Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 12
 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Should the names of people banned be made public on the forums?
Poll ended at Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:32 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 57 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:28 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

TheunsH wrote:
If "publish and shame" is the purpose for making banned members names public, then I will change my vote to no.

That is not our purpose, the idea came from the forum itself, hence the poll. We have never even considered publishing the aliasses banned.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
it becomes very complicated (for me) :redface:

I don't understand, banish ... is BANISH ... not for 3 days or 2 months .... as a punishment for kindergarten :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I voted no, as there are rules - as everywhere in life - to which you have to stick :thumbs_up:

And as I understand you will not immediately banned after you have broken one rule but you had to break these rules a couple of times and those mites do get a warning so they know what they have done wrongly maybe with intention or in vain. I am sure the mods do give them a possibility to speak.

But to make this public :big_eyes: not for me. As this forum is a place for me to relax after a day full of work and activity with watching nice pictures, reading thrilling stories and to give any advice if needed. I do not have any energy or enthusiasm to follow such endless discussions or make me think why exactly this mite got banned.

I am more to sure that we here on the forum are old enough to take our own decisions and to get not manipulated by anyone. At least I am enough self confident to stick to my opinion and if there are other who have another opnion fine - I can live with that - how boring would be life if everyone would have the same opinion only to satisfy one (BTW - Where is the Huh button - I think that one would fit here perfectly) :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 pm 
DinkyBird wrote:
members are spoken to via PM, get a pre - warning and two formal warnings (so a minimum of three requests to abide by the rules) before any bans are considered.
So the reason for the ban is in actual fact at least four transgressions of the rules.

Hello!

How long do these "pre-warnings" last for, as they do not appear on your user profile?

I'm straight onto my first warning, but don't recall a pre-one, although I must have been naughty over the last 5 years! :shock:

Anyhoo, this poll is rather curious, as noel says:

Why is it here and not under polls?

How come you can see the running results without even logging on?

Where was this poll requested publicly on the forums by other forumites?

I still think it's excellent as a precedent for future public participation elsewhere, just strange! :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:04 pm 

Was not requested by a forumite

But if you read through the lines and follow the many topics about forumites leaving you will notice
Like here for eg
Debates and Losing Forumites: Be careful what we lose

And there are many more if you start digging

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I get what you're saying, Pumbaa, and agree. (still voting yes, but that is the beauty of opinions :))

I've never seen, or even suspected, that banning on this forum was akin to the Red Queen shouting "Off with his head!" at the slightest provocation. It's a gradual process, not a sudden cliff-drop. (or am I wrong? :hmz:) I also don't think forumites are dropping like flies. And, while I am friends with a few banned mites off-forum, nobody should play the victim here. I've pointed out to a few mods that the rules are getting more convoluted as they are being made more specific. Yes that is a problem, but it doesn't change the fact that the primary rule of the forum is the Golden Rule.

We're adults. (mostly) We KNOW when we are acting naughty. (mostly)

As my father used to tell me , "Stark (or whatever he called me :tongue: ), Cowboy Up." Trust me, if I ever get banned from here, that banning will be my decision.

I also don't think it would be fair for such a public statement of banning to be anything more than an FYI. This isn't Rome catering to the mob, so I don't want details from mods or from the banned. I would assume that most posts that got forumites into trouble are removed for breaking rules, so that puts mods in a bad spot of trying to defend perception instead of real actions.

I'm fine with banned forum aliases being named, along with the transgression. I'm fine with the banning being between the mite and SANParks. What I'm not fine with is the perception that bannings happen out of hand and are not soley owned by the person being banned. I haven't seen one instance of responsibility being elsewhere.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:28 pm 
Hey!

I've looked at the lines and between the lines...can't find a poll request! But still! Good idea! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Toko wrote:
I totally agree to what dikdikkie said. Name and shame might not be the right way to go about things. Malicious intent of banned members or not, blacklisting people might mean loss of public dignity. Privacy as a set of rights over the control of one's image, name, and reputation, and over the public disclosure of information about oneself is an aspect of personal dignity of all forum members, wrong doers included.

... my edit .... Most users are using nicknames, but there are many other members and readers on the forum who know the real name and person behind.

At least the banned member has to agree before he/she appears on a ban list. ... my edit ...

I agree with Dikdikkie and Toko and others who have posted along the same lines. I am not hiding behind a forum name (stoepid advice from the TheunsH the evening I decided to sign on, but nevertheless). Further, this is not a virtual chat room anymore. Some of us have met behind the screens. Which clearly does away with the 'anonimity' of 'mites. And the impact of Privacy Law cannot be negated either. I can see no purpose/legality in it for making this public.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:50 pm 
[post edited by a moderator - pls see rule # 10]

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:01 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Richprins wrote:
I'm straight onto my first warning, but don't recall a pre-one, although I must have been naughty over the last 5 years! :shock:

Please watch your inbox. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:05 pm 
So you can't remember the year either? :lol:

My inbox is maxed daily! :wall:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:09 pm 

Yes I can... clearly.
2011. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Richprins wrote:

Say what??!! :sup: :sup: I thought you were picking them up on a monthly basis! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 pm 

ROFL @ Elzet! :lol:
You go girl! :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stark, that was well said. :clap: That really is the bottom line isn't it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next