Skip to Content

Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Unread postby Wild about cats » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I stayed in Shingwedzi again in December. It's a great camp for birds, saw a lot of new ones. The staff were friendly and the general area was very beautiful.
This is the view from the restaurant:

This is the view from the bungalow during some rain

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]

And the causeway was stunning as always

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am

Cheetah - drive to Babalala via the Mphongolo loop . And Pafuri picnic spot is about 90 km from Shingwedzi for a great days outing :lol:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm

If I am not mistaken, the Kannidood road goes on to Grootvlei, where you can drive along the dam wall.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:21 pm

While we were in Tsendze in July we took a drive to Shingwedzi one day, we were pleasantly surprised by the day-visitors picnic area. Everything was spotless, the attendants were friendly,helpful and on the ball. We hired a skottel and made a "lekker" breakfast in a really tranquil part of such a busy camp.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

michievdb

PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE

Unread postby michievdb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:15 pm

I absolutely LOVE the KRUGER. I visited many camps, but mostly to the South of KNP. Now my husband and I decided to explore the Northern areas as well. :D We booked in Shingwedzi and Mopani in December for a week. :dance:

We have always been very fond of the Pafuri area even though I haven't experienced it in real life. So my question is the following: Is it possible to do a whole day's trip to the Pafuri region from Shingwedzi?
We have two children aged 6 AND 11. I don't know if they will be able to handle the long road for a day trip.

Any suggestions? Where is the best place to have breakfast or lunch on this road trip?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 am

It's roughly 87 kilometers, so Billy is quite correct with the 3 hours. It's another 10 kilometers (each way) to Crooks corner which is a must if you are there anyway. That is one of the best drives in the whole of Kruger.
You'll have to budget time a bit, but on the way back you'll be on tar all the time so you can make some speed.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:31 am

In addition to previous feedback, I would advise that you make a day outing (versus a half day outing), leave at gate opening time (04:30), as said, to be there for breakfast and yes, the Crooks Corner Drive is a must and try and include the Nyala Drive along the western portion of the Luvuvhu, indeed super drives.
Normally by 10:00 or 11:00 it will be nice and hot and I would then return via Punda Maria, which is not really a major detour but offers you a nice break at Punda Camp and kids can take a dive into the pool there.
From there via tar road back to Shingwedzi. Enjoy!

JOEP STEVENS
General Manager: Tourism Operations

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby o-dog » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 pm

Its clear that all the advice you have been given is from those with good knowledge of the area.

Take it easy getting there and really search the open areas around the waterholes on the way up...very often exciting things around.
As mentioned Nyala drive and the bridge is a must.

But without a doubt the drive to Crooke's Corner is fantastic...take it slow and make sure you scan every view point along the river very well...there is fantastic birding with Bee-eaters, Storks and Trumpeter Hornbills and many other specials for the KNP.

THe temp will probably be hot and humid - often around 35-40 in december so make sure your drives around Pafuri are done before breakfast if possible.

Getting back to Shingwedzi is tiring in the heat after an action pack morning around the Pafuri area but you can average about 40-45km/h as the heat means usually little activity going on.

A stop at Babalala (translated to sleeping baby I think, which is quite applicable because its hard to stay awake on the way back :) ) is a must and the Mpongolo Loop is fantastic if youre not too tired!

Keep an eye out for rare antelope on this drive with Tsessebe, Eland and Roan all being exciting posibilities!
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby o-dog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm

SusieB wrote:We did this day trip from Shingwedzi a couple of weeks ago, leaving at gate opening 06:00 and returned easily before gate close at 18:00. We had a quick leg stretch at Babalala on the way and on the way back and hired a skottel and cooked brunch at Pafuri. If you have your yellow ribbon on I'm sure Frank will come and say hello if he's there.

It was a lovely day trip as I had never been that far north before and the landscape up around Pafuri/Crooks corner was so different from the south and very beautiful. It is a long day, but worth it (maybe keep the kids up the night before so they sleep on the way back! :wink: )

I see where Bushbuddies is coming from in general terms of fewer sitings than in the south on this road, however we got lucky and had the best leopard siting (including kill) of our entire 2 week + trip on this road that morning just north of Babalala....so as always you just never know when you will get lucky!

Have a great trip!

NOw i want to know what happened here with the kill? Did you see it happen and what was killed and any pics?? Shingwedzi has probably produced some of our best leopard sightings but dont think ive seen them north of Babalala

:thumbs_up:

SusieB

Unread postby SusieB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 pm

OK just for you....

It started off a a nice siting of the leopard in a dip at the side of the road with a very small pool of water.

There was a fallen log across the water suddenly the leopard lept up and ran across the log, got a pic but not a great one as we weren't prepared for the sudden action.

It disappeared out of sight into some bushes behind the waterhole.
So we waited in hope that it might reappear and give us a second chance. After 10 minutes or so, there was a lot of movement in the bushes.... a few minutes later we were rewarded as the leopard reappeared jumped once again onto the log an ran across with what I now know is a Cane rat in it mouth.

Made our day and perhaps even our trip!! :D

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby o-dog » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Hey SusieB what a fantastic sighting and so well captured, great pics...thanx for sharing :clap:

I had a feeling it was going to be really interesting...so I am glad I enquired :wink: :D

:thumbs_up:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Thu May 31, 2012 1:15 pm

tent dweller wrote:We always make a point of stopping at Shingwedzi to make breakfast at the day visitors area, it is really well run and the surrounds are really great, lots of bird life and also a real "bush feel"

Did you know that as from dec 2011 the day visitors picnic area was moved to just before the main camp entrance on the right , and there is no longer a view of the river ?
There was excessive congestion around the wht you know as the current / old picnic site , I understand the old one is / will be closed.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Shingwedzi is awesome!! :clap:

Even with some new upgrades it still retains it's old world bush feeling. :dance:
The first time I ever stayed there, I felt I was in Africa proper!! :thumbs_up:

We are staying there in December, and can't wait! :thumbs_up:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:42 pm

We stayed at Shingwedzi 27 and 28 July 2012. LOVELY CAMP. The story about the Lions is true .... quite vocal :D
We saw some of the big named Tuskers in the riverbed in front of the Restaurant and there was a Verreaux's Eagle Owl in front of our hut.

Remember the S50 to the "South" of the camp.
Here you visit a dry Kanniedood Dam.
There is a beautiful bird hide along the way where we saw Kudu and Nyala at the hide, and further on the BEAUTIFUL Grootvlei Dam with Elephants, Tuskers and there was a large herd of Buffs at the same time.
The usual impala, Kudu, Kori birds and a fish Eagle. You then carry on to Tihongonyeni where we nearly always see Roan, Tsessebe, Eland, Kori's, Kittlitz's Plover, named Tuskers.

To the North, you can visit Pafuri loop and Picnic area/ Crooks Corner/ Nyala loop, etc and go back to Shingwedzi before gate closing time.

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:41 am

Good morning Bushbuddies,
You can maar go to Shingwedzi. We have been there end of July and saw an abundance of animals. Perhaps we should have written a TR :(

There was a giant eagle owl in the camp , and there were babies as well. We again took nice photos of crested guinea fowl and crowned hornbills. We even found a yellow spotted nicator. What was also nice was the large number of ground hornbills we saw .... there were 9 of them in one of the groups. We found them from Phalaborwe gate up to Pafuri.

Roan, Eland, Tsetse - we found them at Tihongonyeni and Klopperdam. A must is of course is Grootvlei Dam - there was enough water for a large herd of elephants and buffalo to play in the end of July.

Conclution - go and enjoy the North and Shingwedzi :dance: :dance:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”