Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: staying at Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 am 

We have just returned from a nice 2 night stay at Bontebok. We saw lots of bontebok, rhebok and evern a grey mongoose. None of the elusive 8 mountain zebra though! The roads were not that bad except for a few patches. We just slowed down and drove slower - helps with spotting.

The chalets were great. I do think that they could do with aircon in the wrmer months, as Swellendam can get very hot, but you tend to forget about all of that when you go for a swim in the Breede river. The swimming "hole" was the best part of the trip for me. We made full use of this both days!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Greg

Thank you for your positive message, we are so glad you have enjoyed your stay here 8)
Just remember: There is much more to do and see in Bontebok, like plants (the alloes will be in bloom round about end August) Birds (Denham's Bustard, Southern Black Korhaan, Swee Waxbill, Southern Boubou, to name a few) as well as the other animals you are yet to spot :lol:

We are looking forward to your next visit here ... :whistle:

Bontebok

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:34 am 

came from the States and booked this park because it was on the way to capetown. The park, cabins and small town were all beautiful. We woke up and had to change a flat tire (bad roads and small car) but it was fine since bontebok were about 10 yards away the whole time--pretty much grazing next to the cabin. Also, I believe its cabin 4 that from the porch actually connects the point of the v in the river--so you can see both sides flowing. If you want to get away to read, write, fish or just enjoy the quiet, this place rocks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: kemit, what an awesome post........I agree......We love Bontebok NP - the tranquility and the sense of " being out there", even though the town of Swellendam is just a few Km's away.......soo special.......A small Park that deserves sooo much more!!!

Post subject: Check in and Gate times at Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:06 pm 
Hi there. I was hoping that maybe someone would be able to help my friends.
What time do the gates close at Bontebok National Park, and what is the latest time that they can check in?

They plan to leave CT early in the morning, drive to Hermanus for a few hours, then L Aughalus to see the tip of Africa, then they are hoping to stay the Night at Bontebok.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

Post subject: Re: Check in and Gate times at Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:44 pm 

Hi LionWhisperer,

The gates @Bontebok are open from 7am - 6pm.
I just spoke to a lady at reception there (028 514 2735) and she says that your friends could make arrangements for late arrival, if they do so in advance.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:57 pm 
Hi there Matthys

Thank you so much for the help.
I have passed the information on to them as well as the phone number.

Thanks and best wishes

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:12 pm 

:thumbs_up: Hope your friends enjoy their time there and arrive early enough to experience how special Bontebok Park is, LionWhisperer :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:30 am 

We are going to over the weekend and I was wondering about the pic nic spot called "Die Stroom" for day visitors. Where exactly is it and can you braai there?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am 

Greg, you will find the info that you need in Stoffel's great Bontebok - October 2010 .
See here :
Quote:
Only in the late afternoon we decided to take a short ride in the direction of the day visitor’s area, Die Stroom (The Stream) – upstream in the Breede River from Lang Elsieskraal. To get there you pass the new Reception (still not in use) and conference facilities.

Photos of "Die Stroom" - scroll down this post .

Enjoy your visit to Bontebok ! 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bontebok staff are fantastic. A while ago, we had one of our party that unfortunately only arrived very very late due to circumstances beyond their control - they did phone ahead and alert the Bontebok staff and true to their word, the gate was still open - It's the little things like this that make a Park stand out!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:36 pm 

Hello to all

I have never staid at Bontebok before and would like to visit in November. I like my accommodation, or more specifically my braai facilities, private. Does every cottage have its own braai ? Are there some cottages more private than the rest or how is Bontebok accommodation laid out ?

Thanks for any info.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:06 am 

Each chalet has its own built in braai and the outside area faces away form the chalet next door, so you can't see your neighbours.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:18 am 

We are staying in Stellenbosch and Bontebok has been recommended by people we met yesterday. The reviews look amazing but we can't book! We can see availability for today, but when we try to book we can't :( We really want to stay and will be driving straight past, but it looks like we are going to miss out. This is such a shame - it might be worth getting your website changed to avoid others being disappointed too.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 am 

You can go in as day visitors, which is what we did when we stayed in Swellendam. Once there pop into the office and see if they have any availability.

The phone number listed on the website is +27 28 514 2735. Try phoning, they should be there. Or the email address is bontebok@sanparks.org.

I'll alert the mods to the problem with booking, but with it being the weekend I don't know if there will be anyone available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next