Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another Day at WCNP, another day of dead animals.
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am 
Another Day at WCNP, another day of dead animals.

I don’t really want to bitch and moan about a topic that has been exhausted on this forum, however, the problem of speeding in WCNP is unique in the fact that almost everyone speeds there, and animals are dying every single day. I have been to most National Parks in SA. I have seen speeding in Kruger, Addo etc, but in these parks, it’s the odd idiot that speeds. At WCNP, people are going to the beach, and the braai spots, or going to waterski, kayak etc, and just want to get there, with no regard for what they are killing.

So, trip report from Saturday. On the way in, we were almost killed by a green modified Opel Astra with a black bumper. This guy was doing well over 100kms, maybe as much as 140kms. He came around a bend, skidded and almost skidded right into us. He obviously thought that the open road with gentle bends must be like some sort of race track or Rally Special stage. (It all happened so fast, no time for number plates)

We had another good day relaxing at Kraalbaai. On the way out came across the usual death on the roads at WCNP, with another 4 dead animals that we saw lying in the road. This is always the case when we go to WCNP. Saturday was the fastest we have seen someone drive, but quite often see guys overtake us like we standing still. We go to the beach there, so we usually drive on 50kms to get to Kraalbaai and 90% of the cars overtake us, of which 60% are doing well over 80kms.

Its summer time again, and time for the carnage in WCNP. Tortoises lying in pieces, flat snakes, dead birds, the story of almost every Visit to WCNP in Summer.

What are we and Sanparks going to do about the situation in WCNP? These animals do not deserve to die in their homes.

Post subject: Re: Another Day at WCNP, another day of dead animals.
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Are there ever any speedtraps in WCNP?...it sounds like they could really boost their coffers with a speedtrap or two.
I must admit I have been to the park many times and dead animals and speedsters are not really what I have experienced. I have seen a dead tortoise in the road but a crow was to blame for that.
Come on SANParks..address this problem of speeding :hmz: ....it seems you could make a whack of money !!!!! :thumbs_up:

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:18 pm 

When I was working with the rangers a year ago I brought this up and they said it was too expensive to get a speed gun, train someone and pay them. They also said the majority of people who are speeding are not South African (how they know this I don't see) and that as they are out the country within a week don't bother to pay.
Now the rangers here are great people and really care for the park and the animals, one was even born here before it was a park, and count many of them as good friends but this issue annoys me so much. Building speed-bumps should be an easy task for these guys and like you said the speed-camera would pay for itself.

Visit my camera trapping site (also filled with other areas of nature photography)
http://cornwallcameratrapping.blogspot.com

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:55 pm 

For the rangers to say - most speeding cars are driven by foreigners who won't pay ...
First, as you say, how do they know.
Second, when we were last there, many of the speeding cars were small bakkies laden with building materials. Most definitely lokal is lekker, speeding to work, and back again on a regular basis.

It is unfortunate that the road is tempting for rally drivers. In a National Park it should have speed bumps and rumble strips and twisty bits. This road seems to be built for access to the military land, and Fisherhaven residents.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi all

Lion Whisperer - thank you for noting your concerns on this forum. We are definitely as concerned as you are about the death of our animals on the park roads and we are investigating new options to curb speeding.

We do have a fining system in place and are going to be embarking on a rigorous communication campaign to spread the word. We are seriously investigating other options such as speed traps and speed bumps.

Thank you again for your support and we hope you will support the communication initiatives by helping to spread the word about the dangers of speeding in a national park.

Thanks and regards

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
When I vist WCNP I drive in the middle of the road at about 50 and don't let the idiots pass. I am very popular. If I see somebody approaching at speed, I point to something and "stray" across the road.

Isn't there some way that the local cops can be encouraged to do the policing. They will make a lot of money.

The main problem is those taking the shortcut to Langebaan, who have squat interest in the NP.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:48 pm 
Guru
Guru

Bush Baptist - your story really put a smile on my face! That is definitely some creative policing and effort on your part - thank you!

I will put your suggestions to the park management - for the mean while - please keep up your enthusiastic efforts - they are extremely helpful to us.

Thank you!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
I know CC, that what I do is probably a bit less than legal, but I can't help it, especially seeing that I have a vehicle that most would try to avoid.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 am 

Hi there CC. Thank you so much for the Feedback. You will have our support for any initiative you have to spread awareness about Speeding.

We have changed our username from LionWhisperer to Leaping Lizards. At the time, my SO thought that the name was cute, but we did not know about Kevin Richardson. So I have deactivated that Username.

CC, thanks so much for replying, it really does make me feel a whole lot better just knowing that Sanparks is, looking at some sort of plan to deal with this problem in WCNP.

I think what upset us was the cobra about 2kms from the gate. It was a large Cobra, maybe 1,5m, in the road. It was still alive with blood from its mouth and trying to get out of the road, but could only move the front part of its body.

Take care and best wishes
LL

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Another fantastic weekend of dead animals on the roads of WCNP :lol:

I had so much fun near the whale lookout, finishing off a large Cape Cobra that was alive but squashed into the road, it really made my day flattening its head with my wheel to make sure it was dead :D :thumbs_up:

Not 3 km away was a lovely squashed Puff Adder...so exciting to see 2 of these beautiful dead snakes. They're so obliging they dont even move off the road.

And to round off my hatrick 100m further on there was a lovely francolin that had been hit so hard that its body was in about 6 pieces.

Another great weekend of viewing and I didnt even mention the small stuff lying on the road :dance:
I would encourage anybody to come to the park at the moment to see these stable sightings :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Some people believe that the only good snake is a dead one - even in THEIR habitat. :wall:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yip...that unfortunately is the mentality of so many speeding through to Langebaan through the park..sickening really!!

Glad to see that a few speed bumps have been put in on the dirt road section near Postberg. They work marvelously !!

Need them on the tar now :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:58 pm 

Maybe a lot of nice, deep potholes will do the trick?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My feeling is that, because there are no "large animals" that may damage your car if you hit them (have they seen what a car looks like that has hit an Eland), the people don't realise that it is still a national park. As you say, it is a thoroughfare for the military or the Churchaven residents, but surely it is in their interest to preserve the beauty they have around them.

We experienced the most speeding by huge trucks with building material, heading around the Postberg area during the flower season, and these are gravel roads where the flying stones can do some serious damage to your car.

Have you tried to take a photo of a double collared Sunbird that has just landed on the top of the bush when whooooosh, an idiot flies past and there goes your lifer!! :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
2 weeks ago I also saw quite a few speedsters, but thankfully no road kill.