Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Ronel, because mefloquine can sometimes have strange side-effects (like very vivid dreams or feeling generally spaced-out or weird), I would have started her on the tablets two to three weeks before you go. That way, if she does get side-effects, you could have switched meds. Nevertheless, it is still a relatively small amount of people that do get severe side-effects on mefloquine and the dosing is easy for a young child. Therefore, let's hold thumbs that she'll be quite okay on the meds. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 am 

Oi,she is starting tonight - half a tablet. Thank you,you gave me more information than anybody else did. We will defenitely pray for a good night sleep and no side effects! :pray:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:04 am 
I'll wager that she'll be fine - as I say, debilitating side-effects are not as common as everyone thinks. :thumbs_up:

I wouldn't crush the tablet if I could help it as it may be too unpalatable for her - in any case, half a tablet is not too large for a seven-year old to swallow. So, if you want, give it with condensed milk (yummmmm) or yoghurt.

Have a safe and superb trip!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm 

Thank you again onewithnature,appreciate your help!

We are leaving Friday morning at 4 to go to Pretoria!

:gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:44 pm 
:thumbs_up:

Post subject: Travellers are urged to take necessary anti-malaria medicati
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:01 pm 

Hi All,

Came across this article in our local newspaper so thought of sharing.

The Gauteng Department of Health and Social Department urged citizens to take anti malarial medication before visiting malaria endemic areas.
Spokesman Simon Zwane said 29 deaths out of 2278 malaria cases were reported in the province this year. The deaths were of people who had travelled to malaria endemic areas, "Those travelling to areas such a Kruger National Park, Tanzania, Mozambique, Kenya and Somalia are adviced to avoid mosquito bites while visiting those countries," he said.
He said people travlling to affected areas should seek medical attention when symptoms of malaria were suspected. He urged people to take anti malaria medication.
people at risk include immuno-compromised individuals, children under age of 5, the elderly and pregnant women.
Malaria is a disease transmitted by mosquito bites. The symptoms are flu like including fever, headache, body aches and pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. To prevent Malaria avoid mosquito bitesby staying indoors at night, wearing long sleeved shirts and trousers or using mosquito repellants that can be applied to exposed skin. Burn mosquito repellqnt coils and candles, spray insecticides and use nets around the bed.

Post subject: Re: Travellers are urged to take necessary anti-malaria medi
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks a lot Rakesh. If you dont mind me asking how bad is malaria during the Winter, June in Particular since will be visiting the Park for 13 days than

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:29 pm 

There is a thread on malaria here rakesh and kallis1786

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks DUKE

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone. Just a quick question, What is the Malaria risk like in Kruger during June. I have been to the Park hundreds of times including overnight accommodation. Out of all my trips I have only been to the South of Kruger twice, but will be visiting the Park from North to South in June and will mostly be staying in the South. To be honest I have never taken any anti malaria tablets in my life on any visit to the park. So because this time I will be visiting the Park for almost 2 weeks, I am a bit cautios, and my first ever camping trip instead of the usual Bunglow.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:48 pm 
Good evening Kallis.

Officially, the whole of Kruger is considered to be relatively low-risk during the winter months of June, July, and August, and indeed during September as well, as these months are considered to be dry. The recommendations from the South African Department of Health and the World Health Organisation for low-risk areas is generally to use sufficient non-drug measures - including plug-in mats, antimalarial sprays/roll-ons, netting, and covering vulnerable body parts (e.g. ankles, wrists, back of the knees, behind the ears, inner thighs, neck and upper back) with clothing. These same organisations do not suggest antimalarial medication during low-risk times (as long as you're using effective non-drug measures), but you will see many other places suggesting medication throughout the entire year despite this. I can only believe that the reason these other organisations do this is to protect themselves legally.

However, one should weigh up the risks of contracting malaria against the (potential) side-effects and/or drug interactions and/or viability of using a particular antimalarial medicine. This is what the WHO and SA Dept of Health have done, but ultimately malaria-risk may vary from person to person, and indeed from area to area, and so there are cases where antimalarials plus non-drug measures may be necessary for some people during low-risk times. However, I have come across very few people where this has been the case.

Personally, I do not use antimalarial medications in low-risk malaria areas, but do still ensure I follow suitable and effective non-drug measures. I still follow this protocol even when I'm camping, for as long as the tent has sufficient (and unbroken) mosquito netting, there should be little difference between the bungalow and the tent. Of course, air conditioning in a bungalow does help to prevent mosquitoes flying around, which is one advantage I can think the bungalow has over the tent.

A low-risk malarial area means that the number of mosquitoes flying around and/or those carrying malaria are lower than during high-risk season. However, low-risk is not no-risk, hence the requirement of still using non-drug measures. If one develops flu-like symptoms (often with a significantly raised body temperature) within about a week of entering a malarial area, rather have a malaria test to determine if you have contracted the deadly disease or not. If necessary, repeat the test.

Hope this helps to answer some of your concerns, Kallis?

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:56 pm 

Hi Kallis,

In addition to one with nature would like to add that when out in the evenings or at dawn one can use tabbard powder or peaceful sleep and also burn citronella candles while camping.
Personally I have visited the park in both summer and winter season and never took any anti malaria medication due to side effects. But you can definitely decide what you are comfortable with.
In any case precautions are necessary coz better be safe than sorry.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JMO and in supprt of OWN, if one decides to take precautions to prevent being bitten and only that, fine. But when caring for a child IMO there should be no risks taken at all. For me, without children but with a niece and nephew, I would use all precautions available including medication even in the low risk times.

The best is to do a test run of the meds before visiting to see if there are any side effects. Malaria is not to be trifled with and the responsibility of a child is not worth taking any risk at all.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks a lot onewithnature and rakesh. Will be taking lots of Peaceful sleep. and will take some citronella. Missings.a you are ryt, if it has kids concerned than I think best option is to take extra precautions.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Rakesh.

It does sound as though there has been a very concerning outbreak. I will take heed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 81  Next