Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: On the stoep of the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:24 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Day 5

I woke up bright and early at 4:30 (yes I did enjoy sleeping in this morning)Image
Now my whole regime changed from now on, sleep later, have to wake the family, make a Christmas bed for the kiddies in the car, carry the sleeping beauties to the car and then be on my way to the Kruger. (Just the thought of having my own scares the heebee geebees out of meImage Image

Kiddies fast asleep and very exited grown ups we enter the Kruger Gate and again drive the riverine road S3 I think :hmz: Only impies greets us and I wonder why this road is so quiet today?Image
Back on the tar road and the kiddies woke up just in time to see the kitties. It was one of those days I wished I had a larger car (we couldn't see over the grass...eish) Mr. Lion peeked over the grass to greet us.

He almost look like Cindy Crawford with that fake mole (I know it's grass)Image
And the King of the beasts yawned...

See, that's why I drive alone! My sister couldn't believe that I was taking a gazilion pictures of the lions-she kept on hassling and complaining and blah blah blah Image
So we left my kitties... We took the S65 and had a little brush with panic. Only a mock charge nothing hectic... My knickers were still dry after that incident Image

There were one of those safari vehicles that rushed past him and waited to see when he would be calm again to signal us to put the pedal to the medal...
We turned on the H1-1 to go to Skukuza and I saw something in the road, it is really a treat for me to see puffies and how utter upset I was to see the state in which I saw my one and only one in the Kruger that week!Image
Bloody people that speed! :evil: :evil: :evil: :sniper: (not for sensitive viewers-tried to cut the bad parts out)

Then a funny moment come (mind you I think it is one of those things that was only funny at that moment) but I have to share it...
I see a car that has stopped next to the road and I see that they are looking at an eagle, now before getting out the binocs I just call it: 'Martial Eagle' my sister's 4 year old very chuffed with herself for repeating these BIG words screams 'Mamma, dis 'n marshmallow evil!' Image Well, we laughed a lot! And to top it all of I think it is a Wahlberg eagle (please correct me if I'm wrong again)

We left and saw another Giant snail along our way to Skukuza

We saw Ground Hornbills as well (with a kill)

And then on the same tree 2 eagles: now I think the one with the blueish beak is a juvenile Bateleur and the lighter one is a Tawny eagle? :hmz:

We went to Skukuza, each bought an ice cream and all with VERY happy faces left the Kruger...Image

Stay tuned for our afternoon drive

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 pm 
Day 5...the afternoon drive

Got the family in the car and off we went on another safari ride in the Kruger Image

We entered the pearly gates and decided to take the H1-2 and then form there to the H4-1 back to the H11.
As we approached the low water bridge just past Skukuza we saw this gentleman relaxing in the water

We were taking pics, having a bit of a chat and realized he was getting closer, he was about 2m from the car when my sis just commented: 'Uhm, don't they like jump 3m or so, to catch their prey?' and I was like let's just get the heck out of here--don't want to be croc chow today! Image Image

We drove on, deciding if we should take the Maroela loop, which was frowned upon by the majority-thus them and not me :hmz: and came upon a troop of baboons. Now I just love taking pics of the cute babies and this is my best attempt up to date :dance:

I don't know why, but bushbucks are always close when we see baboons so this little lady crossed the road and we got to take a pic or two.

Oops just saw that it was a little gent-my mistake Image
The rest of the drive was very quiet and on the H4-1 we were greeted by a vervet family. This litlle vervet was guilty of gluttony Image :naughty:

Just past Skukuza I saw a lot of eety beety wartie piglets and they were definitely a worth the roadblock that I was in! The kids were going mad watching these piggies! :dance:

We saw a Wahlberg eagle

A Beautiful woodland kingfisher

And as a last animal surprise for the day-this was the only animal my sister really wanted to see for the trip was a ...............drum roll please.............Image

Everybody was happy and we were satisfied with the Kruger gave us today! Until we were about 300m from the gate when human stupidis made me boiling hot with anger Image
1. They speed past us
2. Stop next to the road
3. Climb out and urinate next to the road while friend climbs out and chats to another car

I stop at the gate and wait for them to arrive as well, I tell the lady that helped me to exit what happened and SHE TELL ME: 'I'm sorry there is nothing we can do about it except warn them literally'... Bull... Now you telling me that we are all allowed to just walk freely in the Kruger and will only be issued with a verbal warning-and I look like Angelina Jolie! Image

We left the Kruger very unhappy, got home. Took out the Amarula and poured it into a glass with ice, so I could relax once again. The sun was setting as we started our braai and another great day, with a little bit of drama ended on the Stoep of the Kruger.

