Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 6
 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Story 34 -Oh when the Tusks are marching in..- P56 upd 23/6
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 pm 

Story 34 – Oh when the tusks …. are marching in…oh when the tusks are marching in…

Imagine… you are driving on a small road and you see this coming to you…. Normally just nice and great…. Knowing you can go back …. Till the moment you see two other giants coming from the other side … then what…? Well I was looking for a possible place next to the road behind a bigger bush and was hoping that not all of them liked my car too much
They all three passed this bush without even looking …pfffffffffff…. Back to the road and just before the other two were near we could go again…
These were the gentle giants in front of us… last one is tusker Nshawani..
-
-

-
-

With big pleasure we were singing loudly …. Oh when the tusks,… are marching in…..Oh when then tusks are marching in….lalalaalalaalaa…… :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Buttttt….. Great news for south-africa … a new soccer team has been delivered by Kruger !!!

Big guys…. Heavy weights … with all good qualifications, fast , strong, unbeatable and a goalkeeper covering the whole goal. Even penalty shoots are no problem.

As tusker whisperer I found all these 11 Big Boys during last trip and asked them to join the new soccer team to win the World Championship in 2014. :) :)

Curious ???? :huh: :huh:

Well let’s present the whole team to you :dance: :dance:

Goalkeeper
Nr 1 – NWANEDZI (goalkeeper – from FC Letaba)
-
-

Defense:
Nr 2 – NSHAWANI (defense rigth – from Mopani Rumblers)
-
-

Nr 3 – KALEKA (defense centre left – from Mopani Rumblers)
-
-

Nr 4 – MANDZEMBA (defense centre right – from Shingwedzi Diggers)
-
-

Nr 5 – GIRIVANA (defense left – from Satara Bulls)
-
-

Midfielders:

Nr 6 – NGODZI (midfield right – from Mopani Rumblers)
-
-

Nr 7 – MARHUMBINI (midfield centre (who else…) – from Mopani Rumblers)
-
-

Nr 8 – NKOMBO (midfield left – from Shingwedzi Diggers)
-
-

Coming to the forwards… herefor two famous players are selected and a brand new one

-Nr 9 – TIHONGONYENI (Right forward – from Mopani Rumblers)
-

-Nr 10 – MACHACHULE (Centre forward – from Shingwedzi Diggers)
-

-Nr 11 – MASTHULELE (Left forward – from FC Letaba)
-

I hope you like the presentation of this fabulous team.

With a more serious note… realize that Tuskers (Big and Promising) are more rare in Kruger then most other species qualified as rare, like Cheetah, Painted Dogs, Eland, Roan and Sable antelope etc….
It is a great pleasure to watch this gentle giants, so if you meet one, take your time and enjoy what you see…and don’t forget to make some pictures and if possible post them on the Mammals / Big Tuskers forum.
The number of tusker fans is still growing so just hope to make some new addicts here. :D

For more info and lots of pictures of the Tuskers of Today, the new and promising ones and the Tuskers of yesterday including the famous Magificent 7 are on the tusker website (link is shown in my signature)
Thanks to so many of you I think the tusker site is unique and available for all of us.

If you have interesting pics of any of them new or old black and white from the past don’t hesitate to contact me…

Well… can’t help it to advertise for my big friends

Till next story, with something completely different….

Aat & Elly

Many other pictures of last en other trips:
My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com

Last edited by Aat on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly Story 35 -3 times First Time....- P59 upd 1/7
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:37 pm 

Stories are random, not a day to day report.

Story 35 – (Rare) First time sightings

Heyyyyy all,
Time for new story after Sable, Cheetah (1) and the Tusker parade…. :) :)

All of us have had this… first time sightings of animals you are hoping to see but never happened and then almost always unexpected there they are or there it is….. pounding heart… exited and trying to capture them for yourself and to share with others.

It happened to us 5 times this trip. Animals we have never seen in Kruger but suddenly appeared and showed themselves. :dance: :dance:
Love to take you on tour through Kruger and share what we experienced with 3 of them. The other 2 will follow later. The 3 “First Tmers” I show you here are also rare as far as I could see at the mammals threads, not many sightings or not many posted… well, I like to hear from you if they are rare or not… :huh:

No. 1: Side Striped Jackal

We came from Letaba towards Mopani and just before the juction to the S50 we saw a dead snake on the road… and then suddenly in / from the bush two animals showed up. Looking at them I said…huhhh… :huh: that’s is not a BB Jackal … look at the tail with white end… and his body …different but “who” are they…? :hmz: :hmz:
No time to read a book, no way to surf on the internet…only one solution and that is …photograph them …and later we will see what we have seen.
So…here the pics of them… beauties aren’t they?

-
First one I photographed just made himself visible in the bush
-
-
Second one was on his way to the dead snake and played his game
-
-
What do you do if you see a dead snake and like to show you don’t like it… :tongue:
-
-
Next… you walk around.. asking yourself what can I do with it…. :hmz:
-
-
-
-
and
-
-
After sniffeling he was losing interest and walked back to the bush
-
-
Getting back to the other and both disappeared into the bush…leaving us with a big questionmark…
In Mopani someone who could know confirmed they are Side-Striped Jackal.
-
Last view on them.. :)
-
-
and
-
-

No. 2: African Wild Cat

Early morning, our stay in Mopani has ended so we were heading for Satara.
Since I always come to and leave Mopani by a view at Mooiplaas waterhole I took that road, but this time nothing to see…so we took the small road S49 from Mooiplaas towards the main road.

Slowly driving we saw something crossing the road… :big_eyes: no antelope, not a leopard or anything that looked familiar. Very curious we approached the place where we saw something…still there ?? :huh: Yesssssssssssssss…. And it was a African Wild Cat… never seen. :dance: :dance:
It was still a bit dark so took camera , ISO at high value and hoping…really hoping the AWC stayed where it was… and so lucky… it did :pray:
Pictures are not that good but like to share this special sighting with you.

The AWC was hiding a bit but also looked curious who were looking at her/him ?
-
-
-
-
The cat did not move to much and we did not either…afraid the cat would disappear with starting the engine…
-
-
-
-
-
-
Curiosity was over and the AWC disappeared into the bush… with the high grass no way to follow him/her. The wildcat left us with a wonderful feeling.

No. 3: Liechtenstein Hartebeest

Again Mopani area. We were driving on the “Capricorn Loop” from Mooiplaas waterhole to Tihongonyeni.
What happened ? I saw a tusker at a big distance so parked the car and wait… The tusker was approaching the Tihongonyeni waterhole so had all the time to sit and wait….
In front of us…many zebra, wildebeast and tsessebe… just looking at them… grazy running… some were playing….”I get you” …. Till the moment I was looking and looking again and said to Elly … that’s a strange Tsessebe ..? :huh: Where…? Well… there near that little bush. I said…mhhhh horns are different … almost white “butt”. :hmz: :hmz:
Elly took the guide with animal pictures and said after a few seconds ….That is a Liechenstein Hartebeest !! :big_eyes:
Uhhhh a L.H. ? what is he doing here ? hahahaha…. Elly?, did we ever see one here in Kruger ? No…she said …. Well, I could not remember either having seen one here.

