Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vulture: Lammergeier (Bearded)
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a fantastic photo

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:36 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Fantastic........stunning .............outstanding!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

oh wow, brilliant shot!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:19 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
*Please note I'm ignoring DuQues' post because I was also at Golden Gate and I saw none, nada, niks.* :doh:

Great shot WillemK!
Where was this pic taken, from the hide? :clap: :clap:

OK..... :redface:
Sorry Duuks, nice sighting. Really, really nice sighting! :clap: :clap: :D
{Off to check availability at Mountain Retreat} :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JenB wrote:
*Please note I'm ignoring DuQues' post because I was also at Golden Gate and I saw none, nada, niks.* :doh:

Great shot WillemK!
Where was this pic taken, from the hide? :clap: :clap:

OK..... :redface:
Sorry Duuks, nice sighting. Really, really nice sighting! :clap: :clap: :D
{Off to check availability at Mountain Retreat} :mrgreen:

Hi JenB

Yes, from the hide. We stayed there with a friend of ours for a week-end and had lots of fun.

Post subject: ANOTHER LAMMERGEIER DIES
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Olivia, a young Bearded Vulture that was part of the ongoing Maluti Drakensberg Vulture Tracking Project lead by Ecologist Sonja Krüger, is dead.

What makes the loss of this bird doubly sad is the inspirational alliance with the Tracking Project that took place when Olivia Taylor, now a 15-year-old scholar from Durban, fell under the spell of the plight of our Bearded Vultures as an 11-year-old and committed to raise funds for the project. You can read her story here.

The fund raising efforts were so significant that a young female bearded vulture captured and fitted with a tracking device in August 2009 were later named after this young fundraiser to celebrate her extraordinary achievements and contributions to the Bearded Vulture Tracking project.

At the end of March this year, the team monitoring the movements of the tagged bearded vultures noticed that Olivia has been stationary for a while, which meant that she was either dead or her tracking device had come off. After two failed attempts, a third attempt to retrieve the transmitter carried by Olivia was successfully made in mid May. Olivia’s carcass was brought back to South Africa for an autopsy to determine the cause of her death. X-rays revealed no broken bones or lead fragments that would indicate her having been shot. Because her carcass was in an advanced state of decay, the tests for poison were inconclusive, but to my mind still the most probable cause of death.

In the press release about Olivia’s death, the Project Team expressed the need for quicker reaction to retrieve the carcasses of tagged birds so that the cause of death can be conclusive.

To date, three Breaded Vultures fitted with tracking devices have died from poisoning and one died after colliding with a powerline. Four birds killed out of 17 monitored paints a shocking picture of the mortality rate facing these rare birds.

In the photograph one can see the tracking device still located on Olivia's back. The photograph was taken by one of the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife recovery team members.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:shock: ...very sad!! Thanx for the update though :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
For those 'mites interested in the fate of one of our most vulnerable birds, a 20-minute Bearded Vulture story will be broadcast today on 50/50, SABC 2. 50/50 starts at 19h30.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
So, who saw the program?

I was quite surprised at how dated most of the footage was, albeit pleasant to see professional footage of this magnificent vulture...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:01 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Sorry, those programs are not available for download... :cry: (Which is legal in Holland.)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Another bearded vulture that has been fitted with a tracking device has died. The carcass of Sphinx, an adult female, was retrieved in the northern Drakensberg. It was sent away to a forensic laboratory to determine the cause of death.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
This is disastrous!

Hope they find out the cause of death soon.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
The cause of death for Sphinx was inconclusive. The carcass was just too decomposed for pin pointing the types of poisons expected to be the culprit that caused her death.

On a more exciting note: Another juvenile beardie went on a roadtrip this past week and made a turn over my hometown, Standerton! This is some 200 km off the beaten lammergeier path! Beardies tend to keep to the Drakensberg mountain environment and an event like this is not likely to be picked up by us other than with the tracking technology currently used on 12 of the birds in the 'berg.

Camo's position is represented by the orange dot.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:40 pm 

Hi Johan,

Thanks for sharing this informations with us. It is indeed very interesting come to think that on the 31 March I went searching for Lammergeier near Phuthaditjhaba - Witsieshoek area while one was flying straight along my route back home. Next time when I am driving from the Drakensberg to Secunda via Vrede I will lookout for Lammergeiers. :thumbs_up: It looks as if it also passed around Amersfoort and Wakkerstroom. :dance:

Can you perhaps give us the website where there recordings are updated. At Witsieshoek hotel I have seen a similar map showing the whereabout of Lammergeier and wonder if it is the same program you are running.

We visited the hide at Golden Gate from 28 - 30 March and were a bit unlucky to get good shots from the hide. Overheads, outside the hide, about 20 Cape Vultures circled, but none came down to eat. Only one day we had the luck to see a Lammergeier passing by but it also had no interest in the carcass at the hide.

My question is: Why did all the vultures ignore the cattle carcass and did not came down to eat. The carcass was still solid and not even a jackal wanted to get a bite. Only a few crows were jumping around, but also did not eat much. I am quite curious on the reason. At Giants Castle hide I have witness a whole horse been eaten up within a few hours by vultures, but this carcass remained intact for more than 3 days.

I know the wind plays a large role, because we saw very few vultures landing at Giants Castle when it was windy and on the perfect windless day they came to eat. Could it it be the same reason or do they prefer to eat before the meat goes rotten. This carcass was swollen with stiff legs sticking upwards and quite smelly

I will post some pics later and one of the lammergeier flying pass. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
PRWIN wrote:
Hi Johan,
Can you perhaps give us the website where there recordings are updated.

The tracking program is run by Sonja Kruger, Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife Ecologist for the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park World Heritage Site. The website where the data is captured unfortunately has access for the research team only. I scan the weekly updates emailed to me and post any interesting developments on this SANParks Bearded Vulture thread.

PRWIN wrote:
Why did all the vultures ignore the cattle carcass and did not come down to eat. The carcass was still solid and not even a jackal wanted to get a bite. Only a few crows were jumping around, but also did not eat much. I am quite curious on the reason. At Giants Castle hide I have witness a whole horse been eaten up within a few hours by vultures, but this carcass remained intact for more than 3 days.

I know the wind plays a large role, because we saw very few vultures landing at Giants Castle when it was windy and on the perfect windless day they came to eat. Could it be the same reason or do they prefer to eat before the meat goes rotten. This carcass was swollen with stiff legs sticking upwards and quite smelly

I take it that the main reason for the Cape vultures not landing must have been some difficulty in negotiating the air currents. The state of the carcass would not deter them from settling on it. The sense of smell of all our vultures is poorly developed so that the stench would not put them off.

The Bearded Vulture is a scavenger, living on a diet that is 90% bone marrow. It will drop large bones from a height onto a favourite rock to crack them to get smaller pieces. It is incapable of opening a carcass and for that task it has to depend on the Cape vulture to perform its duty. The Cape vulture is a much larger and stronger bird quite capable of opening up some of the toughest skinned carcasses around. The jackals and the crows are in the same predicament... They too must wait on the Cape vultures to open up the feast.

In essence the Bearded Vulture must wait until all the other animals have eaten before they can get to the bits that contain the marrow.

I hope that answers your question, PRWIN.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next