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 pm 
Day 6 Our last day...Image
It was only me and me mum today in the Kruger and I decided to take the H11->H4-1->over the high water bridge->H1-2 back to the Kruger gate. So off went to search for my mums elusive cat-the leopard!Image

On the H4-1 we saw a fish eagle from afar! Not a great pic...

Then just one male vervet posed for us next to the road

We stopped at Nkuhlu to get some refreshments Image it was very early so we unfortunately didn't have buffpies-but I will have one on my next trip! :thumbs_up: The picnic spot was very quiet but oh so beautiful...

We saw a Cheeky bobjan that decided that he was a master thief and tried to break into someones car for a snack of some sorts...

We climbed in the car and drove back to the high water bridge, next to the river we saw a dagga boy in the reeds.

And then we took the Maroela loop which gave us absolutely nothing! ImageMy mum made a note to herself that she would never drive that road againImage
As we finished Maroela loop we saw 2 cars about 500m from us and I decided to go have a little peekImage
As we come closer it looks like it is friends chatting and I start thinking how stupid I was for going that way...Image AND then we see it-2 young male lions lying in the bush and now I was glad we had a small car because we had a spot where we could see between all the little branches and nothing was in our way :dance: :dance: :dance: .

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I was very HAPPY as we left the Kruger to go have lunch at Sabie Park! All I want to see is the golden kitties and I did, I did! Image

to be continued... our last drive in the Kruger

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:59 pm 
The last drive

I so never wanted to post this episode as it meant that m trip was over-but the show has to move on and we I have to close a chapter to begin another one. Image
So wait no longer my friends this will happen soon, I will decide to take a drive the afternoon in the Kruger and we will see some animals and I will share the pics with you...
So relax, this one will be short but oh so sweet Image Image

So we enter the Kruger Gate and I really am glad to be back again-like 5 hours caused me withdrawal symptoms or something-we quickly decide to take the H11-S1-S3 route as it had brought us diverse sightings and never disappointed us!Image
We were greeted by a kudu ewe that was in the shade, and I believe she was pondering why we didn't do the same as it was about 35 degrees :slap:

Then again a chameleon decide to start a roadblock (OK it was only us because we had to make sure that he crossed the road safely)Image

He did give us the chance to take great pics though...

Well this guy didn't look very impressed with these two women sticking out of their car like to monkeys trying to take as many awesome pics as possible. We reversed and waited for him to peacefully finish his marathon over the tar road as you may know there are a lot of speedsters in the Park and you can never be too careful :rtm:
On the S3 we saw this ellie all by her lonesome self

and we saw that he wore a collar? I have never seen that before... :hmz:

and about 500m past her this tusker

you don't really see a lot of ellies with big tusks in the South. I wonder why?
We left the Kruger, not with sadness, but with assurance that this was not our last Kruger visit. The big gate of the Kruger will be seen again and he will open and show us all his glory that we will off course capture on film and share with all of you along with interesting stories. :thumbs_up:

We did a short drive in Sabie Park where we saw a young kudu bull

a few zebs and impies. I actually want to show you the two snotties, my sister kids, that totally loves the Kruger as well! This is how we drive in Sabie Park as there are no predators except the occasional hyena or leopard.
The blonde one is the author of the infamous Marshmallow evil. You will be actually very impressed of their animal knowledge! They just love their zerbas and griaffes and only want to see jackals!

This was my first trip alone in the Kruger but will definitely not be my last and I am really honored to be able to share it with all of you. Thanks for being part of my story on the Stoep of the Kruger...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm 
Now for a BONUS here is a video of the hyenas near BnD
The babies complained when mummy stood up and the noise they made was just too good to be true so I had to take a video... Please mind this was my first ever video taken and the I'm not a professional...

ENJOY!

http://flic.kr/p/b8U7QB

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3