Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The S100
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:04 am 

We've had numerous good sightings on the S100 during the last 4 years including leopard with two cubs and other leopard sightings, numerous lions with cubs sightings, cheetah, breeding herds of ellies, rhinos, hainas etc.

But we have also driven this road without seeing any game, even early in the mornings, just like with any other road in Kruger. You are never guaranteed. Still.. the S100 (together with the S28 LS - Croc bridge) remains our favourite road(s) in Kruger.

Even if you see nothing on the S100, the field along this road is beautifull and for me personally the road/field has this "high expectancy/good probability which I don't know how to describe look". Especially just before gate closing time.

I must admit that during holiday months, the road do become overcrowded and the dust is anoying. Maybe this will start creating more "S100 dislikers" not travelling the road any more causing less traffic and dust on the road and the "S100 fans" can enjoy the road even more. :dance: (joke) :roll: :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:58 am 

You know, I don't care that the S100 is "quiet" or "no animals". Its the road in the KNP that most screams "Africa" to me and I love it. I think this time I am going to video the drive, so I can relive it when I'm back in cold, wet, soggy England.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Cheetah2111! Hope you come back with a load of good reports about the S100!
What I love about that road is that, besides the chance of good sightings (like anywhere else I guess), it runs alongside the river and there are lovely spots to pull off the road and simply enjoy the beauty and calmness of the scenery.
One such event had us close-up to a Fish-eagle, a meter or two away, and before it flew off it tilted back its head and gave its call. Awesome moment.
Hope you experience real great moments there too!
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:53 pm 

This road never fails to deliver.
I've seen all big five and plenty more of general game.
In August we had a pride of 12 lioness's including 2 cubs at the windmill drinking water & then walked back across the road to meet the male who was waiting for them.
His companion that we've seen most years in the same vicinity was not around.
My friends had seen him a few days earlier, but said he looked in a terrible condition.
This road give the best sunrise of all in KP in MHO. :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:42 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I can vouch for that Christo! :D
Seen 15 November on S100

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
The S100 used to be my most productive road as far as the big cats are concerned.
But lately I am having more luck on the gravel roads south of Satara.
But don't get me wrong I still travel the S100 early mornings (I am usually first out of camp) the because of the exciting sightings still being recorded by other forumites. '
However I have given up driving on the S100 in the evenings because of the S100 Powder (unless it rains)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:11 am 

One of the well recognised warhorses from the S100.

We sometimes have to get bread and milk while staying at Balule and then travel down the tar road to Satara and then onto Nwanedzi for breakfast and have to take the S100.

The reason why I used the big zoom and cut out all the background was that he was part of a group of 4 lions at a buffalo kill that was lying 40 metres from the road right out tin the open.
It would have made a beautiful shot with the lions and the buff and a few Jackal in the background framed by Thorn trees further back.
Unfortunately the Satara 'leeumanne' had made a laager of chrome covered Japanese 4x4 Bakkies about 30 we counted right around this kill.
Some were parked 100metres into the veld...

I took this shot and then took pics of some of the visible bakkies and their reg nos and as it was close to Satara I switched my cell on and phoned the Section Ranger which is what should be done in cases like this as reception especially at resort camps like Satara are too busy.
I then went straight to Nwanedzi with no traffic in sight as they were all parked in the veld.

Apparently that kill had been there for 2 days and right from the beginning the crowds just drove far into the veld and that seems to be the norm there as one very annoyed 'grootpens' gentleman confronted me at Nwanedzi as I was enjoying my fried eggs and baked beans under the shelter with the family.
He told me in no uncertain terms that 'How dare I phone authorities to have him removed from his lions'
So obviously conservation staff did go and sort it out.
Pity it wasn't done the day before.
Just 1 call that's all that was needed from a visitor to the north as it seems 'texas' law applies further south..anything goes

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lanzerac- :thumbs_up: Great pic of a magnificent lion.

The S100 - I still enjoy the road and have had some great cat sightings on it. Leopard and Lion.

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:01 pm 

On our visit to Satara December 2010 and January 2011 - 12 days we traveled the S100 regularly and found the following:

1. Leopard crossing the road just before the T junction with S41
2. Hyena at the crossing
3. Leopard in tree with Baby about 5 Km after turn off from Satara on S100
4. Lions(3 females) about 7km before crossing with S41
5. Cheetah brothers x 3 the day before we left - sorry cant remember the small water hole's name on the S100
6. African wildcat and Badger :clap:
7. S90 and S41 sunset and Night drive we saw a lot of African Wildcats etc. Hippos etc etc Worth it :clap:

Will keep on driving the S100 but please don not beleive me its okay :twisted:

Maroela - 5 days August

[b][color=#FF0000]NO HOTELS - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND BASTA[/color][/b]

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 pm 

Have just returned from my third trip to Kruger and so far the S100 hasn't delivered :
( I think the sighting board at Satara can drive you crazy though, when you see all those pins and your seeing nothing and I have my doubts about the validity of some of the pins :hmz:

I did get to see a bull ellie in musth on the S100 in early March, but no predators yet.
Although I swear I scanned EVERY tree looking for my elusive first leopard (since achieved elsewhere in Kruger :thumbs_up: )
Also got to see a small breeding herd of ellies walking through the riverbed with youngsters in tow.
There was a good sized croc (2m) on the bank and it didn't flinch at all when the ellies came past.

A few days previously I met a couple who saw a pride of lions take down a buffalo calf on the S100, then had the buffalo herd return and chase the lions up a tree.
Eventually the calf died anyway and the buffalo left, the lions came down the trees and ate the calf.
They watched all this for over 3 hours, and I saw some video footage they took and it looked like another Battle at Kruger!
To top it off it was their first day on safari. Unbelievable luck :shock:

So the S100 can obviously produce, but just not for me yet. Oh well just going to have to go back to Kruger again.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And I say: Do not underestimate the S100. The day it delivers, it gives everything it has and it is good!
Aanhouer wen! (Don't give up.)
:thumbs_up:

Post subject: The big 5 on the S 100
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:02 pm 

My family and I have been visiting Kruger on a fairly regular basis for many years and when we stay at Satara, we always have to make the ride along the S100,or the dirt road to nwanetsi, our very first drive in that area, as its always been one of the best roads in Kruger, to see lots of game, and on many occasions, we have seen the big 5, and including Cheetah, we always used to see some or other preditor. But for the last 3 years or so, it has been very dissappointing,you don't even see much general game and when there are no general game in the area, then there won't also be preditors .Has anyone else, who have also been regular visitors, also noticed this accurance. :x

Regards Tim

Last edited by Timandmel on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The big 5 on the S 100
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have had mixed fortunes on the S100, but I love it regardless of what I see.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:44 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
Leopard on S100? (part of big 5). You must have been extremely lucky, because I have hardly heard of this.
I would have thought so as well and we have never been so lucky either but it seems Katydownunder was! Here

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:55 am 

About 2 years back we were traveling on the s100 and we saw a leopard +/- 2km in and toward the end of the road we saw another leopard.
Haven't traveled the road recently so can't comment on the current sighting but we've usually had awesome sightings on the s 100.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next