Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Perfect spot
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:33 pm 

Two places come to mind:
1.Crooks Corner with the wide open river ahead, fever tree forest behind you and bird song to calm the soul.
2. End of the Nyala Road looking towards Lanner Gorge surrounded by the stillness of the mountains and seeing raptors patrolling their areas.

Post subject: Re: The Perfect spot
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:42 pm 

I also have 2 spots. There's a clearing in the woods near Gomondwane Dam and Sardelli's Store, just off the H4-2.

And Witsand waterhole off the S99 Mahonie Loop.

Post subject: Re: The best lookout point in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It was always Tshanga in the northern parts of the Park for us as we are fans of Northern Kruger. But after our May visit mainly to the central and southern Kruger regions I am in doubt of my first choice as the H10 drive from Tshokwane to Lower-Sabie has some amazing views.

Post subject: Islands in Time
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MM's topic made me think of this...

We all have special places in Kruger....usually more than one. It could be a vantage point, a hide, a quiet spot beneath a magnificent tree somewhere in the bush or a bench in a camp.

At these places we tend to linger, to allow ourselves to be absorbed into the sound of a gentle breeze through golden grass, the buzzing of cycadas, bird calls both near and far. We become absorbed into the sight of nature, a place at peace with itself. We feel the warmth and savour the clean air. We wish that moments like these would never end but they always do, they may last a minute or an hour but sooner or later we have to move on.

These are islands in time, when our thoughts are free to wander and we are free to simply be.

For me, when the time comes to leave, not just for the day but to go home, I think of the fact that there is no knowing when I will be back at this very spot. I may be back in Kruger within a year but it may be far from this particular place. Sometimes, I return to these much loved places and realise that it has been four, five or more years since I last sat there in silent contemplation.

I look around and see that nothing has changed and I am immediately transported to the last time I was here. At first I am simply delighted and grateful to be back, it seems as if no time at all has passed since I was last here. On realising how much time has passed, I think about where I was in life then and where I am now. I think of loved ones who were just a phonecall away and who I believe are with me now, in spirit. I think of what I have achieved and sitting in this island in time I measure my progress in life. I also then think about the next time I visit this special spot and re-enter this island in time, I do not want to stagnate, I want to look back on what right now still lies ahead and be satisfied that I have moved forward, spiritually, intellectually and professionally. I pray that I will be able to return one day, sooner rather than later, in good health and happiness.

I am sure that I am not alone in this, I have no doubt that these special moments that actually keep us grounded are experienced by you. What have your experiences been? Where are your islands in time? Does each one relate to a different point in your life, with each visit transporting you to a different place in your life, a different perspective?

Your contributions would make interesting reading and open up a new appreciation of Kruger for those who have yet to realise this.

Post subject: Re: Islands in Time
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 am 

Bushmad what an awesome post! It brought tears to my eyes and filled my heart with longing for a little bit of Island Time and that feeling that all is right with the world. Thank you.

Post subject: Scenic spots for photography
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:57 pm 

Hi everybody
I love reading the forum and looking at all the wonderful photos that you guys post. I'm going to to Kruger next weekend and I rented a nice lens from outdoorphoto....so I wanted to ask if you know of some really great spots for photography near Skuks and LS. Obviously I'll try Lake panic ( even though I have never been there in 32 years of going to the park!) and sunset dam....but if there is somewhere that you know of, I would really appreciate it.
This time I'll have my yellow ribbon showing proudly and lookout for some of you when I'm there.
Everytime I go to the park I get so excited that I feel like a child again....my poor SO she just has to deal with it! :k
Cheers
R

Post subject: Re: Scenic spots for photography
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:14 pm 

HI Reynhardt, I presume you are meaning nice view sites?
then apart from Lake Panic which you mention, there is also the Mathekenyane which is on the H1-1 towards the H3, it gives one a beautiful view and shows the sheer size of the park with views into the distance.
Otherwise Sunset Dam,always something interesting to see there, Mhlondozi picnic site and view point another and of course Nkumbe view point up the H10.
I do wish you a wonderful trip. :D