Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

RonelR

Re: Malaria

Unread postby RonelR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:48 pm

We are going to KNP for a week with my inlaws and they were told by their doctor not to bother with malaria tablets but to get Vitamin B12 as the dr said it gives a certain smell from your body to keep the mozzies away.
Is there any ideas out there about this?
My hubby and I and our daughter just got our cycliodox and mefliam this morning.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Ronel, that is a strange thing for a doctor to say as one has to suppose that he/she researched the idea before trusting the information to protect his patients from such a potentially lethal disease as malaria! And strange indeed based on the fact that there is little evidence to support such a mode of malarial prevention.

I remember some years ago when I had several calls from people in the UK and the USA who had supposedly read in the media, as well as heard from other people, that one only needed to take Vitamin B Co tablets or injections to prevent the malaria-carrying mosquitoes from biting through their skin. The theory indeed was that the vitamins were secreted onto the skin and this was sufficiently pungent to deter the mossies.

Let me assure you that if Vitamin B Co on its own was sufficient to prevent mosquitoes from spreading malaria, I am pretty sure that the authorities would not only have publicised this extensively, but would have instituted measures to prevent a million-odd people dying yearly from the disease, the largest majority being children from Africa. And if the authorities didn't, they should be strung up for negligence!

Some people have contended that they find that Vitamin B Co can deter mosquitoes from biting as frequently as they usually do, but this is both conjecture and, in all likelihood, a personal finding. In my experience, I have tried Vitamin B Co tablets in addition to my usual treatment regimens, and I cannot say that I saw any obvious difference in biting frequency!

The official recommendations still remain as appropriate malaria-prevention medications (prescribed by a doctor) and effective and appropriate non-drug measures, both of which you will find extensive information on this thread about.

Glad therefore, Ronel, to see that you have chosen antimalarials for Kruger for your family (I assume you're going in the high-risk season although you don't patently mention this?), and I would advise that your in-laws follow the same path (they need to consult with their doctor regarding suitable meds for them though). And don't forget the non-drug measures ... PLEASE! They're just as, if not more, important than the medications!

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

RonelR

Unread postby RonelR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Thank you onewithnature for your answer! I feell exactly the same about it all and actually printed your answer to give to my inlaws. Apparently the dr said he uses it all the time when he goes and it works for him.But like you say if it was working the authorities would have done something about it years ago! We feel strongly about the malaria and all the anti mozzie creams and sprays and everything else is already in the bag.
We will be in the Kruger next Wednesday the 21st of December. My daughter has to start her tablet tomorow. Apparently its very bitter and we were told to crash it with a teaspoon of condensed milk if she can't drink it.
Thank you again for your informative answer! Really appreciate it! :thumbs_up:
Blessings for a wonderful Christmas! We will be spending Christmas in Letaba! :dance:

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 pm

:thumbs_up: Have a fantastic trip to Kruger! Letaba is quite dry at the moment and I hope you get some rain. What a way to spend Xmas! :dance: :dance:

How old is your daughter? I assume she is the one using the Mefliam? And she hasn't used mefloquine before?
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm

normana53 wrote:We typically take all precautions that we can. no exposed skin in the evenings and at night, we use DEET based repellants and I take Malarone. My SO can't take any of the Anti-Malarials that are prescribed here in the states for our visits as they make her so ill that she can't function. Don't know what else to do for her, though she does take all other necessary precautions.

Personally Malarone's only effect on me is how it changes my dreams - when taking it I have very strange - bizarre dreams that are overly vivid.

What antimalarials has she tried, Normana, and what side-effects with each did she experience? Also, any chronic medical conditions I need to know about, or allergies of any sort?

If you prefer to pm me with this info rather than posting on a public site, you're welcome to.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

RonelR

Unread postby RonelR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:42 am

onewithnature wrote:How old is your daughter? I assume she is the one using the Mefliam? And she hasn't used mefloquine before?

She is 7 years old and yes she hasn't used it before.It will be her first trip to the Kruger.

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 am

Ronel, because mefloquine can sometimes have strange side-effects (like very vivid dreams or feeling generally spaced-out or weird), I would have started her on the tablets two to three weeks before you go. That way, if she does get side-effects, you could have switched meds. Nevertheless, it is still a relatively small amount of people that do get severe side-effects on mefloquine and the dosing is easy for a young child. Therefore, let's hold thumbs that she'll be quite okay on the meds. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

RonelR

Unread postby RonelR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 am

Oi,she is starting tonight - half a tablet. Thank you,you gave me more information than anybody else did. We will defenitely pray for a good night sleep and no side effects! :pray:

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:04 am

I'll wager that she'll be fine - as I say, debilitating side-effects are not as common as everyone thinks. :thumbs_up:

I wouldn't crush the tablet if I could help it as it may be too unpalatable for her - in any case, half a tablet is not too large for a seven-year old to swallow. So, if you want, give it with condensed milk (yummmmm) or yoghurt.

Have a safe and superb trip!
EVERYBODY'S TR!

RonelR

Unread postby RonelR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Thank you again onewithnature,appreciate your help!

We are leaving Friday morning at 4 to go to Pretoria!

:gflower:

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:44 pm

:thumbs_up:
EVERYBODY'S TR!

rakesh

Travellers are urged to take necessary anti-malaria medicati

Unread postby rakesh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi All,

Came across this article in our local newspaper so thought of sharing.

The Gauteng Department of Health and Social Department urged citizens to take anti malarial medication before visiting malaria endemic areas.
Spokesman Simon Zwane said 29 deaths out of 2278 malaria cases were reported in the province this year. The deaths were of people who had travelled to malaria endemic areas, "Those travelling to areas such a Kruger National Park, Tanzania, Mozambique, Kenya and Somalia are adviced to avoid mosquito bites while visiting those countries," he said.
He said people travlling to affected areas should seek medical attention when symptoms of malaria were suspected. He urged people to take anti malaria medication.
people at risk include immuno-compromised individuals, children under age of 5, the elderly and pregnant women.
Malaria is a disease transmitted by mosquito bites. The symptoms are flu like including fever, headache, body aches and pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. To prevent Malaria avoid mosquito bitesby staying indoors at night, wearing long sleeved shirts and trousers or using mosquito repellants that can be applied to exposed skin. Burn mosquito repellqnt coils and candles, spray insecticides and use nets around the bed.

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Travellers are urged to take necessary anti-malaria medi

Unread postby kallis1786 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks a lot Rakesh. If you dont mind me asking how bad is malaria during the Winter, June in Particular since will be visiting the Park for 13 days than

Duke Ellieton

Unread postby Duke Ellieton » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:29 pm

There is a thread on malaria here rakesh and kallis1786

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks DUKE

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”