Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tawny & Martials Kruger Trip Report June 2006
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As most of you are probably already aware - Martial and I have just spent 2 wonderful weeks on holiday with Elsa, Klystron and Jock. We were extremely fortunate to see the Big Five. What an experience to watch the Leopard hunting - not that we witnessed the kill, but he sure was absolutely amazing. The Lions are always a humbling experience. Such magestic animals. My experiences with Elephants during this time however, were somewhat stressful, I have a very healthy respect for them and prefer not to get in their way!!!! We thoroughly enjoyed Lake Panic, what a beautiful restful place to sit back and relax. The baby Hippo was an added bonus to see too. What a surprise it was to see some Hyaena Cubs one afternoon. All in all we had a fabulous time and Kruger is always a welcome Holiday. Thanks Elsa & Klystron for including us once again!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
I will certainly include Lake Panic on my list. Sounds wonderfull

Lake Panic IS wonderful, Bert — and I'm not big on bird hides. I spent over an hour there early one morning when I was on my way to Hazyview to restock. Also spent 15-20 minutes with a delightful group of dwarf mongooses on the road that goes to Lake Panic. The mongooses (or are they mongeese?) were very relaxed and altho they scattered when spooked by a passing SUV (which refused to stop or even to slow down despite my signalling them and I was obviously watching something :twisted: :roll: :twisted:) , much to my surprise they came right back out once the danger had passed.

What is about people who not only have no interest in the smaller things, but also have NO respect or consideration for those who are trying to enjoy them. I had far too many experiences like this where I was watching birds or something else "insignificant", only to have my sighting spoiled by a car racing past. Clearly if a car is stopped it is likely to be watching something and it would seem to me common courtesy to at least slow down. :shock: :roll: :shock:

{end rant mode} :)

Post subject: What has happened to common courtesy?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I completely agree with you Arks - re: people not even slowing down when they can see you have stopped. While we were watching and waiting for the leopard to show his face again - a couple of cars went flying by! The one time scaring the leopard off - fortunately for us he was persistent about satisfying his appetite for impala! They have no idea what they have just missed! It is most annoying that so many "animal lovers" have no respect for the animals or those who are watching them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for posting the report, Tawny! Great that you had such a fabulous time.

I also spent some time at the Lake Panic hide 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot until it got too crowded. The birding was excellent.

I agree with you and arks about people not slowing down at "small animal" sightings. I had numerous sightings spoiled by other cars. Image

P.S.: I noticed that you also wrote "hyaena cubs" like me. Many other people use the word "pups". I wonder which one is the correct term - if there is any... :hmz:

arks wrote:
The mongooses (or are they mongeese?) were very relaxed and altho they scattered when spooked by a passing SUV (which refused to stop or even to slow down despite my signalling them and I was obviously watching something, much to my surprise they came right back out once the danger had passed.

I often stop where the mongooses disappeared in the grass, switch the engine off and wait. Usually I don't wait more than 20-30 seconds before their little heads start peeking out of the grass. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]