Let’s have a look at him :) :)

-
-
-
-
Some Tsessebe were curious and came closer
-
-
-
-

Left alone again… he was just on his own , no other L.H. around
-
-
-
-

And then he walked away to join a group of Tsessebe and was playing with them heading to the big field behind Tihongonyeni
Just in time…since I came for the tusker and yes I recognized him ..it was Ngodzi shown in previous story.

Well… this was another story about some (rare) First Timers for us…and …all in Mopani area…

I know that many people say/think that Mopani is good for Elephant and Buffalo
Well… during our last two trips we have seen: Roan, Eland, Tsessebe, Liechtenstein Hartebeest, Lions , Leopard, Ch……(ssttttt) African Wild Cat, Side Striped Jackal, next to all big tuskers there.
No doubt …Mopani became one of our favorite places… was our first camp ever in Kruger so maybe that’s why it is special…

Till next story, with the Picasso sequel …?

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 36 -PICASSO the Sequel- P61 upd 9/7
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:56 pm 

Not a day to day TR, stories are based on sightings during our trip

Before I start this story, I like to say thanks to all for getting my 3rd set of kudu horns. :) :)

Story 36 – Picasso (the sequel)

In story 19 I introduced Picasso and friends. They are Painted Dogs , I do prefer this name upon the name African Wilddogs.
For the ones who missed story 19 here’s Picasso (I met him along the S40 in october 2010)
-
-

7 months later May 2011. We were staying in Satara and left the camp early in the morning. We took the main road towards Orpen and planned to have breakfast near Lugmag dam along the S36.
At the junction with the S39 I thought I saw something so decided to turn right. Almost at the same time another car came from Orpen and I was just thinking…that one must have driven very fast to be here already… I was looking at the place I though I saw something and just saw a Cheetah at the right side of that small road and not just that, I also saw a very young cub… well everything went very fast… I was just taking my camera to make pictures when the other car tried to overhaul me going off road through the high grass… We were so shocked and surprised about this action and not just us… the cheetah mother and cub were running across the road and disappeared in the high grass…. Believe me… I never felt that angry in Kruger as that moment. The two “ladies” in that big “bakkie” racing away. They could have killed both cheetah if… How stupid can you be…

It spoiled the moment totally… cheetah gone but alive. I was so shocked I was too late with taking a picture of the car. If I had I would have post it eveywhere , believe me. Thinking of it, it makes me almost angry again.
Well we did not feel like following the S39 anymore and back to the plan… we went to Lugmag dam
We had breakfast and had a wonderful sighting near the Lugmag dam… will tell you about that in another story. After breakfast we headed to the S33 and arrived near Tinhongani dam/waterhole, parked our car under a tree close to the water… and just a few minutes later we both had a big smile on our faces…. There he was… Picasso…7 months later… :dance: :dance:

Well let him tell the story ok…. :)

Hi all, nice to see you again. I am 7 months older now. :roll:
-
-

The first time we met we were closer to Satara and mainly sleeping, well, now we just had breakfast (an impala) and went to the waterhole to have a drink.
-
-
-

-
-

-
-
-
-

-
-

As said we just had breakfast and we don’t spoil anything , just the head of the impala was left and like young dogs we were playing around.
Here a few others of the pack :) :)
-
-
Btw…. Do you know that we are with just about 300 to 350 of us in whole wider kruger?
In the middle of this story I feel like saying a few words about us :rtm:

Once distributed widely across most of Africa, we (Lycaon pictus) have been persecuted by Man to the edge of extinction. The best estimate is that fewer than 5000 Painted Dogs now exist in the wild, and many packs no longer have viable breeding populations. They are dying out. !!
The Painted Dog has been the focus of a major long-term study programme in the Kruger National Park since 1989, sponsored by the Endangered Wildlife Trust.
The Kruger National Park contains the only viable South African population of Painted Dogs. Information and knowledge gained from this study has been used to improve management strategies for the species.

This population has fluctuated significantly during this time ranging from less than 200 animals to approximately 400. Impala, the major prey species of the Painted Dog provide adequate food for adults and their pups.
The Painted Dog is a highly social species that lives in packs. Normally only the alpha male and female breed and other pack members help to raise the pups. The packs inhabit large areas of 400 – 900 square kilometers in the Kruger National Park. Attempts are being made to improve the Wild Dog population in South Africa by introducing the dogs into other reserves and to managing these sub-populations as a single meta-population. Some examples are introducing them in Shamwari and (recently) Tembe Elephant park.

Fast facts

Ø The Wild Dog is South Africa’s most endangered large carnivore.
Ø The total Painted (Wild) Dog population in Africa is only between 3000 – 5000 individuals.
Ø Wild Dogs are considered to be extinct in 23 countries in Africa.
Ø Wild Dogs are particularly susceptible to snares and road kills.
Ø In natural areas the lion is the Painted Dog’s main enemy and competitor.

-
-

The head of the impala was kind of play-tool for us so we took it in our mouths showing it, it was just fun… :lol: :lol:
-
-

-

-

-
-

-
-

We always get thirsty after breakfast but the water in the waterhole is not that safe with crocodiles in it. :big_eyes: We learned to be carefull before drinking… that’s why we were staring to see if everything was safe… :hmz:

-
-

-
-
Carefully getting closer to the water……I was sure there is a crocodile
-
-
With 3 it is better to have a closer look….
-
-
-
and yes… there he is…. The b*****d :evil:
-
-

Crocodile was swimming away and so I could go for a safe drink now :wink:
-
-
-
Mmmmmm that was a nice drink….
-
-

You know that we have a den behind the waterhole ? From here we hunt and play , so that’s why we appear in a wide area … you can see us on the S36, sometimes along the way to Orpen and Satara. If we hunt we can walk for hours without getting tired. :whistle: :whistle:
So after breakfast we walked around the waterhole

-
-
-
-
-
-

Well, thank you for being with us again and hope to see you next time … bye for now :clap: :clap:

-
-

Thanks Picasso and friends…. It was very very nice to see you again this time.
Thinking about that… we have seen you and your family during all trips so far… feeling very lucky and blessed with that.

Hope you liked Picasso’s story . Some bizarre pictures with the impala head in his mouth showing his teeth… but could not resist to share them with you… :roll: :roll:

I also felt saying a bit more about them in the middle of the story… awareness is a good thing to my opinion. :thumbs_up: :tongue:

Till next story, could be about ehhhh …. :hmz: :hmz:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 37 -Sunrise with Lions- P63 upd 21/7
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:06 am 

Story 37 – Sunrise walk with Lions

27th of may 2011. After a good sleep in Satara, our last night there, we packed and left the camp. Sighhhhh… realizing we are on our way to our last camp Crocodile Bridge and our last days in Kruger.
We turned right towards Tshokwane. First we saw a few rhino’s after just 5 minues so not a bad start of the day. It was still a bit dark…first glimses of a rising sun. Driving slowly and suddenly on the road in front of us we saw two lions walking in our direction. Gone with our thoughts about last camp and last few days…. Action ahead and wowwww…. What a sighting. :dance: :dance:
Lions laying down in the high grass was what we had seen so far but two on the road with sunrise … the beautiful light on their body and face give them the golden glue…. :) :)
Well… I can talk a lot more or the sound of silence and enjoy the sighting we had….

Love to take you with us from the beginning till they left the road and disappeared in the high grass.

Two males , one a bit younger then the other
-
-

-
-
What a beauties and so close…no other cars :D
-
-

-
-
Just thinking about the fact we met male lions in previous trips almost at the same spot :hmz:
Close with each other…
-
-

-
-

-
-

Can’s resist to make some close-ups of them… :cam:

-
-

Great to look at their behaviour, so social… looking after each other… what are you doing ? :huh:
-
-

-

-

-
-

Wowww…another good opportunity to make a portrait

-
-

Another fascinating thing is to look how they walk… moving their feet in that special way…

-
-

-
-

-
-

Look at the face of the younger one… so sweet :)

-
-
even a closer look at that…
-
-

Thanks for looking at me guys… nice portraits are always welcome :wink:
-
-

-
-

Well… what shall we do… still a bit sleepy, but yawning might help.. :tongue:

-
-

-
-

Nothing special at the right side … anything at the left side ?

-
-

Decision made… let’s go left to waterhole (along S126)

-
-

-
-

After being with them for about 30 minutes they left the road and disappeared in the high grass

What a start of the day… still being impressed by this sighting I turned on the radio and guess what… Queen’s song starting with… “What a beautiful dayyyyyy…. The sun is shining….” :lol: :lol:

I hope you all have a beautiful day and watching the pictures of these Kings of Kruger give you a nice smile too…. Thanks for being with me again

Will there be a next story ? Ohhhh yesss…. :wink: :wink:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 38 -Fly like an eagle...- P65 upd 30/7
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:38 am 

Story 38 – Fly like an eagle…..

Time for something completely different after antelopes, cats and tuskers. Let’s go and see if we can find our friends flying in the air or sitting in trees looking out for supper.

I made a selection of the feathered friends and hope to have you on board to have a closer look at them.
I need help from you to ID some of them. My conclusion is that tuskers are easier to ID :lol: :lol:

We have had beautiful weather in may this year , only “problem” was the sun-light… in many occasions the low sun was against and made it much more difficult to catch the birds in a good way

Let’s start with this one
-
-

You see them all over the place but I liked this couple sitting in a tree
-
-

Always an attraction because of the beautiful colours this “Berghaan” or Bateleur Eagle :)
-
-

One of my favorite raptors is the Martial Eagle , later on an even better view on him :wink:
-
-

Nice view on this eagle (Tawny ?)
-
-

-
-

Next to the raptors the colour-full little ones are too beautiful to ignore…this one was asking for a shot…. :cam:
-
-

Near the low water bridge , just outside Shingwedzi this couple was sitting and posing in the sunset light

-
-

-
-
and

-

Young bateleur eagle enjoying the sun along the Red Rock route…
-
-

Having lunch in Mopani…sitting outside and in full flight this one was a challenge to capture
-
-

One of the Secretary birds we have seen…this one not too far and not too fast… pffff they can run …like speedy conzales :doh:
-
-

The lappet faced vulture does not appear every day and even if you see them , most of the time in the middle of a group of other vultures… this one in a tree close to Mopani
-
-
-
-
-
-

Along the Capricorn Loop Corry :) :) (Kori Bustard) suddenly appears , finally a good chance to make a portrait
-
-

And another Secretary Bird crossed our path close to Mooiplaas waterhole :dance:
-
-

-
-

And yes… one of our best sightings ever of a Martial Eagle… :big_eyes: my favorite one…did he hear me ? :whistle: He was just about 5 meters away in the bush just next to a little road… impressive bird , specially so close to us
-
-

And this one… not cropped but full picture of him.. :) :)

-
-

The crested barbet (name sounds familiar to me… :wink: ) also very very close on a little rock
-
-

-
-

The most beautiful vulture (to my opinion) was posing nicely.

-
-

-
-

Getting back to Satara the Scopps Owl was waiting near the parking
-
-

This Bateleur Eagle was also at short distance , liked the way he was looking around and light and position were good this time so camera and click…
-
-

-
-

No….not a martial eagle whisperer but this younger one is a beauty. Several trips we did not see them or just far away , this trip they were very friendly for us.
-
-

Ground Hornbill ?? Seen a number of them but mainly next to the road or on the road , this couple was so friendly to sit together for a nice shot.
-
-

I hope I am right with this couple in a nest. Tawny Eagles ? Along the S39 they just landed and on the radio we heard the song “Fly like an eagle….” Couldn’t be better timing …
-
-

Not being a birder (stiffneck) I had to stretch from the car-window to capture this (crowned eagle ?). 8)
-
-

Almost coming to the end…. on our last day in kruger we found some Black Storks…. I think they are not that common so tried to make some nice shots …

-
-

-
-

Like with most other animals not really a story but a tour through Kruger with small and bigger birds.
Next story…. No secret this time … will be about ARNO’s family. Easy to guess for the ones who have read the first story about ARNO….

Thanks for being with us again :) :)

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Re: Aat&Elly Story 38 -Fly like an Eagle....- P65 upd 30
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

A bird ID challenge on TR :dance: I'll give it a shot, although I'm by no means an expert and stand to be corrected. Assuming you want IDs on those birds you haven't named yourself I numbered them through in the order you posted them.

1 Brown snake-eagle
2 Yellow-billed hornbills
5 and 6 Tawny
7 Lilac-breasted roller
8 to 10 Saddle-billed stork
12 Marabou stork
24 and 25 White-faced vulture
29 Martial immature / juvenile
30 Ground hornbill
31 Tawnies
32 Martial

Great shots all around!!! Thanks for this bird episode. :thumbs_up:

Now awaiting that Anro... :whistle:

Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 39 -ARNO, RONA, NORA e.a.- page 67 upd 6/8
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:25 am 

Story 39 – ARNO, RONA, NORA, RANO and …

After Birds, Lions, Painted Dogs it’s time to go back to one of my favorite areas … Mopani :)

Like with HUMBI (Story 32 about Tuskers) and Picasso (story 36 about Painted Dogs) this is the 3rd sequel of our trip in may 2011 :whistle:

I introduced ARNO in story 7 about the rare ROAN Antelope
A flashback …. :cam:
-
This is me ARNO
-
That was in 2010 and I was so happy to see Aat and Elly again this year in may. :)
So a good opportunity to show some other family members in my beloved Mopani area.

