Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: H7 Satara - Orpen Road.
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:58 pm 

Hi guys, I managed to get accommodation at Tamboti in october for a few nights. It will be the first time that I will be in that area, just wanted to know if any mites had good sightings on the H-7. Thanx in advance

Post subject: Re: H-7
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm 

Amino, I have always found the H-7 a very fruitful road. It is very scenic and the roads off it are also good game viewing roads. You will love your time at Tamboti :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hey Amino :D

On the 7th of September (yesterday) wild dogs were seen on the H7 near the tamboti/maroela side.
Then a lone cheetah near Bobbejaanskrans,
and 2 lionesses lying in the open near Nsemani dam :D

Personally, I have seen wild dogs, leopard, and many many lions on the H7 :dance: It is my 'Cat road' :wink:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Amino to us personally this road had always been and still is the most productive from a sightings perspective - apart from seeing the big five on this road we have also seen cheetah, wild dog, python, jackal, stunning birds of prey, beautiful trees and many other wonderful living things. Enjoy Tamboti in October and wishing you good and interesting sightings :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Amino the H7 is a very productive road! Have often seen the big 5, including cheetah and wild dog along it. Not only that, but the scenery is also special, especially the section that passes alongside the river :thumbs_up:

Also don't forget to try out the S39/S40/S41 to timbavati picnic spot, the timbavati road this time of year should be great for sightings with animals flocking to areas where they can obtain water from (timbavati closely follows a river).

Most importantly enjoy! :clap: :mrgreen:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post subject: Re: which roads to travel
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are my views and experiences of the roads in the Satara area (in no particular order):

The H6 - I've had brilliant sightings of lion, leopard, cheetah and african wild cat along this road. I far prefer it to the S100 (although also an excellent road) as there is less dust, it's elevated because it's tarred so it's easier to spot things when the grass is long and its beautiful open plains have lots of interesting birds. The Sweni Bird hide at the end of this road is probably my favourite bird hide in KNP, always plenty happening in terms of both birds and mammals - I can sit there for hours!

The S41 (South) - another one which is a predator rich road. I have seen both lion and cheetah make kills on this road. Lovely for birding too. I have also had 4 separate sightings of Sharpe's Grysbok along this road (three of them close to the little bridge/causeway of the N'wanetsi river in the thick scrub, so keep a look out for them). I have seen lots of exciting birds and mammals at Gudzani dam, another place I can sit for hours. Highlights include Wild Dogs and a Serval fishing for barbel.

S100 – this is a great road. Predator rich, great for plains game. I doubt I need to say much about it. I have had brilliant sightings on this road but, as with any road in the park, days where I haven’t seen so much as an impala. My advice, unless you’re the first one on the road in the morning do the H6 first and then come back along the S100, the dust combined with the rising sun will destroy you and your photographs if you’re not in front.

The S90 and the S41 (North) - this is generally quite a quiet road, but I have had good luck with elephant (nice tuskers), cheetah and lion. It's also a brilliant area to tick some more grassland birds off your list. My favourite sighting was a Kurrichane Buttonquail with tiny little chicks crossing the road - one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

The H7 – this is a brilliant road for lion, cheetah and leopard, and of course the resident orpen pack of wild dog. I have seen lions make a kill at Nsemani Dam on two occasions. My best cheetah sighting of all time was also on this road near the S39 junction. The only negative is that it’s a relatively busy road (well for the central area anyway).

The S36 and the S126 – my most successful leopard roads in the park, particularly the Sweni River road. Both these roads are brilliant for predators (I’ve seen caracal along the S36 north), big herds of buffalo and if you’re lucky some nice tuskers might make an appearance. Also brilliant birding roads in my opinion.

The S39 – This my favourite road in the park in terms of scenery and due to the fact that you can drive for an hour in peak season without seeing another vehicle (although I have no idea why). I have seen Verreaux’s Eagle Owl, Barred Owlet, African Scops Owl and Pearlspotted Owl on one drive. Also brilliant for predators. I have seen a leopard take a warthog along this road and also seen the Timbavati pride with numerous kills over the years. Surprisingly, in terms of my statistics, this is my most successful cheetah road in the park. The Ratel Pan bird hide is probably my second favourite bird hide in the park, brilliant for water birds and great for photographing hippos.

Okay, I could write a book on the Satara area I love it so much, so I’ll stop now before I write another 2 pages! Either way, it’s a beautiful area filled with many surprises and never disappoints! If you have any questions on any of the other roads in the area please don't hestitate to ask :thumbs_up: