SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Road Etiquette
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:06 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

don wrote:
Just curious about some rules of the road in KNP.

Lets see if I can answer them all.
don wrote:
Assume that one can meander as slowly as desired?

Yep, however keeping in mind that you have to be inside the camp on time.
don wrote:
Is it OK to pull the car to the right hand side and stop for a sighting? If so, will cars coming from afront expect you to move, or will they go around?

They will go around, but more likely join you to create a traffic jam. I would not park my car on the righthand side on a tarroad at all.
don wrote:
When stopping for a sighting, does one stop in the road or pull off to the side, if possible, either completely or partially?

Never leave the road. You will damage the shoulder, or even the houses of the smaller mammals and insects.
don wrote:
How are massive traffic jams resolved?

Slowly. Usually after everyone is convinced the object of interest really has been gone for half an hour.
don wrote:
How long is appropriate to occupy a prime sighting spot if other cars are obviously waiting to get a better view?

As far as I know it is first in, first rights, but within normal etiquette.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

don wrote:
How long is appropriate to occupy a prime sighting spot if other cars are obviously waiting to get a better view?

We had an experience that would illustrate this well.
I used to drive an UNO - not the biggest cars on the planet. :lol:
On the tar road from Malelane Gate we arrived at a traffic jam and was told by a car just leaving that a pride of lions were resting somewhat deep into the veld.
We decided to wait and drive by as with the low ground clearance our chances were second to none to see them.
What a nice surprise when a guy in a Toyota Hilux 4X4 Bakkie indicated to us that he was making way for us on the right hand side of the road where we could see the lions quite well.
All he did was not drive forward after the car in front of him had left.
We assume he saw we had the kids with us.

In this case we made pretty sure we didn't stay too long as we felt we were given an opportunity and didn't want to spoil it for others. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've had similar experiences, GP, of cars making way or angling in such a way that there is room for others to also get a view of the sighting. We write a lot about the rude okes we encounter in the park, but some mention should also be made of the vast majority of visitors who are considerate of others and eager to share space and sightings.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Or someone flashing lights at you or waving you down to tell you about something they just saw. 8) And it still happens more than we expect.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Must say we like going in a "higher" vehicle so usually go with a Kombi or Venture. For us it is policy to always make space for smaller / lower cars infront of us, as we have no problem looking over them.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
don wrote:
Is it OK to pull the car to the right hand side and stop for a sighting? If so, will cars coming from afront expect you to move, or will they go around?

As a photographer i do it all the time and had no problems from oncoming cars. Most cars stop to see what i saw and drove of after a while. There is no rule on keeping to your side when watching wildlife. But always do so with common sense.

I do this, too, and for the same reasons, but I think I've read in the rules somewhere that it is actually illegal :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
don wrote:

They will go around, but more likely join you to create a traffic jam. I would not park my car on the righthand side on a tarroad at all.

I Do, and it is acceptable, Not sure about legality, but masses of people do it as well and as long as you don't park after a blind rise it should be ok. I did it once and a ranger stopped to ask me what we were looking at, and said nothing about it. Since then I deemed it ok, but like DQ said, don't leave the tar. That is illegal

DuQues wrote:
don wrote:

As far as I know it is first in, first rights, but within normal etiquette.

Yes, but it is good manners to give other people a chance after 5 or so minutes. If you want to spend time there, you don't need the best view, and eventually the other cars will move off and before you know it, you will have the sighting to yourself

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have often found that a certain unspoken etiquette prevails. Like greeting on a mountain walk. For myself, I try to be aware of the other visitors to the park. Although I have experienced the occasional spoiler, most people have been very considerate.
:roll: I also accept that I have to deal with photographers having two sets of eyes.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

On the trip last year we actually had a staff vehicle( for a private camp) reverse and let us come past to watch a cheetah rolling on the sand road on the way to Talamati camp, most very sweet of them :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Bush Baptist wrote:
When the big cats are on the move there are no rules. I am amazed that I have never seen anybody meet by accident.

Most people do not muscle in to the front, but take their turn at a sighting, but when it is 'only a bird' I have had quite a few sightings spoilt by cat seekers.

I know of car accidents in Kruger that took human lives.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Usually found most people to be courteous, have been shown sightings and had people change the angle of their vehicle for us to get a better view, try to do the same and return the favour.

What always worries me is when I am driving slowly and another vehicle decides it just cant wait and has to overtake, fine when you can see whats coming but on blind inclines and bends when you just dont know what's there, risky, always feel its rather foolish to risk running in to something, than take that extra second or two, too ensure a clear view.
Then you have the ones who want to get passed but don't want to take the risk of overtaking, where they cant see, so try and get their vehicle in to the boot of your vehicle, I suppose the theory is that if they get sooooooooo close you'll speed up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:33 pm 

We saw broken tail light/reflector glass lying in the road on 2 different places this year, obviously people meeting "by accident" which is why one of our pet hates is cars tailgating us when driving around.

The drivers are certainly not going to be as alert as normal, while keeping one eye in the bush and it just needs the front car to stop for something and the inevitable happens.

We always slow right down, wave them past and if they still don't pass then we stop and pretend we are reading the map etc. that normally does the trick. :wink:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:35 pm 

Elsa wrote:
We always slow right down, wave them past and if they still don't pass then we stop and pretend we are reading the map etc. that normally does the trick. :wink:

Same trick here :D

Post subject: Road etiquette
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm 

We were in Kruger this past long weekend & were unfortunate enough to come upon an accident scene no more than 1 km from Nkhulu (Mkhulu?) picnic site where a Toyota corolla rear-ended a Toyota venture.
Apart from having their vehicle damaged, the poor lady in the venture needed stitches to her forehead - a doctor from Skukuza was called to the scene.
The corolla couldn't even drive, it was so badly smashed :shock:
As long as a lesson was learnt from the fact that 2 families had their weekend ruined.
According to people on the scene they were not speeding :? , but if you ask me even 50kmph is too fast, especially if you don't keep a proper following distance as your attention is often elsewhere.
I would like to see road signs at the entry gates warning people to mind their following distances.
I might add that a little common sense will also go a long way...
We also slow right down if someone is tailgating.
Knowing that the Park was going to be busy this weekend i added a big sign in my rear window that read: "CAUTION!! We BRAKE for birds."
It seemed to work wonders as people avoided coming too close before overtaking me :wink:

Tamboti 7-9 July
Lower Sabie 10-13 July 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Elsa wrote:
On our recent trip we saw a lot of newly broken reflector glass etc at the intersection just before Lower Sabie where the H10 joins in from over the river.
How on earth does this happen unless people are being plain careless and really not observing the general road rules. :shock:

Saw that myself! :lol:

I think what happened is that a bloke reversed with a trailer and jack-knived it. I have nearly managed the same on several occasions in Kruger.

Once a buddy of mine saw it was getting too close for comfort(I was driving his brand spanking new 323 motorsport beemer) and stabbed me a knuckle sandwhich in the short rib that made me blow out air like a sinusitis troubled hippo that swallowed a chilli-flavoured barber(catfish). :twisted: :cry:

I now simply refuse to take a trailer to the Park! :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman