SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:06 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Some pics:

She says sorry about the quality, was early morning & relatively dark (5:10am) and the camera struggle a bit with focussing in bad light.

Showing how green it is

Close up of ellie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:01 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Getaway Kruger's Top 10

Favourite road for game viewing - N'wanetsi River Road (S100)
You'll find an abundance of ordinary game and there's a good chance of seeing lion, leopard and cheetah .
Getaway

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:08 pm 

I must say that over the years the S100 has probably been one of my most successful game viewing roads........
lions too many times to count (sometimes more than one pride), cheetah on a few occasions, leopard, hyena, Serval, jackal, large herds of buffalo, however not many elephants & never rhino.

My greatest morning drive ever started on this road.......
We left Satara & took the S100, & at the dam we saw 2 hyenas trying to catch a young zebra (with mom trying to chase them off, & eventually succeeding).....
Not long after that we came across a large pride of about 10 lions at a wildebeest kill, including a few cubs.......
About 1km before the T-junction we saw some objects ahead in the road, which we were really excited to see were 2 cheetah walking in the road.
After staying with them for a while, we moved on & took the S41 towards Nwanetsi, on which road I got my first view of a striped polecat....
I just remember my girlfriend shouting SKUNK!!!....
And just to top off a great drive on the H6 tar road back to Satara we came across an African wildcat. :D :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

S100 is 1 of my favourites , although it is a case of feast or famine .
Seen all of the big 5 along there .
I like to do this route in the afternoon though .
Set out from satara , head northwards , turn up the s whatever to gudzani waterhole , turn right towards nwanetsi (often see nice big kori bustard along this road) , gudzani dam for sundowners , then back along s100 towards satara .

I have found this route to be very productive , and a nice length for an afternoon drive of around 3 and a bit hours .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Said that I will not be doing the "S100 thing" during my stay in Kruger.
But eventually did it this past Tuesday and had one of the best leopard sightings ever.
'Ol Spotty' tried to catch a turtle.
I have wonderful video footage on that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Always loved the round trip drive from Satara S100 and back along H6 I think it is, and have had some pretty decent luck along that road.
I have seen 2 kills, as well as 4 of the big five (never seen rhino up there).

Generally when I stay at Satara will do the s100 first thing in the morning and then late in the afternoon, of course the morning trip will include brekkie at N'wanetsi (I think, it's been a long time since I was up there). My first kill was awesome. there is a reservoir on the left side and a water hole (man made) on the right, quite a few km's down the S100.
Anyway it was very dry, August and we saw a rather large herd of buffalo heading towards the waterhole. To the left of the waterhole was a kind of a bank and there was a pride of lion probably around 11 or so. Well we were alone on the road so we parked the car and waited.
the buffs arrived and the lions decided to go a hunting. 3 females picked out a buffalo and came in for the attack, one could see the buffs were a little weak from lack of water food etc.
One female jumped on the buffalo's back and just hung on,
the buffalo continued to run, this was all happening right in front of the car.
The other 2 females came in for the kill, and finally dragged the buffalo down about 3 metres from the water hole, and the pride then converged on the scene and chowed down.
It was incredible to see, and we sat in amazement.
By now we had one other vehicle behind us who also saw it, other than that nothing.
What I found amazing was that even though the buffalo was weak, it still took quite a while for the lionesses to bring him down and then once the lions were eating, the rest of the buffalo continued on to the waterhole to drink, instincts kicking in.
I will try find pics to post soon, need to look for them in my boxes (happened before there were digital cameras I am afraid).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:11 am 

I love this road and have had wonderful sightings over the years. Have sen lions on almost every occasion I have taken this road and leopard a few times and only one cheetah once and never any rhino.

We were the only car at one of the leopard sightings and we once saw a lioness stalking a kudu for about half an hour and there was only one other car.

The park is there for all to enjoy and as long as people are behaving I do not have a problem with that.

One of my two sightings of the AWC was on this road and I have also enjoyed many hours observing the kori busted and the secretary bird on this road and also of a brown snake eagle catching and feeding on a snake.

Many times we have stayed at Satara after the 5th January and it is usually quieter and if you leave camp at 4.30 there will not be too many cars at a sighting. Like Bucky I'd rather share a sighting and I go to the north and bush camps for other reasons and other game. To put it another way, I like it all but for different reasons and oftentimes the fun is in the sharing and telling others of a sighting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
WTM, may I please request that you don't put any of your cardboard cut-outs on the S100 for the first part of June?

Putting them there would imply you being on the S100, the animals will get spooked again and nobody would be able to spot anything there for weeks! :D

Only 2 more days before entering Kruger!!

Post subject: Not so unlucky!
Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 am 

Hello, my first time on this forum. :D

Last time I was in the park was 3 years ago (I now live in Australia) but every time I've driven the s100 I've always had incredible and memorable sightings. I've seen the magnificant 7 (big 5 plus cheetah and wild dog) at various times. On two trips I've seen 4 of the big five on single drives along the s100 (one morning drive, one evening drive.) Most memorable was a bumba by 3 cheetahs, chased off by a pack of 5 hyena's who then lost the meal to 3 female lions!

Am really surprised not too many others haven't had that sort of luck on my favorite road in the park!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:46 am 

Quote:
the s100 I've always had incredible and memorable sightings. I've seen the magnificant 7 (big 5 plus cheetah and wild dog) at various times. On two trips I've seen 4 of the big five on single drives along the s100 (one morning drive, one evening drive.) Most memorable was a bumba by 3 cheetahs, chased off by a pack of 5 hyena's who then lost the meal to 3 female lions!

Seems like WTM has been very busy with those cut-outs

Post subject: S100 varies
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:48 pm 

My personal experience of the s100 is that it varies according to the season. Have driven it many times in winter time and it seemed more quiet than in early spring and summer. Last December we drove that road up and down and every single time found two or three prides of lion (one of the prides have been around for a while now and consist of 5 females, three males and many youngsters , I think 8 or so), white rhino, a big herd of about 80 or so elllies, buffs, hyena and leopard. If you don't get to the road early from Satara with the first few cars it will be dusty and the game will move away from the road, until after the first hour or so, and then it will settle. Had some awesome leopard sightings on this road in the middle of the day and with good reason. Have often seen lion early morning on the road, and leopard would then avoid it, until the lions have gone to sleep. But the road is a hit and a miss, just like Eloff Street (road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie). One day you drive it and its cooking and the next day its dead quiet!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:05 pm 

Hi,

It was just at the beginning of the road from Satara, maybe the first 100m, he was walking at morning 25 m on the gravel road and suddenly run on the bush

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

privalli wrote:
as I read in this forum, 33% planning, 33% good place good time, 33 % luck

Thats a good summary of this forum :D

Monné

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:44 pm 

I drove the S100 a week ago and managed to see 4 of the Big 5 - on our own drive we saw a large male Lion, buffalo and elephant. Went on a night drive from Satara and also managed to see a small spotted genet, elephant, rhino and a serval. I have read so much about the S 100 and it didnt let me down.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:21 pm 

Francoisd is in Kruger at the moment, and has sent this to me...for special attention WTM and other S100 critics :P

Quote:
WTM and other S100 critics should read this and weap :-Ds

S100 - Gudzani return (14:25-17:10, 26 Sept 07)
Waterbuck
Impala
Elephant
Baboon
Lion
Vervet monkey
Giraffe
Zebra
Buffalo
Leopard
Wildebeest
Kudu
Brown-headed Parrot
White-headed Vulture
5 Ground Hornbill
Saddle-billed stork

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next