Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
:thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Travellers are urged to take necessary anti-malaria medi
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:34 am 

I'm with bundi and BB: we have travelled to places like ZA, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania without ever taking any malaria pills and we're still alive and healthy...yes, the risk is there but there are tons of other risks equally as high, a lot of them even higher...you might get bitten by a snake, might be involved in a road accident, might get struck by lightning etc etc...plus: the side effects of malaria pills can almost be as bad as the disease itself - and I certainly would not want to have my holiday ruined by these side effects

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:01 pm 

We are arriving in Feb and although I would rather feel safe with the protection of the malaria pills I have decided to do without as the side effects are rather catastrophic in my case and utterly ruined our last trip! So its long sleeves and bathing in tabard for me this time, hold thumbs :wink:

15-17 Feb Tamboti
17-21 Feb Biyamiti
21-24 Feb Satara

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:19 pm 

You will be fine Andrea.

I am no expert on the issues of malaria, but have always taken preventative measures instead. I have worked in Africa for 20 years and have been to more than 40 countries in our continent. Among these I have even stayed for a week on a Congolese fishing trawler and have spent numerous nights deep inside the Central African jungle, without any serious concerns.

Granted during the past 20 years I have picked up malaria a few times, but on each of these were able to be diagnosed very early and received medication, which may have been a different story had I taken malaria medication.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:54 pm 

I think it all comes down to personal opinion. I have always taken anti-malaria meds in the summer months when visiting Kruger but never in the winter months. Luckily I never seem to suffer from side-effects.

For my upcoming trip I have just got something called Malarone which I have never used before so we shall see.

13-16 April - Satara
16-19 April - Biyamiti
19-22 April - Lower Sabie

Can't Wait !!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 am 

Hi hope someone is able to answer this question.(my dr is away and can't get hold of him to ask)
I am planning on arriving at the kruger park on Friday at about 12pm- if I start to take the Malanil on Thursday night will I still be protected against the malaria or it is not in my system for enough time before arriving?
TIA

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:30 am 
Hi thebush.

Ideally, Malanil should be started 2-3 days prior to entry of a malarial area, used for the time in the malarial area, and then continued for a week after exiting the malarial area. Some sources say 1 day prior to entry of the malarial area is also sufficient. Remember that malaria is not an instant disease in that it takes a few days before the progression of the disease is severe enough to be noticed and to cause problems; therefore, even if you were unlucky to be infected on day 1 (pretty unlikely really), as long as you take Malanil every day at the correct dosing and don't skip doses, the blood levels should be sufficient to prevent you getting malaria, or at the very least lessening the severity of the disease.

Personally, I wouldn't be overconcerned with taking Malanil 12 hours before you enter Kruger because, in any case, malaria infection could only really take place from that evening, which is about 24 hours (1 day) since you began the course. The most important thing is to take the course diligently after beginning; to not forget that non-drug measures (antimalarial sprays, plug-in mats, netting, citronella candles, etc.) are just as, if not more, important as antimalarial medication; and to enjoy your holiday!

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
With the amount of rain that fell in Kruger, great precaution must be taken in the next few months. Rather be safe thatn sorry.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Advice Given rather than received-Malaria
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Are there any figures or estimates as to how many people contract malaria after visits to K.P.?
Perhaps on a monthly basis.
Many thanks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:37 am 

what is the incubation period for malaria?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Yusuf, 7 to 12 days.

Malaria is well alive and kicking in Kruger! Make sure you take precautions. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 pm 

Tanks wildtuinman.Will be at LS for 8 days in june GOD willing. Will precautions with spray and coils be sufficient?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Yusuf, my ex-wife picked up malaria in Kruger in May 2003 (being bitten once at Lower Sabie and once at Balule, so take extra care at these two camps). Since then a lot of people had asked me for advice and every time I say the same thing: I cannot give you advice as I am not a doctor. But the one thing I can tell you is to avoid getting bitten by a mosquito at all costs. So yes use spray and burn coils, do whatever is necessary to prevent you from getting bitten.

The deadliest place for me personally where one has an absolutely awesome chance of getting bitten is in the communal bathrooms. It is nice and warm and humid in there, perfect habitat for a mozzie and once you are in your birth suite you give an open invitation to get bitten! So take extra caution here.

Enjoy your trip and have a blast! :D :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 pm 
Yusuf wrote:
what is the incubation period for malaria?

For Plasmodium Falciparum - which is the by far the most common, and generally also the most dangerous, form of malaria in Southern Africa (and also many other parts of the world) - the incubation period (that is, the time from infection until the disease shows itself) is usually between 1 and 3 weeks. However, some malaria infections only manifest later, even up to three to six months, although this appears to be much rarer and is usually the result of an inadequate (incorrect dosing) or incomplete (course not completed or doses missed) treatment of antimalarial medications.

Other forms of malaria, which are known as recurring forms, are seldom fatal, but have incubation periods usually up to a year, or even longer. These forms (P. vivax, P. malariae, and P. ovale) are seldom encountered in Southern Africa.

It is important, therefore, to ensure that one takes adequate precautions against malaria bites in malarial areas (especially during high-risk season, but also in low-risk times), and, when appropriate, that one uses antimalarial medications.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm 
wildtuinman wrote:
Yusuf, my ex-wife picked up malaria in Kruger in May 2003 (being bitten once at Lower Sabie and once at Balule, so take extra care at these two camps). Since then a lot of people had asked me for advice and every time I say the same thing: I cannot give you advice as I am not a doctor. But the one thing I can tell you is to avoid getting bitten by a mosquito at all costs. So yes use spray and burn coils, do whatever is necessary to prevent you from getting bitten.

The deadliest place for me personally where one has an absolutely awesome chance of getting bitten is in the communal bathrooms. It is nice and warm and humid in there, perfect habitat for a mozzie and once you are in your birth suite you give an open invitation to get bitten! So take extra caution here.

All camps in Kruger have malaria-carrying mosquitoes that can infect people; those nearest water do generally appear to have more mosquitoes - but no camp, and indeed no area of Kruger, is free of these dangerous insects! High-risk time means an even greater quantity of malaria-carrying mosquitoes.

I do agree that communal bathrooms can pose a higher risk of contracting malaria as the body is indeed usually exposed in its entirety and windows and doors may be open.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 84  Next