Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 4
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Time to fly south again
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 3, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (4)

The next two pics were still taken in the Colchester Section of the park.

Vervet Monkey

After the unsuccessful search for lions we returned to the Addo Main Camp Section. Again we had a wonderful sighting of black-backed jackals.

Black-backed Jackals

Whilst we were watching the jackals, two kudu cows were curiously watching us.

Meanwhile it was deeply overcast. The young black-shouldered kite has fluffed up to protect itself from the cold wind.

Black-shouldered Kite

We decided to stop once more at Hapoor Dam. The Egyptian Geese were in an uproar. There were huge guests at the water and not all were behaving well! No, one of them really frightened the goslings!

But finally the elephants left and the feathered ones were happy again.

- If I could fly (KNP March/April 2010)
- Time to fly south again (MZNP, Addo, and more Nov/Dec. 2011)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 3, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (5)

Now it was time to return to the camp. We were quite hungry. SO prepared a light lunch. His spicy curries are simply delicious and when we are on holiday he loves to cook.

We were lucky. After the meal we saw the sun again and decided to make a little walk through the camp.

Karoo Robin or Scrub Robin

The old leopard tortoise was enjoying the green grass around the swimming pool.

This beautiful elephant bull was drinking at the waterhole of the camp and posing for photos. It was the same one we had already seen today and the day before. A lot of people were watching, children crying, cameras clicking, but nothing could disturb this big tusker.

When we returned to our chalet, a vervet monkey with baby was sitting on the roof of the neighbour’s chalet. It was the first vervet monkey we saw in the camp till now. We closed all windows carefully before we left for a short afternoon drive.

Vervet Monkey

Plains Zebra

Magnificent Kudu bulls

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 3, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (6)

It’s quite usual. In the afternoon you see jogging spurfowls on the road and often they decide just to cross the road when a car is coming. Same did these red-necked spurfowls. However, SO was driving very slowly, so nothing happened.

Red-necked Spurfowl

Black-shouldered Kite (the eyes are magic)

Bokmakierie (another bird I had not seen before)

Fiscal Shrike

No drive without elephants, here a small elephant family.

Suddenly something quite unusual on the road before us, appr. 35 – 40 cm long. From a distance we thought it was a snake, when we came nearer we thought it was a worm. However, when we were close enough and after having consulted a reptile book we opted for blind-snake.

Blind-Snake

Meanwhile the light was great for photos.

Plains Zebra and Cattle Egret

Back in the camp, I was sitting comfortably in a chair on the veranda, SO was in the kitchen preparing dinner. The door was open so that we could chat with each other. A peaceful scene. Suddenly hell broke loose. :shock: A vervet monkey jumped on the veranda, attacked me screeching and snarling. I sprang on my feet, grabbed a book from the table to fight off the monkey, sidestepped to avoid the teeth. Now the entrance to the chalet was free. A second vervet monkey, running past me, tried to enter the chalet. Meanwhile SO was there, armed with a frying pan. This was enough to put the vervets to flight! I think the reason for the aggressive behaviour of the monkeys was that they wanted to steal food from the kitchen. Really admirable was the close cooperation of these vervets to reach their goal!

It had been a wonderful day. When we were sitting on the veranda and sipping our sundowners we were very satisfied (even without a lion sighting).

Last edited by Crested Barbet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 4, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (1)

A sunny Sunday morning. The first sightings in the Game Viewing Area were birds.

Black-headed Heron

Greater striped Swallows

Fiscal Shrike

Steppe Buzzard

Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk (juv.)

Kudus, red hartebeest, zebras and warthogs followed. However, in the first two hours of our drive we did not see elephants at all. Quite unusual!

Kudu bull

Plains Zebra

But there was fresh dung on the road. The dung beetles were already doing their duty.

Dung Beetles

And in the bushes to our left was the first elephant of the day, most probably the supplier of the dung.

We were not far from Hapoor now.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 4, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (2)

Hapoor Dam: All mother herds of Addo seemed to have a conference here. Family groups were coming and going, greeting each other, bathing, drinking, the young ones were playing. A casual acquaintance of us was visiting the herds. The huge elephant bull we had already seen the last days, was showing keen interest in one of the ladies.

Last edited by Crested Barbet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 4, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (3)

We watched the elephants quite a long time. However, when more and more cars arrived (it was Sunday and a lot of day visitors were in the park) we left Hapoor Dam and drove back to the camp.

Midday break in the camp

Sombre Bulbul

It was one of the few hot days of our holidays. As we didn’t expect much animal activity on a day like this, we started our afternoon drive later than usual. Here a few pics:

Leopard Tortoise

Yellow Mongoose

Hadeda Ibis

Crowned Plover

In the evening a cold wind was blowing, sitting outside became quite uncomfortable. Immediately after dinner, we took our wine glasses and went inside.

Last edited by Crested Barbet on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 5, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (1)

Our last day in Addo, a warm and pleasant day, a day of wonderful sightings.

Cape Weaver (fem.)

Kudus, starting the day with grooming

If you can call a male ostrich beautiful then this one.

One of my favourite birds is the African Hoopoe. I like the colour and the beautiful crest. Usually it is not easy to get pics of these agile birds, this one was an exception.

Grassveld Pipit or African Pipit

Red-Capped Lark

Crowned Plover

We arrived at Carols Rest: No animal at the waterhole. Slowly we drove on, scanning carefully the surrounding. And there, far away, on the wooded slopes we saw …. a herd of eland! We counted 69, it might be even more. Most of them were still resting.

We took a few pics and drove back to Carols Rest. We were quite sure, the antelopes would go to the water.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 5, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (2)

We waited nearly 30 minutes. Then, slowly the elands came. However, they were very cautious. Going forth and back, stopping …. And waiting for the zebras to go first to the water. Only a few elands came all the way to the trough, the others were stopping 50 metres before at a trickle. We watched these beautiful antelopes appr. 20 minutes, then they left again for the wooded slopes.

Many years it had been my dream to see such a large herd of eland. More than 10 years ago I missed a sighting like this when I stayed in a park in KwaZulu Natal. When I woke up early in the morning I saw the droppings of a large herd of elands that had crossed the camp 30 minutes before. But the elands had already climbed the slopes and were nearly out of sight. Now Addo had made my dream come true. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 5, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (3)

After the wonderful eland sighting we were convinced there would not come much more this day. But Addo still had to show us beautiful things.

A view of the green Addo

Black-headed Heron

Red Hartebeest

At Hapoor Dam there was again an elephant conference. From all directions the delegates were coming. This time it was a more colourful event; elephants are not only “grey in grey” – there are also white ones (no, there was no red wine on the drive)! I believe in white elephants now! All the appr. 120 elephants were behaving well, there was no shoving, no disputes.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 5, 2011 Addo Elephant National Park (4)

On our way back to the camp we spotted two old buffs. The poor guys were pestered by insects. They tried to get rid of these pests. However, mud packs were not enough. With their tongues the buffs tried to clean the nostrils from the worrying insects.

The warthog seemed to have no problems with insects.

In the afternoon we started for our last drive in Addo. We spotted the common antelopes, colourful birds and at the end of our drive cute red hartebeest calves.

Another beautiful Kudu bull

African Hoopoe

Bokmakierie

Red Hartebeest calves

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 6, 2011 Tsitsikamma/Garden Route National Park

Today we left the beautiful Addo Elephant Park. On our way to the next destination we stopped in Jeffrey’s Bay. We had lunch at a fantastic restaurant (the seafood curry was one of the best I ever had) and bought supplies for the next few days. Then we picked up our laundry, it had been done perfectly during our short stay, and drove on to Tsitsikamma/Garden Route National Park.

We had booked an oceanette in the Storms River Mouth Camp where we checked in at 15:00 h. It was the first time we had an oceanette there (before we always stayed in a cottage) and it was a good decision. The oceanettes are spacious, very well maintained and equipped.

