Skip to Content

Leopard

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

Bobbi Jane

Re: Leopard

Unread postby Bobbi Jane » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Anne-marie - WOW for those FEW leopard! I only see leopard about once in three years! Going to Kruger every year!
I can't find your TR? Can you show me the way? I am probably looking on the wrong topics/threads!
KNP my HOMELAND 4 eva - never left it!
...."rush of the city" damaging my soul!

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:51 pm

thank you Bobbi :D
I had a lot of chance :D
in fact they are three (for 2011)

this one here in Kruger... with few Leopards :wink:
but beware... this one is very... very loooong... :redface:

... the first one in Kgalagadi... with a superb Cheetah sighting... super :hmz: ... more than super :dance: ... here

and another one in West Coast... much more modest... :wink: here
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Time to relax

"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

ggreensill

Unread postby ggreensill » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:37 am

Vlakvarkvrou wrote:3 "old" photos of a leopard we saw during the cricket weekend in March 2011 : on the H1-1 near the S65 turnoff. I wish I can describe the feeling when such an animal sit next to your car window and make eye contact!!!!

Was browsing through the thread and immediately recognised the leopard in the pictures posted by "vlakvarkvrou".
Was privileged enough to see this male for the first time at about two months old and watched him grow up until he suddenly disappeared towards the end of 2010.
Great to see that he's still alive and doing well. He originates from the south eastern portion of the Sabi Sands and was know as the Jakkalsdraai son.
He was born towards the end of October 2008.
Would like to post of couple of pics of him in his younger days for the forum but as they were taken in the Sabi Sands and not Kruger I'm hesitant to do so.
Maybe one of the MODS could help indicate weather this is allowed or not.
Just another tough day in Africa!!!

ossendryver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ossendryver » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Battle At Kruger : Leopard vs Impala - INCREDIBLE

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBnXFGiKYI0[/video]

Amazing Battle Between A leopard And Its Prey

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:44 pm

:shock: wow :slap:
what a... heart bump :?
both are... a...e (let's the surprise)... but in which state :hmz:

superb to have the nerve to have a picture :clap:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby o-dog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 pm

@ggreensil...muhle tola mfo (even though on the thread) :wink:

I worked there sometime before you...anyways knew the Jakkalsdraai female very well until 2007.
Please put up the pics..obviously cant speak on their behalf but sure they wont mind as it contributes to this thread and makes people aware of how they move to find new territories etc ...this is going to be a nice male - who was the dad?? Tchellehanga (named after a small mostly dry river which flows into the Sand which flows in to the Sabi)
Male couldn't get her pregnant for like a year although we saw them mate on at least 5 separate occasions...then the Beaumont's Male (named after a camp along the Sand River) made a reappearance.
We saw these 2 males 'fighting' over a huge male warthog.
It lasted 3 days and they both fed well and constantly walked shoulder to shoulder salivating and roaring-it was awesome!! - one of my last drives!! .
Since then the Beaumont's Male apparently mated with Jackalsdraai.
Is he the dad do you think??
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

mattmillielibby

Unread postby mattmillielibby » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Extract from our TR The Stewart Clan in Kruger October 2011.
Seen on S130, only car for 40 minutes, then only one other car arrived.

It was now about 8am and Libby was getting very restless wanting breakfast and milk. Matt stopped the car and i climbed into the back, telling Matt he's was going to have to watch both sides for a while until i'd finished feeding Libby. Just as we were about to move off Matt gave me the shock of my life..."LEOPARD RIGHT HERE!!!" We had stopped right next to a sleeping Leopard...and there was no one else around! I could no believe my eyes, i'd been waiting for this for 3 years now, so many missed opportunities, and there he was! Nades was totally right, when i finally did see one, it was going to be amazing!
DSCF1273 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1274 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1279 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1280 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
We sat with him for about 10 minutes, just watching him sleep, roll over, sleep again. Then he got up, had a look around, and came and lay down again...even closer! I still couldn't believe there were no other cars around! I was expecting my first Leopard to be a traffic jam!
DSCF1282 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1283 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1285 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1286 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1293 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1294 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1295 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1298 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
By this time i had tried to contact Mandy and Mark, but i just couldn't hold signal for long enough to tell them what we had seen or where we were! About 40 minutes into our sighting, we heard another car coming, as we saw them we waved them to slow down and they did. We could see the excitement in their car as they saw what we were watching. So, it was just us two for about 10 minutes, then another car began to approach, we waved them to slow down...but they didn't...Matt started flashing his lights but they still didn't slow down. By now, our Leopard was sitting up, looking quite nervous, he really wasn't happy about the approaching car. As they reached us they slammed on the brakes but by this time Mr Leopard was having none of it, and he was up, making a run for it, into the bush and within about a minute he was completely gone.
DSCF1299 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1302 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1304 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
The offending car drove off, clearly angry that they didn't see what they wanted to, although it was totally their own fault, but the other car stopped and thanked us for showing them the Leopard and even apologised for the other cars behaviour!
November 2012 trip
3 Nights Olifants
2 Nights Satara
2 Nights Bergendal
3 Nights Pretoriuskop
1 EXTRA night Skukuza