Aat and Elly whispered to me that they were happy to see me again. It was their 5th day in Kruger so that was great to meet already.

How are you doing they asked me… well , up’s and down’s like in the humans world I guess.
I lost my younger brother, that was sad… but not in a very bad way, he started his own family after falling in love with NORA. They have two kids RONA and RANO. :dance:

You are a bit lucky since they are in the Nwashu area most of the time and not always visible.
Here they are, a bit far but a nice view on them. I feel happy for my brother although I have to walk and graze on my own now, feeling a bit lonely… :(

Let’s have a look at them
My brother
-
-

My brother with the kids Rona and Rano
-
-

My brother with his wife Nora and daughter Rona
-
-

The whole family together :) :)
-
-

So the end of a beautiful day, it made me happy again. :D :D
Two days later ….

Close to Mooiplaas windmill / waterhole I was just thinking about where to go. I heard some rumours about two Cheetah’s in the area :big_eyes: and I am a bit worried for my brothers family. Think I am going to warn them… so on the search
-
-
and
-
-

One day later ….

I am still going through the area hoping to find my brother. Now approaching the Tihongonyeni waterhole. After a walk from Mooiplaas I am getting thirsty but this macho Wildebeast does not like me too much I guess… :shock:
-
-
and
-
-

Later that day ….
-
I like it very much here. No problems anymore and it’s a funny place here at Tihongonyeni.
So many nice animals around, zebra, wildebeast, tsessebe and many tuskers protecting us ( I hope…) :pray:

Aat and Elly were asking me to pose a bit for photo’s. They promised me to be on the internet where many humans can see me… Well, that makes me proud, so here I am for you. :redface:
-
-

-
-

-
-
and last shot here… hahahaha… so you can see how I drink
-
-

A few days later …
I was just on my way to the Nshawu area when I suddenly smelled other Roan’s :dance:

Before they are with me I like to tell you a bit more about us ROAN Antelope..

About out habitat:
Roan Antelope are commonly found in areas of lightly wooded savanna and tall grass.

About our Habits:
Roan associate in herds of up to 20 individuals with a very characteristic social structure. Amongst the females, the more dominant is the leader. There is only one adult bull in each herd, the juvenile males being evicted at the age of about 3 years. All the female calves remain within the herd, that , when too big, divides into smaller groups of cows and their young. These groups will form new herds, once again with only one adult bull.
The young males evicted from the herd, associate in "bachelor groups" of up to 12 individuals. Amongst these, the most dominant is the first one in line to join a new group of females, very seldom, on their fights for supremacy, inflicting body harm to their contenders.
Roan Antelope are very courageous animals. If threatened by predators, including Lion, they will confront them, and many of these big cats have perished, gored by the scimitar-shaped horns of Roans.
Adults attain a mass of up to 270Kg. and can live to about 15 years.

About breeding:
The Roan cow, one or two weeks before giving birth, will leave the herd and choose a secluded spot where she will stay until the calf is born.
During the first 4 or 5 weeks, the calf will hide in a clump of grass for most of the day, while the mother rejoins the herd, returning to her young at sunset and staying with him for the night.
One single calf is born after a gestation period of about 9 months. Cows have their first calf at 3 years of age, and conceive again after about 6 weeks of giving birth.

Back to my family… coming closer now :wink:

It was not my brother’s family but a larger group “owned” by my uncle
I asked him about my brother and he told me that they are still in Nshawu area , hiding in the very long grass. That made me very happy and even more when I saw Aat and Elly arriving.
So I asked him if he also was interested to make photo’s of my uncle’s family
He said it was an honour to do that…. After some small talk with my uncle he promised to shown his family for a while.

Here they are … and enjoy :) :)
His wife with two kids
-
-

-
-
Nice ears ehhh… :lol: :lol: :lol:
-
-

-
-

Some of my cousins ..
-
-

-
-

-
-

My uncle :)
-
-
and some other members of the family
-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-
and finally aunty and her kid
-
-

Thanks ARNO, we were impressed by meeting you again and felt sad to leave the area. :(
Hope to see you a next time…who knows…? :hmz:

This is the end of this story. Looking again at the pictures makes me smile… how nice this was within about 5 days Mopani. The whole group just for ourselves that day, coming out of the thick bush…showing themselves so nicely and calm and again disappearing in the thick bush and high grass…

Another big moment in a still hotel-free Kruger ! Let’s keep it that way :pray: :pray:

Next story ? I know … you wait and see … :tongue: :tongue:

Thanks for being with us on Roan tour :thumbs_up:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Re: Aat&Elly Story 39 -ARNO, RONA, NORA e.a.- page 67 upd 6/
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 pm 

Bushbuddies
I am sure you will find them , or better they find you. Most special sightings are unexpected.
It is always a kind of thrill driving around slowly and suddenly eye to eye with antelopes like Roan. It makes your day. We also had a good laugh about the big ears :lol: :lol:
A fact is that driving slowly is best thing to do... I remember we saw the Roan far away in the Nshawu area where other cars were racing (why...???) on the dirtroads and missed all.

"]Aat - how nice of the Roans to show themselves again. I am still to meet any of the family in KNP... Hopefully they will reveal themselves to me one day... :pray: In the meanwhile - I enjoy the pics you brought us all! The little ones with their big ears look a lot like donkeys... :lol:[/quote]

Post subject: Re: Aat&Elly Story 39 -ARNO, RONA, NORA e.a.- page 67 upd 6/
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:26 pm 

@ ALL

A bit of a delay for next story.

It has been really busy with Tusker entries / submissions and requests for ID.

I also changed a few things at my tusker site
- Front page with a (I think) better overview of the different sections including last updates etc
- Tuskers o Today is now a combination of the original Tuskers of Today and the New & Promising ones
They are all together now on one page for ID and seperated in 3 parts (North, Central and South Kruger) I think :think: it makes it easier for you for trying to ID the tuskers you have seen.

Link to Tuskers of Today:
http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/tskmain/tuskersknp.htm

Link to front page is down here

Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 40 -So Cute they are - page 69 upd 14/8
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 pm 

Story 40 – So Cute.. BUSHBABIES (for women only)

Another story and today it is a about a small lovely, cute, beautiful baby of the bush.

When the night falls over Kruger, the Braai’s giving their last puffss and heath and lights go out in the huts the Babe’s of the Bush wake up to find food and to play.