Oceanette

Our No. K had a huge balcony providing stunning sea views. After unloading our luggage, the first we did was sitting down, drinking coffee and enjoying the view.

The view from the oceanette

After the short break I was eager to explore the surroundings and persuaded SO for a walk. The scenery is breathtaking; for me Tsitsikamma was pure soul food. Blue sky, the sun was shining – what a beautiful day.

And here two “camp animals”:

Rock Dassie

Bushbuck

We returned to our oceanette just in time for the sundowner. I can’t think of a better place to enjoy a good red wine than the balcony of an oceanette in Tsitsikamma.

Last edited by Crested Barbet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 7, 2011 Tsitsikamma/Garden Route National Park

The sky was clouded. We walked through the lush rainforest to the suspension bridge. It took a lot of time because there were so many things to admire, so many photo subjects. Every few meters I stopped to have a closer look to plants, insects or to enjoy the view. And I got a short glimpse of the shy Knysna louries. Unfortunately the vegetation was too dense for taking photos.

Cape Gull

Sunbathing Rock Dassie

White-breasted Cormorant

African Black Oystercatcher

Lesser Black-backed Gull

I must admit that I was so absorbed in enjoying the beautiful scenery that I lost SO during the walk. However, I know him very well and so it was no problem to find him again. Where? In the restaurant! It was lunchtime. The restaurant in Tsitsikamma is even better than the Addo restaurant, the menu is even more extensive, the service is attentive and the seafood lekker.

The afternoon we spent relaxing on the balcony of our oceanette, watching the seabirds and taking a leisurely stroll through the camp.

Greater Double-collared Sunbird

Last edited by Crested Barbet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 8, 2011 Tsitsikamma/Garden Route National Park

Our morning visitor: Lesser Black-backed Gull (or Kelp Gull ?)

We had planned to hike to the waterfall today. However, the weather was so miserable (cold and rainy) that we decided to postpone it.

Instead we drove to Plettenberg Bay. When rain is pouring down it is always a good idea to visit a shopping mall. I desperately needed a hairstylist. There were a few possibilities in the mall so that it was really difficult to choose where to go. But I made a good choice. Whilst I got a nice haircut I learnt interesting facts about the area, e. g. the meaning of the registration plate CAW (cold and wet)! :wink:
We bought a good bottle of wine and a grilled chicken and returned to Tsitsikamma. Back there, we enjoyed our lunch and waited for the rain to stop.

In the late afternoon the sun came through and we took the chance for a walk.

Swift Terns

White-breasted Cormorant

Dassies like it comfortable.

Greater Double-collared Sunbird

Southern Grey-headed Sparrow

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 9, 2011 Tsitsikamma/Garden Route National Park

It was windy, but not rainy - good weather conditions for a hike to the waterfall.

White-breasted Cormorant

A better marking of the trail would be recommendable. On the way back we lost our way what resulted in a real fitness test till we noticed that we were wrong. But in the meantime we had climbed many steps and had to return all the way.

When we reached the oceanette I was longing for a cold shower and SO for a cold Black Label. We were quite hungry now. So we walked to the restaurant for a late lunch (prawns curry). It’s fantastic that the Tsitsikamma restaurant is open all the day.

Meanwhile the wind was very strong and cold. The right weather for a good book.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dec. 10, 2011 Tsitsikamma/Garden Route National Park

Not the best timing! When I woke up in the morning, what did I see? Blue sky, sunshine! And we had to leave today! But Tsitsikamma had a nice farewell gift for us.

Dolphins

Dec. 10 - 11, 2011 Wilderness/Garden Route National Park

We left Tsitsikamma and drove to Wilderness, where we had a booking for a room in a Guest House for the next two nights. We had planned to explore the beauties of the Wilderness section of the GRNP but due to the again extremely unpleasant weather we had not seen much. We spent only a short visit to Island Lake, Langvlei and Rondevlei.

Reed Cormorant

White-throated Swallow

Red-knobbed Coot

Yellow-billed Duck

Malachite Kingfisher

Cape Weaver

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next