Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ext HD crashed!!!Is there hope?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:01 am 

spargish wrote:
DuQues wrote:
(...)

Only problem is the poor standard of PC shops in South Africa, 90% of them wouldnt have any idea what you mean by RAID

But 10% will - and they're the ones BB needs to find... Regrettably I'm not based in SA so can't recommend anywhere, but Google (or Bing or Yahoo! - just to keep everybody happy) & the telephone are powerful tools :lol:

Life's lessons are invariably hard :wink:

Cheers...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

oddesy wrote:
DQ, I need to get me one of those :mrgreen:

You do yes. They have other advantages too.

If set up properly you can access your files via the internet, so if, like me, you are an international traveller you have advantages.
At customs and they don't believe you didn't pay all the taxes on your cameras/lenses? Log in to your NAS, and show them the bills you scanned in.
Lost passport? A scan on your NAS will again be handy.
We have files at home that we both use, like our birdlists. No problem, they are on the NAS, available at any time from any location. Guess you can think of other files you would like to be able to access anywhere.

Aside from that keeping your data on it means that if your computer crashes/is renewed you just have to adjust the settings on the (reinstalled) pc. And all your data is available.

Our NAS is 67% full at the moment (500+ GB photos and quite a few movies) so soon there will be a second one. Hope GP doesn't read this! That one will be a 4 bay NAS, so I can start with 2 disks in it and add as needed. First thing copied there? The photos.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ok - just to let you all know - the freezer trick did not work... the ext HD just gave me a cold shoulder. :doh: But luckily - also no sparks and blowing up of things... :P Never even thought of that possibility...

Will try get some quotes...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:24 pm 

Bushbuddies wrote:
But luckily - also no sparks and blowing up of things... :P Never even thought of that possibility...

That's a relief :clap:

Had a real quick surf around... Don't know anything about these guys; but they look pretty slick... http://www.datadetect.co.za/

HTH...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What causes an ext. HD to crash? Any advice on how to avoid this happening?

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 pm 

Flutterby wrote:
What causes an ext. HD to crash? Any advice on how to avoid this happening?

Typically mechanical failure of some sort; more unusually electrical failure... No known way to safely 'avoid' it from happening. When it does happen; it tends to be without notice!!! But you can take precautions against loss...

Best bet for security & peace-of-mind is as discussed above... TWO mirrored external drives; so if one fails, the second comes into play, and you simply replace the first and re-mirror...

DQ's RAID option is by far and away the best methodology, but is normally a step too-far for most users. Simply plug 2 external HDs into your USB ports (or a USB HUB if required) and use any one of a number of backup software options; or just simply copy all files and keep each drive up to date...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:29 pm 

Greetings from a very bright and warm Southern England
Q - What can cause this
A - Anything but particularly being dropped, hitting against other objects. It only has to be a very small insignificant bump.
Solution - Nothing will totally protect the HD, however always carry it in a padded bag or padded shockproof box. Don't store it with the lead plugged in or in the bag if when the bag is dropped it damages the HD.
Regards
JDW