It’s night in Crocodile Bridge… all neighbours went to bed and we were still enjoying the night… listening to the sound of a passing elephant, the sound of the hippo’s in the river, the sound of some birds sleeping in the trees. And then suddenly, while almost dreaming away after finishing a nice bottle of wine “something” almost jumped at Elly’s shoulder. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Huhhhhhhh what was that…. ?? :hmz: :hmz:

Some noise closeby, standing up and shining around with my torch. Yesss… we saw some small animals jumping around very quickly. One was sitting down so finally we could recognize that animals it is. BUSHBABY

Realizing we never saw one in Kruger. Within a minute I got my camera, buttons in right position, flash ready and then whispering and walking very very slowly closer to them near the fence where they were sitting on the ground and in the trees…

Even at night I had to work with the camera …. :wink: :wink:

Well, I invite you to join me with this very very unexpected sighing.
-
First one was sitting on the ground at a distance of maybe 5 meters.
-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

Then this lovely cute one jumped into a tree :)
-
-

Since we never saw Bushbabies in kruger (except one in Satara near the reception) it was exiting to watch them.
We have been many times in Crocodile Bridge but never saw them before.

After the "lesser" ones have gone , a bit later some thick tailed Bushbabies appeared near the fence.

Standing still as a sculpture, sound of camera off, quickly changing my flashcard and waiting what was going to happen.
They decided to give a little show. :dance:

In the trees just outside the fence they felt safe. Time to make some more shots of them.

-
-
and
-
-

Another one decided to show up to be caught on camera… :cam:

-
-

One of them, in the trees I counted about 5 of them but some were not in range of my flash to get good shots, was very curious and was watching who/what was watching him (or her).

-
-

-
-

Bushbaby ..bushbay …lalalala… almost singing while watching… :dance:
Curious…? The Cute one was really staring now.

-
-

-
-

-
-

and last shot before they moved on further away.

-
-

Getting interested to know a bit more about them ? :rtm:

Thick tailed Bushbaby - Appearance
The thick-tailed bushbaby is the largest galago species. Head and body length ranges from 297 to 373mm, and tail length, from 415 to 473mm. Body size is sexually dimorphic with males being significantly larger than females.
The coloration of the fur is silvery brown to gray with the underside usually lighter in colour. The fur is dense, woolly, quite long, wavy, and usually described as without luster. They often furl and unfurl their ears giving them a quizzical expression. The eyes are forward pointing and large.
As with most galago species, there are flat disks of thickened skin at the ends of the fingers and toes useful in grasping limbs. The fingers are long, and the toes are flattened with flattened nails.

Diet
Thick-tailed bushbabies are mostly gumivorous and frugivorous, they are known to eat insects as well. In a study in South Africa, approximately 62% of their diet was gums, supplemented by fruits and insects. Thick tailed bushbabies varies with locality.
In Gauteng, South Africa, insects were estimated to comprise 5% of the diet, while in Kenya insects may account for 50-70% of the diet. One insect that may serve as a seasonal food supply is the large termite, Macrotermes falcigar. When these termites are in the alate (winged) form, thick-tailed bushbabies have been observed eating them off the ground without using the hands. Generally their diet includes, insects, fruit, leaves, flowers, lizards, eggs and birds.

Breeding
The birth season of the thick-tailed bushbaby varies according to locality. It is restricted to November in the Gauteng and occurs in August and September in Zambia. Pregancies peak in August in Zanzibar and Pemba. The female estrous cycle lasts approximately 44 days. Gestation is 133 days.
Litter size is generally 2 individuals but can be 3. Females reach sexual maturity at 2 years of age. After birth, females will leave their young in the tree while they leave to forage. They produce a rich energy-dense milk especially in comparison with anthropoid primates. This may be related to their lifestyle as anthropoid primates carry their young during lactation and this galago does not.
This species gives birth once a year, when vegetation is thick. Although in captivity it has been reported that this species has continuous estrus cycles, thus being able to give birth all year and not have a birth season. Nests are made in the tangles of vegetation.
One infant is born at a time for this species with twins being rare. Young are weaned at the beginning of the driest season. Infants become independent from their mothers between the fourth and fifth weeks of life. Both sexes reach maturity at about 20 months of age.

Behaviour
This is the most social of all known bushbabies. This species, unlike other galagines, moves quadrupedally through the forest and bush. When this species jumps, it lands with hindlimbs first. When it has to move on the ground in open spaces between the canopy, this species will hop.

They are active for an average of nine and a half hours a day during summer and twelve hours a day during the winter. This is a nocturnal species, with both sexes dispersing from the birth territory. Males will disperse further and at a younger age than females, so male membership in a given population changes more than females.

Males may disperse further than females so as to reduce the complications from inbreeding. Males and females have ranges that do not overlap with same-age individuals, but do share ranges with younger or older individuals. Males have home ranges that overlap one or more females. This species has a promiscuous mating system.

Thick tailed bushbaby shows a social network without the structure of a foraging group. Females are dominant in this species. Adult males were found to follow adult females more in captivity than females followed males. Females also in captivity were found to act aggressively towards males.

Social play in thick-tailed bushbabies consists of exaggerated walk, chasing, tail pulling, wrestling, non-aggressive biting, and pouncing. In infants these play behavioural patterns are found on the first day of life. Infants play more when they develop independence from their mothers during the fourth and fifth weeks of life.

They sleep in nests that are 5-12 meters off the ground. thick tailed bushbaby sleep together during the day, but split up at night to forage. They have been found to move up to one kilometre through the night. They live in small groups of 2-6 individuals.

The composition of this group varies. It could be an adult pair with young, two adult females with young, or one adult female with young. The adult males are territorial and they seek home ranges that overlap several female home ranges. Thick-tailed bushbabies take their hands and cup them, and then deposits urine on them.

Next they take that urine and spread it on the soles of the feet. When it walks, it leaves a little bit of urine on the substrate. Males urine-wash more frequently than females do, and when the female is in estrus, the male will deposit the urine directly upon the female, but all age classes perform this behaviour. A thick tailed bushbaby will urine-wash when foraging in a new area, looking at a strange object, during aggressive encounters, and social grooming. This behaviour occurs more frequently in dominant individuals.

Where they are found
Thick tailed bushbabies are found in the countries of Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, and on the islands of Zanzibar. This species lives in highland and coastal forests. This species also lives in riverine forests. The thick-tailed galago, or bushbaby, is found in East Africa from southern Sudan to eastern South Africa and through southern Angola.
Prior to 1974 only six species were recognized, but by 1995 research has shown that in fact 17 species warrant recognition in Africa. As more of Africa’s forests are being scientifically explored and as scientific technology improves, the discovery of more new species is likely to continue.

Ok… also this story # 40 has come to an end.

I promised the animals in Kruger to not just show the big ones, the dotted or striped ones, not just the kings of the bush but also the smaller and cute ones.

