Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm 

Thanks OWN. I phoned them and the line wasn't 100% but sounds like they found a doctor 80km from the gate which I assume is Giyani... Fortunately they seem to have enough pills to last them until they are closer to Phalaborwa in 3 days' time (Letaba).

onewithnature wrote:
pharmacy that will assist with a few tablets without your friends having a script (there are ways they can do this without breaking the law)

I have wondered about this in the past because I myself once obtained it without prescription and I thought maybe I was wrong about the prescription thing... can you elaborate on the "ways they can do this", enlighten us all?

I usually advise overseas visitors to get their stock of pills before they arrive in SA since you have to start taking them before you enter the malaria area anyway, but for the odd situation like this one it will be good to know how it works.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
There may be a few pharmacies that may give pills without a script, but this is not correct according to the law. However, if you already have a doctor you know, and you inform him of the situation, he may (at his discretion) choose to prescribe pills for you. Many pharmacies will accept a faxed prescription from the doctor's rooms for antimalarials. Others will accept a telephonic script from the doctor, usually with the assertion that the doctor follows up with a faxed script later. Understand, though, that telephonic/faxed scripts are only dispensed if the pharmacist chooses to accept this method (he cannot be forced), as an original script in the hand is first prize. However, with the growing methods of telecommunications, faxes have become more acceptable, depending also on the schedule of the medicine.

Hope that gives you some guidance, Wilmaw?

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:54 pm 

Yes.. thanks. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Malarone near Punda Maria?
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:22 pm 

Wilmaw, if your friends are still in Punda, please see a PM from me to you with a message from the Hospitality Manager there.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:28 pm 
:thumbs_up:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:51 am 

Hi OWN, please can you give me some advice with regards to my recent query :
Thanks very much

Quote:
Hello forumites, my adult son is epileptic and we plan to take him to Kruger next February, however, I've always read that people taking anti-convulsants can't take anti-malaria meds. Obviously the risk of contracting malaria in the summer is much higher so am therefore worried. Would be interested to hear from any other forumites who have this same condition and what they do in this case.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 am 
Hi Fruitbat. Sorry I missed your earlier query.

It very much depends on what medicines he is on. Please send me a pm, telling me how old he is, where you will be staying and for how long, all the chronic meds he takes and their dosages, and I'll advise from there. Summer is indeed considered a high risk area in Kruger, so we need to find a way forward.

Remember too that epileptics may also have other triggers (e.g. heat), so don't forget to look at everything holistically.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 am 

Thanks very much for your reply OWN, I have pm'd you.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 am 

I would like to find out if there is a higher risk in some area in the Kruger compare to others? For instance Punda Maria camp compare to Skukuza?

We are visiting the park in mid October 2011. We have never taken anti malaria meds when visiting, just preventative measures. I'm currently pregnant and would like to know if it will help if we stayed more south than north??

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 pm 

Hi CarlaLo

I can't speak to increased risk between the north and the south, but a friend of ours contracted malaria in Punda when we visited last December

Hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:36 pm 
CarlaLo, this might not be what you want to hear but:

The recommendations are that no pregnant woman should put her unborn foetus at risk by entering a high-risk (or even low-risk) malarial area, In other words, if you don't have to go to such an area, DON'T!

The reason for this is that, should you contract malaria, both the disease and the medications used for treating the disease, can harm your child. If I was pregnant - and that is one of the most unlikely events in the universe :wink: - I would not risk it at all. If you had to contract malaria and your baby was harmed as a result, you would never forgive yourself!

The WHOLE of Kruger - from north to south, east to west, southwest to north-east, northwest to south-east - all of the Park is officially a high-risk malarial area from the beginning of October to the end of May. There are slight variations in risk - based on rainfall, heat, the amount of water and/or stagnant pools close by, and other factors - but the risk is universally high throughout Kruger over this time.

Mid-October may still be a lower risk than later in the summer, but this depends mainly on the rainfall, and it is unlikely that rain will not have fallen by then. If you chose to go into Kruger in mid-October, you would be shouldering the responsibility entirely for your foetus.

