsoever!

twigga

Unread postby twigga » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Tx Lesego.

Still in shock about the flood, feel so unreal. I see next to Tshokwane it states "closed completely".What does this mean, they will repair or not?
Those in glass houses should not throw stones...

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I have just travelled back to Malelane camp. The road to Croc Bridge was fine (apart from ellie jams) and the Croc Bridge gate bridge has survived very well! A few of the little concrete barriers are damaged, but that is all.

They were busy clearing the bridge at Lower Sabie, and it should be operational by tomorrow I think.

Forgot to add that many of the gravel roads in the area are now open (S28 for example).
Last edited by ecojunkie on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

AjayB
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby AjayB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks again for updates Lesego. Bit of a longer road out for a couple of the areas.....

I see unconfirmed reports about Tamboti ( and photos of Tshokwane picnic site showing huge damage) have been backed up by the update. "Tamboti Camp closed - extensively damaged" Not sure which units bore the brunt of it but hopefully the whole camp isnt a complete disaster because quite a few units would have been within range of those crazy levels. It was shocking to see photos from slightly higher upriver as to just how much water was in that normally relatively narrow riverbed.

Thoughts are still with all those toughing it out and getting the place(not just there but all affected spots) back to as normal as possible----

Return to “Kruger National Park”