3 nights sabie river bungalows

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby onewithnature » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:41 am

Lovely leopard sighting, MMM. :clap: These days it amazes me how many people speed up to a sighting, then hit anchors at the last instant, often spitting up dust and usually upsetting the game so much that they leave the scene. I don't remember this prevalence of disregard for animals and other people in the past - it seems to be a manifestation of the stress of modern living and the selfishness of the modern non-nature-lover human!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

ggreensill

Unread postby ggreensill » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 am

ggreensill wrote:
Vlakvarkvrou wrote:3 "old" photos of a leopard we saw during the cricket weekend in March 2011 : on the H1-1 near the S65 turnoff. I wish I can describe the feeling when such an animal sit next to your car window and make eye contact!!!!

Was browsing through the thread and immediately recognised the leopard in the pictures posted by "vlakvarkvrou". Was privileged enough to see this male for the first time at about two months old and watched him grow up until he suddenly disappeared towards the end of 2010.
Great to see that he's still alive and doing well. He originates from the south eastern portion of the Sabi Sands and was know as the Jakkalsdraai son.
He was born towards the end of October 2008. Would like to post of couple of pics of him in his younger days for the forum but as they were taken in the Sabi Sands and not Kruger i'm hesitant to do so.
Maybe one of the MODS could help indicate weather this is allowed or not.

Here are a couple of the photos as promised.
Mods please feel free to delete if deemed inappropriate.
Hope I get to see this young male again, was amazing to watch him grow and mature over two years.
O-Dog the jakkalsdraai female is still doing well last I heard.
She has a new cub now.
The male in question was fathered by the Beaumonts male/Thumbela but can't be 100% sure.

ImageImage

fee

Unread postby fee » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:50 pm

what amazing photos!!! the last one of the cub on its back is just superb.
How lucky you were.
Pity how others can spoil a sighting - what were they in such a hurry for anyway?
I would have told them off!

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Good evening ggreensill,
You have just made my day :dance: :dance:

I never thought when I post the photos of this leopard that somebody will have his "baby photos". What an unbelievable coinsidence :clap: :k

What "marks/features" did you use to identify him?

Thanks again :D :D :D :D

Dan

Unread postby Dan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 am

Hi VVV and ggreensill

I might be wrong but I presume the pattern of the spots on his forehead just above the nose would be used as ID. Each leopards differ, and his is quite obvious, almast looking like a exstra pair of eyes between the eyes? So wonderful to know where he came from VVV, it makes it even more special as a sighting! :cam:

ggreensill

Unread postby ggreensill » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Dan and Vlakvarkvrou. You can use any of the facial spot patterns to identify leopards as they are all unique in some way or form. A lot of people use the spot pattern above the whiskers to identify individuals in a certain area. This young male has a very unique pattern above and below his right eye that makes it easy to identify him.
Was very glad when I saw your post as he suddenly disappeared and we all feared the worst. Will be an amazing leopard to view in Kruger due to his relaxed nature.
I remember following him through the Sand River one morning until I got stuck. When he had moved off I got out the vehicle to find that I had bottomed out. While attempting to dig away some of the Sand under the vehicle I noticed the leopard return. He sat on top of the bank and watched me for about 15 minutes before he finally lost interest and moved off again. He was probably no more than 15-20 meters away.
Onewithnature. I hope you have a wonderful trip blessed with many fabulous sightings. Even though I guided in the Sabi Sands for two years and still spend at least a wekk or more there a month at present I still love Kruger and try to go at least one a year.

leopard74
Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park

Re: Skukuza Sightings

Unread postby leopard74 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:55 pm

This was taken December near the transport Dam turnoff, He was so close to the car that I almost couldn't fit his face into the picture. You'll see my car's door frame in the one pic. :D . Roughly about 200m prior to the leopard sighting, Wild Dogs were resting under trees next to the road, couldn't get nice pics though. The next day there were cheetah sightings and Lion sightings in the same area. So yes, if you're going to Skukuza be sure to visit Transport Dam area. The Lions in my pictures was taken on Maroela Loop, I never miss Maroela loop when going to Skukuza, We've seen brilliant Lion & Wild Dog sightings on this loop.

Last edited by leopard74 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Return to “Mammals”