So ladies, (since this was only for women) I hope liked it. :k

Next story ? Could be about “Elegance & Beauty” :whistle: :whistle:

Thanks again for being on board

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Aat on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 41 -Elegance & Gracefully- page 71 upd 23/8
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:28 pm 

Story 41 – Gracefully, Elegance & Beauty

(a bit sorry for some delay but some tuskermites spoiled me with lots of ID-requests and tusker pics to fill the tusker site a bit more)

Going through my pictures of last trip I found some series I really like to share with you.
It is a story about the most elegant animals in Kruger.
After selection and selection I decided to put the next series of pictures in this story to tell you about how they are, eat, care, love, drink and socialize.

So jump in the car and go with me through Kruger and enjoy the beauty. :) :)
No rare animals or cats this time but long legs and stripes.

In the northern part of kruger with a beautiful sunset this one came closer and it was just waiting till he crosses the road.
-
-
Standing still and posing in the golden light
-
-

Another day another location this beauty suddenly made his appearance.
Beautiful contrasts in his colours.
-
-
Standing still and posing in the golden light
-
-

Curious ? :hmz: :hmz:
Are they curious…yes ! With open window to photograph him he was so curious about that strange thing in my hands and came closer and closer. Without cropping this was the result.
-
-
A few seconds later he still was “thinking” … what was that ?
-
-

Going from Satara to Tshokwane we passed one of the waterholes and wowwww… :dance: :dance:
Watching a zebra is nice, a few or little group is better… but a very large group like this was breathtaking. Looking at some of the pictures it almost was like looking at a painting with the zebra and background.

-
-

-
-
-
This is Africa… lonely wildebeast and some impala to make the scene complete
-
-
Nicely together drinking and playing
-
-
-
-
-
-

The Giraffe were thinking… what you can we can…just a bit different with the long long legs
-
To show the two postions they take for drinking , caught in one shot, look at the diffrence of their front legs
-
-
Location .. one of my favorite waterholes … Girivana near Satara.
-

Let the pictures speak about gracefully, elegance and socialize
-
-
Ladies…take care if you go for a drink.. :naughty:
-
-

-
-
-
-

-
-

I could not catch them all in one shot. There were 16 of them together. Think I did not see that many in one sighting before. When they left they split into two groups so I think it were 2 families just together for drinking and “smooth talk”
-
-
-
-
-
-

We all know how they eat, but really seeing them doing it is a second thing. I was lucky with this one posing for me at very short distance…
First a look like “who are you…?” :hmz: :hmz:
-
-
then going on with eating … what a tongue… :tongue: :tongue:

-
-

How about Love….
-
We saw a small family along the S36 and love was in the air..
Everybody who has seen this kind of scenes about teasing and saying to each other…”I think I like you” will not forget that.
Getting closer to each other… speaking eyes… they gracious movements with the necks.. it is just beautiful and breathtaking…

I like you … Julia… :gflower:
-
-

Like you too Romeo :redface:
-
-

Will you marry me ..? please say yes… :k :k

-
-

Yessssssss Romeo, let’s dance to show the others we are a couple…. :dance: :dance:

-
-

-
-

Another story ending here.
It was a pleasure to have you on board again. Preparing the pictures was a joy. Remembering the scenes and the beauty of it.
Background was still great …I really must not think about a hotel as background anywhere in Kruger. Hmmm this just came in my mind

Next story ? Yes there will be more… :whistle: :whistle:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Story 42 -Hunting Cheetah and Lion- page 73 upd 2/9
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:41 pm 

Story 42 – Hunting Cheetah and Lion

Driving around or sitting in your car somewhere and almost being part of hunting cats.
Think we all like it. We were lucky with this kind of situations and like to share two small stories about this.

First story is about Cheetah.

We were driving from Lower Sabie towards Tshokwane for a nice breakfast. Getting close to Muntshe hills we spotted something. What was it… , we stopped the car to have a better look. Yessss…two cheetah on a rock (mmm chetaah’s on the rocks…sounds like a good cocktail).
It was far away but good visible…they were in hunting mode…looking around for breakfast.

We take you with us to see what we saw…so have a look to the right and enjoy :) :)

-
-

-
-

-
-

What a great view…kruger background and these two cheetah together…life can be beautiful.
The grass was very high so difficult to follow them walking through the grass.
We could see that they spotted something because of their way of walking.... towards us …very nice decision cheetah ! :dance:

-
-

We were looking around and saw a group of Kudu’s at the other side of the road… but… cheetah’s hunting Kudu’s…must be a mistake… :hmz: :hmz: allthough there were some younsters so that could have been the reason.
For us a good decision since they were about to cross the road just in fromt of us. :clap: :clap:

-
-

Look at the face… focussed and concentration…

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

As said , Kudu’s at the other side…

-
-

-
-

Because of the high grass we could not really follow the cheetah’s but after some seconds we saw the Kudu’s running away, leaving the disappointed Cheetah’s behind

Second story is about 4 lions and a buffalo bull.

Another day of our trip… our last full day in kruger and once again we followed the H10 from Lower Sabie to Tshokwane…why not… :) :wink:

This time we saw a lion walking in the high grass… and standing still and looking around we saw 3 more young males… sometimes just the head, sometimes just almost nothing…
They were in hunting mode too…could see that by their way of walking…but…the zebra’s a bit further run away quickly so they started looking around again.

Let’s meet the first one in the high grass…

-
-

-
-

A bit suddenly another one came from the other side of the road so we got a better look then just a head in the grass. :D :D

-
-

A third one just came from behind a little bush

-
-

Based on instinct they moved forward , heading to a buffalo bull. We could see the buffalo, just enjoying the morning and the grass….not aware of anything around him.

The lions came closer and closer to the bull…Elly said…no…I don’t want to see this …poor buffalo… my heart was pounding… a real hunt ? a kill ? or what… was going to happen? :hmz: :hmz: . I was just thinking…these young lions fighting a buffalo bull…too much for them ? :naughty: :naughty:

-
-

-
-

Oh my…. Buffalo still not aware of the danger and one of the lions so close… almost feeling to warn the buffalo…but you just don’t….

-
-

getting closer and closer… buffalo still not feeling , smelling anything ??? :doh: :doh:

-
-

Then…. Attack by lion but….wowwwwwwwwwwww buffalo stretching his body and kicked both legs in the air….

-
-

Lion off…. Disappointment in his eyes… 1-0 for buffalo…
Buffalo just turning around to see what was behind him…

-
-

Not over yet…. Since another lion came from the other side…. And tried to jump on his back..

-
-

Buffalo just far to strong and kicked this one from his back and started to run…. Believe me…I have never seen a buffalo running that fast… I think he run to Skukuza without stopping
2-0 for buffalo… :thumbs_up:

And the 4 lions ….? Unbelieve…. Disappointment…. :? :( You could see the body language… “we lions… one buffalo… what did we do wrong…???”

