Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recycling Project in Skukuza.
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:39 am 

The Skukuza restcamp has recently installed 150 new baboon-proof stainless steel dustbins which are designed to separate the (“Big 5) recyclables materials” from “other waste materials”. These dustbins suggest that Sanparks finally takes steps to limit their environmental footprint.

However after witnessing the garbage truck collecting the waste in the camp last week and mixing the recyclables materials bin content with the other waste materials, and talking to some of the cleaning staff in the Skukuza camp, who confirmed that it did not matter which of the dustbins you used, as all waste was mixed up at the end anyway, I get the feeling that the whole Sanparks recycling project is a misleading deception.

If this is indeed the case, I find this extremely disappointing. All the guests of the camp who take the effort to separate their waste materials are deliberately deceived and given the false impression that the management of Sanparks cares for the environment.

I would like to hear more about the credibility of the recycling project from the management of the park.

Post subject: Re: Recycling Project in Skukuza... misleading window dressi
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:56 am 

Maybe Lesego could find out for us why this is happening as it seems to be a total waste of time if the waste still has to be resorted again at the end point if indeed that does happen. :?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I could be wrong, but I think all Skukuza's rubbish and waste go in the same truck/s and are then dumped outside camp at the dumping site. Or do they remove the rubbish out of Kruger?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What are the general recycling practises in South Africa?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Weltenman, it gets dumped on allocated dumping sites, covered and in some cases new developments take place on top of it all. Pretoria doesn't have a strong recycling drive...all waste and rubbish are put in one bin and removed by the municipality. Many recycling businesses collect their materials like glass or plastic from the dumping sites, take it to their premises and recycle it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There is still an education problem regarding the use of the recycling dustbins. As such wrong items are often dumped in to the wrong bins in the camp. This is true of both visitors and personnel.

But I have seen the other side as well as I have often "visited" the dump site. At the rubbish "dump" all material are separated and recycling do take place. I.e. the plastics, cans, bottles are placed in separate containers, which is taken from KNP for recycling. Visiting there you will often see it packaged and stacked for removal.

So by using the correct bins, people are actually helping by making the separation easier for the people working with this. (A job I would not like to do!) Items not placed in the correct bins, will however still be separated for recycling.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I am only speaking about recycling in two places . While in Umhlanga Rubbish was in black bags and garden refuse in blue bags these were collected by the ethekweni solid waste dept . But all our recyclable plastic and paper were collected seperately by Mondi
In Parklands Cape Town we put small garden stuff and rubbish into our wheelie bin and all our recyclable stuff including tin cans but not glass into a large plastic bag these two are collected seperately . There an awful lot of folk who come with their trolleys and take the glass away
We saw those special bins in Croc bridge . I am sure the monkeys will in no time find a way into the bin and when the bins are emptied they will be full of monkeys .!!!!
The human has to be educated and I often found rubbish in both bins .. so until people put the right stuff in the right bin the rubbish collecters will probabaly just dump both onto the rubbish truck !!!
Glad to hear they separating stuff Imberbe

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
I.e. the plastics, cans, bottles are placed in separate containers, which is taken from KNP for recycling. Visiting there you will often see it packaged and stacked for removal.

Thank you Imberbe! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have seeen the recycling plant at Skukuza :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:44 pm 

Imberbe wrote:
But I have seen the other side as well as I have often "visited" the dump site. At the rubbish "dump" all material are separated and recycling do take place. I.e. the plastics, cans, bottles are placed in separate containers, which is taken from KNP for recycling. Visiting there you will often see it packaged and stacked for removal.

So by using the correct bins, people are actually helping by making the separation easier for the people working with this. (A job I would not like to do!) Items not placed in the correct bins, will however still be separated for recycling.
I can accept that Imberbe but if the recycle bins in the camps are being emptied into the truck with all the general rubbish, as Salvatore stated, then it hardly seems to matter where one puts one's refuse?
We are dedicated recyclers and faithfully place all our waste into the correct bins in the park and at home.
Surely if the bins were kept separate from the general rubbish bins it would make their job at the dump so much easier and a lot more pleasant.
When I looked into them at Skukuza, it looked like most of the refuse in there was of the recyclable kind, obviously there will always be some who don't think and just throw in anything.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:46 pm 

The bins are supposed to be supplied of a bag which would keep the contents of the two bins separate even if it get dumped in to a single vehicle.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 pm 

When we saw the new recycling bins in Skukuza we were very excited and started our own "recycling boxes" in which we sorted the refuse and then dumped into the appropriate bins.

We stayed in Skukuza in April 2011 and again in August 2011, and both times we saw the cleaner taking out both bags from the bins and emptying them all into one bag......

I thought it was a "once off" thing and didn't even mention it to the management, but now that other people have reported the same thing, it is a bit worrying. Hope they can sort it out, efficient recycling is a step in the right direction!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am hopeful it is as stated by Imberbe, where people do sometimes forget to not put waste into the correct bins and that would require resorting later in any case. It might not be the correct way of doing it, but if they are sorting it out at the dump and then recycling surely that is a step in the right direction? Even if it means more work as it is not done properly from the start for whatever reason.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Should we not at one stage stop with all the stone throwing and accusations before the facts are laid on the table. I can tell you, as someone who lives/ lived in skukuza, recycling is taking place at the dump site. Do you honestly think a company will spend so much money on bins, just to throw it in the water? Remember, many people are not educated on recycling in sa, which means the guys has to sort it out manually. In our houses in the park we do sort it out as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hello Everyone,

We only have one truck collecting all our refuse. The bags are collected sealed to the dumping site and this makes it easier for the guys there to separate the bags as the plastics/ refuse are already separated.

Tel: (012) 426 5202