Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rino-Where 2 Oceans Meet...Aug 2011
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On a recent visit to my parents we decided to get out of the house and get some fresh air. There is a beautifull hike in the area called Rasperpunt, but today was not a day for hiking. We hopped into my dad's old rusted LandRover and headed for the Southern Tip. "The Jeep" as it is affectionatelly called has seen better days but it is the perfect vehicle for the area. And the rust cannot be helped as my mom emphatically states, even Tupperware rusts in Struisbaai. :)

The Cape Agulhas Lighthouse was the third lighthouse to be built in South Africa, and the second-oldest still operating, after Green Point. The building was declared a national monument in 1973 and is also a Western Cape provincial heritage site. The lighthouse is 27m high and has a range of 56km.

Our first stop was actually 'Suiderstrand'. The mission: Scouting out fishing spots. :)

The coastline around Suiderstrand , the end of the road for vehicles is actually no more than a small collection of houses. The closest store is in Aghulhas. It is the perfect getaway location.

It was turning out to be a beautifull day after the storm of the night before. On the small beach we found some beautifull artwork in the sand.

Nature is not only found in Majestic Undulating mountains and Unending Aquamarine Oceans. It is also in appreciating the smaller things. You will be amazed at what you see when you truley take the time to look.

Soon we were saying good buy to Suiderstrand and headed back north for our next stop, The Meisho Maru.

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Post subject: Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet...
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Meisho Maru is aJapanese fishing trauler that ran aground between Suiderstrand and Cape L'Agulhas on 16 November 1982.

The ship had 240 tons of frozen tuna aboard. All 17 crew members swam safely to shore. During a storm on 31 August 2008 the ship was turned around in heavy seas.

We were very lucky on this specific morning. It was spring low when we were there whitch meant that we could walk right up to the wreck and get some very nice close up shots.:)

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:50 pm 

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.
Vincent Van Gogh

Amazing pics!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Now, the ocean off Cape Agulhas is notorious for winter storms and mammoth rogue waves, which can range up to 30 metres high and can sink even large ships. The coast here is littered with wrecks and I would recomend a visit to the Bredasdorp Shipwreck Museum. It gives an educational and facinating insight into the rich maratime history of the area.

Below you can see some pictures I took on another occation when the mighty Atlantic showed its true colours...

My father taught me at a very young age to always respect the ocean. Never to turn your back on its powerfull waves and always remember that the ocean has more secrets than the stars above. Images like these make me understand its power. Don't let the traqual waters of the medetaranian or the Aegean sea fool you. The ocean is a beast not to be toyed with.

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you very much for the kind comments Meandering Mouse, Kamadejo, wanderw, Elsa, Crested Barbet, Caracal.

I feel I need to set the record straight. Marketing and the tourism industry in general has made this whole southern tip 2 oceans thing VERY difficult for people who have not grown up in the area.

-The most southern tip of Africa is Cape Agulhas
-The most south westerly point in Africa is Cape Point
-The Atlantic and indean oceans meet somewhere in between Cape Agulhas and Cape Point. The
exact spot varies depending on the currents and seasons.

I hope this has made things a little clearer for those who might have found the whole business a little confusing. :)

One of my favourite spots is the lighthouse. I love climbing to the top the view is to die for and so is the dinner plate sized scones with home made strawberry jam, cheese and creame in the restaurant down stairs. :)

Below you can see the fantastic panoramic view from the top if the lighthouse. (Try to go on a calm day. If the Sout Easterly Wind is pumping it can be quite intimidating standing up there)

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Micetta and Kamadejo, here follows the next installment. :)

You could say that I grew up in the area. My family has been holidaying in the area ever since I can remember. Every December we would pack the caravan and head towards Struisbaai! As a young child I played in the waves and sat on my dad's shoulders as he carried me into deeper waters. My big brother and I would pop from rock to rock with buckets and fishing lines. Catching small 'klipvisse' and poking our fingers into sea anemenies. This is where I learned to love the water!

There is some debate as to the origin of the name "Struisbaai". Some authorities believe that it means "straw bay", referring to the thatch roofs of the fishermen’s cottages here. Others claim the name is derived from the Dutch "struisvogel"/ Afrikaans "volstruis" - which translates as ostrich in English. According to legend however, Struisbaai is named for the size of its beach - an old Dutch word for "huge" which would not be surprising since Struisbaai does sport the longest natural beach in the Southern Hemisphere which stretches for a total of 14 kilometers.

Below is Struisbaai's legendary beach. There are no known super strong currents here and although the water is home to many a great white shark I am not aware of a single shark attack in the area.

Sadly the beach has been getting narrower over the last couple of years. This is aparently due to the large harbour wall changing the direction of the current. Over the last couple of years the beach left of the harbour has been gradually disappearing and the rocky coastline to the right of the harbour has been replaced by sandy beach. The human impact on nature is truely profound.

Struisbaai harbour is home to 3 uge black sting rayes weighting in at well over 120kg each. When the largest of the 3 was caught by the Two Oceans accquarium for their Predator Exibit the people of the small fishing village was so enraged that they immediatelly sprang to action to get their rayes back. Sure enough after a visit from the Marine and Coastal Management the Two Oceans Acquarium was forced to return the Ray to its natural habitat.

The Sting Rayes are famous and the largest of the 3 named Parrie even has his own facebook page. :)
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 305&v=info

Here are some more pictures of Struisbaai harbour.

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rock Kestrel, African Black Oystercatcher, Crowned Cormorant, Karoo Prinia, Yellow Canary and Cape Bulbul, Bokmakierie, Gulls, White-fronted Plovers, Common Whimbrel, Karoo Korhaan, Denham’s Bustard... to name a few.

But above all and my personal favourite the area is flooded with Blue Cranes. :)

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Image In Struisbaai :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would like to conclude this TR with a couple of pictures from small town with 2 names. Waenhuiskrans/Arniston. A beautifull little coastal town with an amazing hotel and a famous cave...

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Thanks Rino for this super little report...indeed a liitle gem.

May I add African Fish Eagle, Jackal Buzzard, Bar-throated Apalis, White- backed Mousebird, Malachite Sunbird, Southern Double-collared Sunbird, Cape Grassbird and Brimstone Canary to the list of birds....well worth a visit to Agulhas NP , BB

:) :) :) :) :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]