Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malaria in March
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Andreas_79 wrote:
Bushmom wrote:
He did say "no camping" though.
Why not?

The nearer the ground, the greater the risk!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here is a lot of information about this subject

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm 

My father-in-law got malaria at Balule and died. He loved the KNP and his ashes are scattered there. We are very concientious about taking all precautions. Don't be complacent, it can happen to anyone.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 pm 

Bushmom wrote:
Andreas_79 wrote:
Bushmom wrote:
He did say "no camping" though.
Why not?

The nearer the ground, the greater the risk!

Never heard about this before. But as a bed is usually only half a meter or so above the ground that doesn´t make a big difference to me, to be honest.

Anyway...............i caught malaria last year in autumn in Mozambique. I know Mozambique is a different story. But even in Mozambique there were less mosquitos around at this time of the year and i got bitten only once. But this one bite was "lucky shot" and i can only tell you that it was a very bad experience. Although i got treated within 48 hours after the breakout i felt so bad for three days like i never felt before.

What i am trying to say - don´t panic about malaria but never underestimate it. It is vicious.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 am 

I guess that what the doctor meant by "no camping" is that in a camping environment you are more exposed to the elements, e.g. if you get up at night or in the early morning with a pressing need to go to the toilet, you are unlikely to be fully protected from mosquitos, while in a cottage you are.

Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 am 

Malaria is no reason not to go to KNP, as long as you take all the precautionary steps. We always use Tabard and light coils outside morning and evening, and take Doxycycline.

To those people who don't take any medication, that is your own personal choice, but it is my personal opinion that not giving it to your children, who don't have that choice, is basically negligence.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Well, the onus is on a tourist to find what precautions in the areas they are visiting are needed, and then to take sensible precautions to minimise risk to health. This applies not only to malaria, but to any other diseases or risks where one is going.

Children indeed often face a much higher risk of morbidity and mortality related to many diseases, and so people need to be extra cautious with the preventative measures for children. Sometimes, it is wiser not to put one's children at unnecessary risk.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:02 pm 
Hi everyone. Just a reminder that visitors to Kruger National Park and Mapungubwe, and any other designated malaria areas in Southern Africa (or anywhere in the world for that matter) (consult a malaria map or speak to a knowledgeable health professional) need to seriously consider using antimalarial medication, in addition to non-drug measures. In high-risk malarial areas, anti-malarial medication plus non-drug measures are the recommendations of SANParks, the World Health Organisation, and the South African Department of Health, amongst other important organisations involved with malaria and its prevention. If you're unsure if you can/should use effective antimalarial measures, please ask a knowledgeable professional in this regard.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We typically take all precautions that we can. no exposed skin in the evenings and at night, we use DEET based repellants and I take Malarone. My SO can't take any of the Anti-Malarials that are prescribed here in the states for our visits as they make her so ill that she can't function. Don't know what else to do for her, though she does take all other necessary precautions.

Personally Malarone's only effect on me is how it changes my dreams - when taking it I have very strange - bizarre dreams that are overly vivid.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:48 pm 

We are going to KNP for a week with my inlaws and they were told by their doctor not to bother with malaria tablets but to get Vitamin B12 as the dr said it gives a certain smell from your body to keep the mozzies away.
Is there any ideas out there about this?
My hubby and I and our daughter just got our cycliodox and mefliam this morning.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm 
Ronel, that is a strange thing for a doctor to say as one has to suppose that he/she researched the idea before trusting the information to protect his patients from such a potentially lethal disease as malaria! And strange indeed based on the fact that there is little evidence to support such a mode of malarial prevention.

I remember some years ago when I had several calls from people in the UK and the USA who had supposedly read in the media, as well as heard from other people, that one only needed to take Vitamin B Co tablets or injections to prevent the malaria-carrying mosquitoes from biting through their skin. The theory indeed was that the vitamins were secreted onto the skin and this was sufficiently pungent to deter the mossies.

Let me assure you that if Vitamin B Co on its own was sufficient to prevent mosquitoes from spreading malaria, I am pretty sure that the authorities would not only have publicised this extensively, but would have instituted measures to prevent a million-odd people dying yearly from the disease, the largest majority being children from Africa. And if the authorities didn't, they should be strung up for negligence!

Some people have contended that they find that Vitamin B Co can deter mosquitoes from biting as frequently as they usually do, but this is both conjecture and, in all likelihood, a personal finding. In my experience, I have tried Vitamin B Co tablets in addition to my usual treatment regimens, and I cannot say that I saw any obvious difference in biting frequency!

The official recommendations still remain as appropriate malaria-prevention medications (prescribed by a doctor) and effective and appropriate non-drug measures, both of which you will find extensive information on this thread about.

Glad therefore, Ronel, to see that you have chosen antimalarials for Kruger for your family (I assume you're going in the high-risk season although you don't patently mention this?), and I would advise that your in-laws follow the same path (they need to consult with their doctor regarding suitable meds for them though). And don't forget the non-drug measures ... PLEASE! They're just as, if not more, important than the medications!

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 pm 

Thank you onewithnature for your answer! I feell exactly the same about it all and actually printed your answer to give to my inlaws. Apparently the dr said he uses it all the time when he goes and it works for him.But like you say if it was working the authorities would have done something about it years ago! We feel strongly about the malaria and all the anti mozzie creams and sprays and everything else is already in the bag.
We will be in the Kruger next Wednesday the 21st of December. My daughter has to start her tablet tomorow. Apparently its very bitter and we were told to crash it with a teaspoon of condensed milk if she can't drink it.
Thank you again for your informative answer! Really appreciate it! :thumbs_up:
Blessings for a wonderful Christmas! We will be spending Christmas in Letaba! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 pm 
:thumbs_up: Have a fantastic trip to Kruger! Letaba is quite dry at the moment and I hope you get some rain. What a way to spend Xmas! :dance: :dance:

How old is your daughter? I assume she is the one using the Mefliam? And she hasn't used mefloquine before?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm 
normana53 wrote:
We typically take all precautions that we can. no exposed skin in the evenings and at night, we use DEET based repellants and I take Malarone. My SO can't take any of the Anti-Malarials that are prescribed here in the states for our visits as they make her so ill that she can't function. Don't know what else to do for her, though she does take all other necessary precautions.

Personally Malarone's only effect on me is how it changes my dreams - when taking it I have very strange - bizarre dreams that are overly vivid.

What antimalarials has she tried, Normana, and what side-effects with each did she experience? Also, any chronic medical conditions I need to know about, or allergies of any sort?

If you prefer to pm me with this info rather than posting on a public site, you're welcome to.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:42 am 

onewithnature wrote:
How old is your daughter? I assume she is the one using the Mefliam? And she hasn't used mefloquine before?

She is 7 years old and yes she hasn't used it before.It will be her first trip to the Kruger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 81  Next