Well, they started to socialize, counting teeth and legs … no one hurt…but…. They needed each other to realize that being a lion does not mean you can win all battles… they learned a lesson :rtm: ..I am sure.

-
-

-
-

-
-

Hope you did feel a bit of the tense we had… action is so nice to watch… and with kind of happy ending for the Kudu’s and Buffalo this time.

Cheetah’s learned that Kudu’s are too big for them, Lions were growing up with this lesson..

Thanks for sitting with us on front seats…
This was our second Cheetah sighting and yesss…best one (ever) still to come … :wink: :wink: :whistle:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Aat &Elly Story 43 -Leopards and Leopards - p 75 upd 14/9
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 am 

Story 43 – Leopards and Leopards

Looking at the pictures of our last trip and specially to the pictures of the leopard sightings I think I can show how many of us experience Leopard sightings. Sometimes suddenly appearing and disappearing, sometimes sleeping in a tree, sometimes just a bit too far, sometimes awesome with a good view and sometimes you can see him/her but not that well, hidden in the bush or high grass. Having said this we also recognize people searching “desperately” for leopards, asking everywhere if you have seen them.

Well, last trip we experienced almost all these situations and maybe a nice idea to show exactly all these kind of sightings. :)

If you are just in kruger, second day, and starting a drive with a leopard with kill in a tree is wonderful. Even when this is at larger distance and we had to use bicoculars and trying to capture it with a 400mm lens with full zoom. :cam:

It was our second day in kruger, early morning driving the S118/S119. A movement in a tree and there he was with a kill, our first leopard this trip. :dance:

-
-

-
-

Very exited at that moment after a first (half day) with Sable and starting first full day with a leopard and I remember I was talking to that leopard…”why not closer to the road , why so far ?” but sure, very very happy to see him there. :D :D
And not knowing at that moment that a few hours later we found 3 cheetah’s along the S28 at just some meters distance. (all about that in story 33)

Coming to day 3 of our trip…. We were driving on the H4-1 from Lower Sabie to Skukuza and saw 2 cars on a small bridge. As we all do ( I guess) we stopped and woowwwww… a leopard like you really to see, good view , not too busy and this time not in a tree but relaxing on the sandy part of that little (dry) riverbed.

I could make a nice series of photo’s for some time. We were lucky to have a good look at him. In just a few minutes cars came from out of nothing and soon it was crowded…with typical behaviour of fightings for a spot including the “tourist vehicles” spoiling the view of others without any respect. One of the reasons I like the northern part of kruger …. :) :) :)

But, coming back to the sighting … be with us and enjoy this cats behaviour for some time… Looking at him I had to think about my cats at home…. Funny seeing him do a “cat-wash” , stretching and watching the area at the same time.

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

Then… believe it or not , but at that moment a man left his car with a camera and walked almost near that little bridge, about maybe 25 meters from the leopard. I could not believe it … how stupid one can be . :big_eyes: :doh: :doh: I remember I was shouting something to him (I better not repeat that here) , result …he walked back to his car and I saw his wife saying some very friendly words to him … :k :lol: :lol:

This picture show the “interest” of the leopard at that very moment…

-
-

After this the leopard continued with relaxing , chilling , sleeping etc

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

Since he was looking in the right direction… I asked him friendly … a few shots more with his beautiful eyes looking so friendly like my own cat (shadow) does… :wink:

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

After this great sighting we went to Skukuza and later we went back for out last night in Berg en Dal before we moved to Letaba.

Just before the turn-ff to Berg en Dal a few cars were along the road and camera’s pointed at a tree near the junction.
Guess what…. Yes….another leopard , this time sleeping ..and sleeping …and sleeping….no movement at all, so before you feel sleepy too, just two pictures of this leopard. Number 3 in two and half day kruger. :)

-
-

-
-

As said we moved to the north with a rich catch of tuskers (my favorites) , but always nice to have some cats at the side :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skipping many days before we met number 4. In one of my stories I told you about some ladies you tried to push me from the road while a cheetah mother and cub were just in front of our car. My mood was that bad I decided not to go after that car but to be wise and taking another tour. We were driving the S36 and near Lugmag dam suddenly a leopard crossed the road , just in front of us. :big_eyes:
Procedure … stop…watch…camera and action…. Just in time before he moved into the high grass.
A real beauty but did not give us much time to look ...so it was like a flash…

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

Number 5 was typical the leopard you can see but that’s it… waiting 45 minutes if he was moving toward us or…?
No…he did not… :( after that 45 minutes mr leopard decided to move the other side , disappearing in the bush. Other people around were very exited since it was the first leopard they saw after many years of no show… even just the head and a part of his body was visible… Then you realize again that you were lucky to see one instead of being disappointed he did not show himself that well… think you know what I mean. :hmz:

Stories must have happy endings and so it happed next day. Making a tour from Lower Sabie to Tshokwane and from there to Skukuza we were on the H1-2 , close to Silolweni waterhole and found this leopard in tree. Number 6 this trip and what a beauty. Nicely posing in the tree and good visible.
I could make a nice series of pictures and will show a selection of it.

-
-

-
-

yesss… yawning is allowed with camera pointing to you ….

-
-

We took another position to have a better view , a few meters forward and closer to the leopard.

-
-

-
-

Sometimes you have this feeling like you can stay a long long time with a leopard… waiting for moments he will move or come down from the tree or triggered by passing “lunch”. While waiting a few more shots of him

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

I hope you liked this story about Leopard sightings … how different they can be, but always exitement to see one. What makes us having this exitement, pounding heart and / or thrills with the big cats..? I don;t know but I like them.

Thanks for being with us again

Are we kruger addicts ? Thinks so… Elly will turn 50 in december (10th) and because I turned 50 in kruger we decided to celebrate her birthday in kruger too… so from november 25 till december 15th we are in paradise again. :dance: :dance: :dance: Celebration day december 10th we are in Satara so if you are in the area , have a drink with us. :tongue: :tongue:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 44 -A Buffalo Special.......- p 77 upd 25/9
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:20 am 

Story 44 – Buffalo Special

Time to start the car for another drive through the garden of wonderful wildlife, beautiful landscapes. Leaving the camps for the unexpected… often not knowing to go left or right at junctions. What do we see taking this road and what do we miss not taking the other way.
Hoping to find “this” animal but unexpected and or suddenly eye to eye with another species… This is what we all experience…what a life eh…. ? :hmz: :hmz:

At the moment we are counting down the days for next trip end of november. Preparing by buying malaria pills and other little things… almost every day saying…another 9 weeks to go or xx workingdays to go…. :dance: :dance:

But we are in the vehicle for another drive and another story. Well…. This time I like to put the Buffalo in the spotlights, using a selection of pictures I made during last trip.
Not just buffalo pictures of a some close by but in different situations as part of little stories and buffalo as part of the beautiful kruger landscapes.

