Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 6
 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Bush Baptist Forum Nossob 4x4 Eco trail 2011 (november 2011)
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Well somebody had to start it :tongue:

Just got to get through this day at work and we will be on the way.

The other participants will be doing more or less the same.

Barcud arrived last night, and we are raring to go.....

Post subject: Re: Forum Nossob 4x4 Eco trail 2011
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks guys and gals from BB and me,

we leave in just under an hour.

BB has just tested his traditional weapons on me and I can assure you they work :cry:

OK, I'd better give BB a lift with packing the fire truck....................

A Birder's Eye View of Kruger

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here is how it all started Hope you all have the very best time...

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well here we are... some of us are back from the 2011 Nossob Eco 4x4 trail. Although some of the forumites are STILL in Kgalagadi, feedback will surely soon start to trickle in. I'll set the stage...here is a teaser :twisted: :

Sorry, I had to remove the original music - copyright issues. :cry:

Last edited by WeskusKlong on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:04 am 

I'll try and post pictures some time today - I've had a case of food poisoning to deal with yesterday... Must have been that Chicken Mayo Sandwich at St**rs in Upington... :evil:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Love the video Weskusklong :thumbs_up:

BBand the team got back to Cape Town last night.

All I can say for now is that KTP is

WOW!

The two hunts we witnessed from start to finish were simply breathtaking...................................???

But you will have to wait a while as I need to get home and download the photos :wall: .

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Maybe I must threaten to post a video clip of THE DUNE (Bertha) results if the reports doesn't start rolling in. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It will come Dreamer, it will come... but since I would like to be in sync with the other, and since Bertha happened on day 2, I don't want to jump the gun (for the time being in any way). In any way the results were not what some hoped (and claimed) it would be. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok, Ok.....some of us are still trying to get sand out of our ears........ :think:

Great video WKK - :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So where to start :hmz: ......was thinking of waiting for Scouter et al to join us again....... :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: ........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ........ :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: .......I'm sure you guys won't mind waiting another week or so.......

Last edited by Jo on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Aaa... welcome on board Jo... First night at Swartbas! :dance: This waiting thing is really tiring! I'm starting to feel like KG junior :D .

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
OK, let's roll.

We arrived at 2R at about 4h30, and beat Switchback by about 3 minutes. The drive up was largely uneventful, which is how I like it, except that we could not fit another thing anywhere in the vehicle. Barcud had left his ironing board at home, otherwise he would have had to hold it outside the window...

In the unseasonally chilly pre dawn, KG appeared and told us that he had been summoned to the Kudu awards for Monday night and would not be able to lead the trail until Wednesday morning. I thought that there was a good reason to insist that he was present there, but you never really know.

With the presents dropped off, and feeling a bit deflated, we set off for Nossob where we were to spend 2 nights before the trail, but that will be covered elsewhere.

On Monday morning, we went for a gate-open-time drive, and were ready at the appointed hour of 9h00. As we waited, we met the people behind the forum handles and their companions.

We met the jovial Aubrey, who was to substitute for KG, whose family decided they were going along with or without KG!

With WeskusKlong as the official movie maker, the column set off north towards the trail start near Polentswa.

Now I pass the baton for the next reporter....

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The first bird to be seen out of the gate was a Greater Kestrel and the first mammal a Blue Wildebeest. As we drove up towards Polentswa and the 4 x 4 trail proper, I was searching the ground and skies for birds. "Kori" I shouted, but it turned out to be a fallen log. OK then, it's a Korioakie I said, which had the inside of the bakkie laughing hystericaly for several minutes (or was that groaning I heard???). This set the tone of the trip for the gang in the big red fire truck, which was just as well, as we would need that humour later on when things turned pear shaped for our little group, crammed as we were in BB's bakkie.

Several other species were seen on the way up to Polentswa, with Lanner, Pale Chanting Goshawk, and Bateleur adding to the raptors seen and a solitary Lion at Kwang only twitched an ear as we passed.

We parked in line at the start of the trail and after a quick briefing from Aubrey, we were off.................

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So with the column - yip, 9 cars - moving up to Polentswa, we got a few curious looks from the other road users! At Kwang, we had a distant sighting of a lioness resting under a tree. At this stage, Scouter had caught a wopper of a stomach bug, which her son had had the previous night.......so with Scouter looking very pale round the gills, with her barf-bag held close by, we pulled onto the road that marked the start of the trail......

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It was with great excitement that we left Nossob. Finally the time came that we all planned for. Sure everything did not workout as planned, but hey it is not a perfect world and we can adapt. It was a great pity that KG could not make it on the first 2 days. I find it amusing 'cause I'm sure all the forumites on the Eco voted for him to get the award he deserves, and now he had to go and collect it during the Eco - really funny in a way!

On the up side, I enjoyed Aubrey a lot. He is assisting rangers in all the major camps in Kgalagadi, had lots of stories to tell about his experiences "working lions", as he said. The utmost respect he has for Albert came through clearly.

The group dynamics was interesting. We had participants from all walks of life - not something that will normally contribute to cohesion, but we had a glue that made things kinda work - everyone had a true love for the Kalahari. Some snapped at every bird within a km, others charged every dune as if it was the most important thing in life, and others just chilled. Here's an early shot of the convoy from my viewpoint. There are a few cars behind us as well:

It was hot! Really hot! My Isuzu's temperature gauge hovered around the 40degC mark. Aubrey had us stop for our first morning break:

Thanks for all the kind comments on the teaser. Maybe I must explain my efforts with the video camera. I'm a part time videographer and was looking for moments to capture - to create a production KG may use as he pleases. Maybe a DVD that can run at reception in TR or maybe just something to cherish. We will see what comes out of this and decide then. I'm doing it because I want to, there is no money involved.

At first I wanted to include daily clips on this forum as well, but I have my second thoughts now. Not everybody likes to be videoed, so I will have to choose my material very carefully. I have no desire to offend anybody, so I'm reviewing close on 2 hours of footage to see what to keep and what to delete. However I will post a few clips. Watch this space!

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:40 pm 
Guru
Guru

And along came a lady named BERTHA...........

Quote:
Big Bertha didn't silence anything Dreamer, on the contrary, she opened worm cans.....

She surely opened a can of worms and then everything went silent.

Quote:
Colour has nothing to do with it. Lions are scared of Toyotas

And some Toyotas of Bertha :twisted:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next