What you COULD CONSIDER DOING is to stay outside the Park in a suitable area, and then commute daily into the Park. Some areas, relatively close to Kruger, are low-risk areas all year round (such as Hazyview, White River, Nelspruit, Thohoyandou) and the official recommendations are non-drug measures without the official need for antimalarial drugs. However, remember that you are pregnant, so a low-risk area does not mean a no-risk area!

Other areas, such as Sabie and Pilgrim's Rest, have such a low risk of contracting malaria to be deemed non-risk malarial areas. You could stay in a non-risk malarial area during the night and commute to Kruger in the day.

The reason for your relative safety from contracting malaria in such areas is that the female anopheles mosquito - which carries the malaria (the male is useless in this regard :wink: ) - only bites from dusk until dawn, with a peak-biting range usually between dusk and midnight, and again from about an hour before dawn until sunrise.

Therefore, if you were in Kruger between sunrise and a little before dusk, the female anopheles mosquito is not yet active. As long as you drive back to your non-malarial area from Kruger with windows up (that is if it is after dusk), then you should be almost entirely safe from contracting the disease.

[The only times that people who live in a non-malarial area really contract the disease is if a female anopheles mosquito is trapped in their car, clothing, or bags when they entered a malarial area, and she both is a carrier of malaria (not all mosquitoes do) and she bites and infects you. Therefore, these last events appear to be very rare.]

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

Last edited by onewithnature on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Epilepsy and anti-malaria medication
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:00 pm 

Hi

Just thought I would give an update as I know it can be frustrating when people come on to a forum and ask questions then disappear.

In the end we decided to go with Doxycycline and I am pleased to say that none of us including my son who has epilepsy had side effects (there were 4 adults in the party). We returned from a fantastic trip to South Africa on Friday and will continue to take doxy for a further 3 weeks.

I do appreciate that everyone is different however I just wanted to share our experience.

We only saw 2 mosquitos so I do believe it was low risk however I think it is better to be safe than sorry. We used DEET spray in the evening and also wore long trousers, sock and shoes. It was really warm at night which we did not expect and were thankful for the AC.

We stayed in Berg en Dal, Skukuza, Orpen and Oliphants - accommodayion was a little rundown (not much change in the 26 years since we last visited). I felt there was a real apathy with regards to housekeeping. New bed linen wouldn't go a miss. It has to be said that compared to private lodges the rest camps are very affordable and therefore attractive when travelling on a budget. I would certainly use again.

We saw the "Big 5" which was fantastic; we did not think we were going to see a leopard however on our last morning as we were leaving oliphants a leopard crossed the road in front of us; it was amazing! It then disappeared into the bush; there wasn't anyone else on the road we were so lucky.

Thanks again for this forum and all the advice.

Chillx

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:28 pm 

FRUITBAT wrote:
Hi OWN, please can you give me some advice with regards to my recent query :
Thanks very much

Quote:
Hello forumites, my adult son is epileptic and we plan to take him to Kruger next February, however, I've always read that people taking anti-convulsants can't take anti-malaria meds. Obviously the risk of contracting malaria in the summer is much higher so am therefore worried. Would be interested to hear from any other forumites who have this same condition and what they do in this case.

Fruitbat, this post might help.

Post subject: Upset Stomach with Malarone
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:30 pm 

The first time I took Malarone I had no problems but the second time early this year when we visited Kruger was an absolute disaster. I took it in the evenings to give it time to work through my system but still spent most of our precious time in Kruger racing between toilets. :? The stomach cramps were horrendous and there genuinely were times when I would have risked getting eaten to be able to relieve myself. I now read about Doxycyline, does anybody know about upset stomach side effects with this drug? I really cant bear to ruin another holiday like the last one.

Post subject: Re: Upset Stomach with Malarone
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What about taking a valoid at the same time...might help?

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 81  Next