Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: 'Ticker' or 'Spaceman'?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
According to the two categories described in the very first post on page one by Tumble Weed I am definitely a Spaceman “staring of into the distance at nothing in particular” :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:18 pm 

Tumble Weed wrote:
When you head to the park, what is your aim?

Are you armed with checklists, pda's etc. and tick off every bird you see? Do you have a count of how many birds you've seen during the day, how many mammals etc. Are you obsessive about identifying the bird in the bush twenty yards off the road? Does it gnaw away at you if the guy next door gets more ticks than you? Generally these folk are highly alert. You can identify them by the lunge for the binoculars if there is a slight movement in a bush. There is always a checklist and guide book close at hand.

OR,

Do you take a drive without an aim, stop and enjoy the surroundings. You don't get concerned if you cannot identify the LBJ that just flitted from beneath that bush. You enjoy watching the sun set, and don't care that you did not see a lion that day. To you, it's just about being away from it all and enjoying the bush.
These folk are normally identified by the spaced out look they have. You'll see them parked next to the road, staring off into the distance at nothing in particular. They are content to just sit and watch the world go by.
So which one are you?

Me, definitely a 'spaceman'(but a reformed ticker)

I think the original gist of the title has been somewhat lost over 8 pages, :tongue:
as I don't think Tumbleweed was referring to how much time is spent in or out of camps but what you actually do on the drives. Keep notes or stare into space! :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:53 pm 

Flutterby wrote:
You ain't gonna see too many animals while staring into space!! :lol:
As long as the space contains an animal or bird! 8) :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 am 

Interesting thread! :thumbs_up:
Few years ago definitly the biggest tickers of all, driving like crazy people from A - B just stopping for the Big 5! :redface: :slap: .............
That all changed the day I got a Bird guide for Christmas :dance: Nowadays we are avid birders, not on the dot alot of the times, but we're trying. IMHO - Kruger is alot more than just driving from A-B. When was the last time you stopped at waterhole/dam and just sit there for an hour? / In the middle of the road just listening to sounds of nature? Try it sometimes, you'll be surprised how alive the bush is!
P.S. - Do not try this in the popular winter months, you are bound to cause a traffic jam.... :)

Post subject: Re: Do you record all your sightings/impressions?
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:05 am 

When we go to the park I record what birds we see, what animals we see each day, where we drove. Our unit number and about the camp. We have a list of things we need to bring next time or just notes about what not to do or bring. I take photos too.
My aim next year is to record enough so that I can do a TR when I get back :pray:
On enetering the gate we used to have a "competition" that involved the 5 notes of the SA currency, R10, R20, R50, R100 and R200, a whopping R380 total prize money. Whoever saw the animal first was given the corresponding note. The leopard was a very sought out animal! Had I know that the R200 was to be taken out of circulation I would have kept one :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
I take a small diary... I note the routes, the special sightings (the others are with photos)... but I have to write that each evening... before sleeping... because tomorrow is another day and memory is no more like... moons ago :wink:
the diary you speak about Flutterby... I saw it, interesting... but for 3 months :shock: (to heavy for the plane :evil: )

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It is good to record the sightings that a person has as it build up a personalised database where it is possible next time for you to for example see wild dogs – if you are second time lucky that is . But it also makes for interesting conversation when you are back at home.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:16 pm 

A few years back I picked up a "Kruger Mammals List", from one of the forum topics here. It's an Excel document, and I modified it a bit by including photos. Since then I try and better the previous years sightings.

I don't record each sighting, just a tick next to each mammal once we've seen one.

If anyone wants me to mail it to them, drop me a pm.

*G

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I don't only record each sighting, I count the animals as well.
I have got a database of sightings and numbers since 1979, it's very interesting to see, also note where they were seen.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I record each sighting on a grid I have created for myself.

If I see more than 80 non impala sightings in a day it is a good one, and less than 60 is 'slow'.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I will take my laptop with. On my laptop, I have a list for birds, animals, reptiles, bugs and others. I take a lot of photos and in the evening, I will sit outside, downloading my photos under that day's date and tick off what I have seen for the day under the respective list. Then thereafter, I will right the "what, where, when and how" of the day and to top it off, I will choose a photo for Highlight of the day" and insert it in my report!! This works well for me!