Let’s start the engine… and starting with the drive…. Please jump in and fasten your seatbelts.

It is may 9th around noon and we just had a very good cheetah sighting along the S28. Time to go to Lower Sabie where Anne-Marie :k is waiting for us to meet. We were talking about everything with that great look at the sabie river. After some time some noice just under the lookout of the restaurant there was this funny Buffalo bull. It was real fun to look at him taking a nap and using the mud as a “Spa” relaxing … legs in the air…. :big_eyes:

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

Some days later we found a small herd on the road. From all pictures I selceted these ones as portraits.

-
-

-
-

During this trip we saw a lot of young ones but in most cases almost hidden in the middle of the group or behind the mother…. This one was a nice exeption to pose for me.

-
-

In the north we have seen lots and lots of buffalo. One day we left Shingwedzi for a trip to Pafuri area we met 4 herdes on and along the main road… real road blocks but enjoying it every time.
You know all these pictures with some buffalo on it so I skip these and like to show this two with mother and young. I love the expression of both… the care , protection and the way mums looked, being alert.

-
-

-
-

Another day in Mopani. Leaving the camp and decided to go to the Old Main Road on the search for tuskers. Arriving at Dzombo-Oos waterhole (along S144) we saw this magnificent tusker and I recognized Machachule (I thought it was him….) After all it was not him :big_eyes: but almost a look-alike. His tusks were similar, the notch in right ear ..similar , size of the bull similar but there was a hole in his right ear. I assumed he got that over the last months but later at home receiving pics of Machachule without that hole I understood I found a new big tusker :dance: :dance: , not known so far…no other pics ever seen of him…. So he is on my tusker site now with the name Nkokodzi.
But…. We were talking about buffalo isn’t it? (Sorry but passion for tuskers takes the lead every now and then) :redface:

I really love to show this picture of two of the “big five” together and posing so well with a nice background. Seeing them together you can see how big these elephant bulls are compared to a big buffalo bull.

-
-

Next series is about the largest buffalo herd in kruger. It is the Mopani herd with about 2500 buffalo. Did I count them….? Yes…with some estimation I could count them. I was driving in the Mopani Mooiplaas area and suddenly I saw a few buffalo crossing the little dirt road. I took position and I saw so many in the bush at the right side so I assumed it could be that extreme big herd. I estimated the number I saw crossing the road per minute. It took 45 minutes before all crossed the road. Per minute I counted about at least 50.

Some impressions of the cross-over
-
-

This one was very curious about what I was doing

-
-

-
-

-
-

One of the mums with child….
-
-

Let me keep it to this few photo’s. I think I made about a hundred or more, but is was buffalo wave after wave…very impressing and so calm…so quiet with just a few “nhuhhhhhhh’s”
Nothing else then hearing them walking. Never seen such a big herd.

A very very different view on buffalo’s. We all see them in smaller or bigger groups, mainly walking or taking a bath…. This trip we have seen them sleeping just along the road like one day very early in the morning. It was cold and we took the S40 (close to Satara) Suddenly we saw some dark spots in the high grass… coming closer we saw this big herd sleeping. It was special to see the herd split into smaller groups sleeping together body to body to keep themselves warm I guess.
Let’s have a look at them

-
-

A few days later in another area another sleeping herd early in the morning

-
-

As promised I like to show you some impressions of buffalo as part of the beautiful kruger landscapes.
Along the road from Satara towards Tshokwane we saw this herd close to a waterhole.

-
-

-
-

Talking about Satara area… near Girivana waterhole this wonderful show of buffalo together with, in the background, one of the named tuskers called …. Girivana. :) :)

-
-

-
-
and
-
-

Starting the engine again and going down to the south… passing Skukuza on the way to Lower Sabie. Along the main road we saw a big herd at the other side of the river. Being lucky with an open area to be able to capture them on photo.
Looking through the lens I also found a white rhino at the riverbank. What a scene… landscape, one rhino and hundreds of buffalo…enjoy 8) 8)

-
-

A little use of the zoom to show the rhino a bit more
-
-

-
-

As a goodbye for this story a last portrait of one of the many buffalo bulls we saw. Took this one because of the bird flying around his head… :wink:

-
-

Ok… drive finished
Hope you liked this story about Buffalo’s in different ways and like many of you I love the scenery / landscapes a lot. Without, it is “just” an animal… with landscape you feel the kruger

Thanks for joining !!
More stories to come …yess… as long as you like them, next one will be about L… “4 of a kind”

* I promised fellow forumite Buffelo_Soldier a story about buffalo’s, so this one is for you

Next trip planned from november 25th till december 15th

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Aat & Elly Story 45 -GOOD Morning L....- p 79 upd 3/10
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 pm 

Story 45 – A Very GOOD Morning with Lions

Are you ready for a lovely early morning drive ? :) :) Ok…. It is early when we wake up in Satara. Packing things for breakfast, preparing camera’s, starting the car and line up in Satara before gate will open.
You recognize this ? Gate open, cars go left to Olifants, cars go right to Orpen, cars go left to S100 and we…. Poor us… :tongue: :tongue: we just go straight towards Tshokwane, no followers this time. Right decision ? Whatever… after some minutes a few rhino along the road looking left and right before crossing the road. About 10 minutes later, near one of the waterholes a large herd of Buffalo… we smiled and said …great start for a big five, now we need some cats , just making fun….

Getting closer to Tshokwane and coming just around a “corner” there they are… 4 lions on the road… :dance: :dance: :dance:
Sunrise with lions again but now 4 of them in the golden light. :) :)

First thing we saw was this :cam:
-
-
-

We could see they were all looking at something in the field. Following their eyes we could see a group of Zebra far away but the lions were very interested, allthough two of them, the other two liked the sunrise a bit more.

-
-
and
-
-

No other cars at that time so all for our eyes only, first class. :whistle: :whistle:
One of the beauty’s was posing so nice I could resist to capture him in all glory. :thumbs_up:

-
-

-
-

A bit nervous walking on the road focussing at the possible breakfast in the field

-
-

Since no one else around I could move the car into any position so asked this lion to pose as a model :pray: :pray:
-
-

Getting closer? No problem for this beauty
So ..without words he was ready for some portraits….

-
-

Yawning….thanks… no dentist needed
-
-

-
-

-
-

Another one walking and stalking

-
-

Mmmmm Zebra came closer so they were paying more and more attention to them

-
-
and
-
-

It was time for them to move and in the golden light they went into the field , golden grass, golden lions and golden light….

-
-

-
-

and a last eye on them before they disappeared

-
-

So…. Next stop was Tshokwane to enjoy our breakfast still thrilled about this great and special sighting.
We hope you liked joining us again being close with these beautiful Big Cats

More stories to come … I think …. :hmz: :hmz:

Next trip planned from november 25th till december 15th

Aat & Elly

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next