Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Buffalo Charges
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
An interesting topic and I remembered a thin book I have written by an early explorer / cine photographer of the park C P De Leeuw Beyers. After scratching around I found this book and in it is a story of a motorist in the early sixties whose small car was attacked by a buffalo bull on the then main road from Malelane to Skukuza (now the S114). The story goes that there was a herd of buffalo and the motorist stopped to watch them when a bull came running out of the bushes and hit the car door and then ran off. The incident was reported to the rangers at Skukuza.
Apart from this story there are several other stories with photographs of kills, the death of the Skukuza Postmaster who went fishing in the Sabie river and was killed by a crocodile etc.

I bought three of his books in the early seventies and they make interesting reading. However I can only find two of these books. Maybe some other forumite also has access to these books.

In my own experience I have not been charged by any buffalo and I have always felt at ease with them whilst in the confines of my vehicle.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am 

Never had any problem with them in a herd. Had one lonely bull charge but I got away long before he reached the road.
I normaly drive through a herd if it takes too long for them to cross. No problems. They will come closer to have a sniff but I normaly don't take that change.

A big heard might be a problem if lions approach from the other side. They don't run around bushes, they go straight through them. Will probably try the same with a vehicle.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We have never had a charge, but we have had a large male buffalo in a herd, walking toward us very purposefully!!! :shock: :shock:

We reversed slowly, in case he charged, but eventually after the main herd had gone off into the bush, the large male followed them. :)

It seemed to us as though he was protecting the herd, although of course, I may be completely wrong in thinking this!! :redface: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Buffalo in big herds are very docile during the day. It is a great experience to park in the middle of the heard and allow them to walk past you on all sides.

At night, and a small bachelor group ... it might be wise to give them some space.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: Buffalo
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Hi 100ponder, I stayed at Satara for a week in May this year and did not see too many buffalos on our visit to Bangu and Balule area. However this is not usually the case when I travel that area.
In March 2010 I came across a nice herd of buffalo just north of Bangu. Here is a pic of one of the bulls of the herd.

This next bull was also seen in March 2010 on the S90 south of Bangu

I will be staying at Balule and Satara in Sept this year and hope to come across some more fine buffalo bulls. I will let you know if I am successful.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice buff you saw !

42 - 45 incher I would say.

Also, look right above his hump, there is a you bull in the back ground with LOTS of potential !
[ Deep sweeping curl already hanging low down the sides of his head ]

Gerrie.

PS :- You 2nd bull has a HUGE boss.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Gerrie, nobody else has responded to your request so I thought I would post another photo. This bull was photographed near Talamati in November 2010. This herd had several nice looking bulls but this one stood out for his shear body size. His horns are not the largest but he was big. Unfortunately he was standing on his own and therefor not possible to compare size with another bull.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Cheetah2111. Yes I have seen the photo of the Buffalo in Satara reception. Amazing set of horns but not a classic set but rather a freak set!
I have come across a few bulls with impressive horns that I have seen a couple of times, but I do not know how practical it will be to keep a record of and naming of individual bulls with impressive horns.
Like this bull below, I have seen him a couple of times in the Satara area. His boss is not very thick but his horns are loooong.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:17 pm 
Carramba, adw!
The record! :big_eyes:

My effort at Baobab Hill this July!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Exceptional pictures adw!!! :thumbs_up:

Nice attempt too Richprins....!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Aahh ! - Just woken up with a regmaker from Telkom on my land line, now I have internet again !

When I called for buffalo submissions to this thread I actually hoped for real big buffalo horns - like 50" over-all width.

Now, the "adw" flat horn is in this class. Not the prettiest to me, I like the deep horn curls as that of the earlier "adw" buff but end of the day, it is only over-all distance between outer horn curls that count.

A massive horn boss is a pretty horn but still just a massive horn boss and a big horn is a “wide” horn.

Since we are hunting with cameras, it does not matter much that some big (wide) horns belong to cows – it is only the “bullet hunters” that worry about that !

Any-case, the following photo shows a buff cow found close to the Shavo 2 wind mill in May of 2009. I estimate her horns in the 50” – 53” class – now that is really BIG.

The next photo show a buff bull from the same herd at Shavo 2, I estimate his horns in the 44” – 47” class – big but still on their way to become exceptional although the deep curl is already wonderful.

The next photo show yet another buff bull from the same heard at Shavo 2, this bull is already exceptional although, should the lions leave him alone, he will still grow a few inches before expiring. I estimate him in the 46” – 50” class.

A way to identify a big horned buff is by the horn width compared to the spread of that buff's ears. The horns should exceed the ear by at least half an ear length on each side.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

100Ponder, do any of these meet the requirements?

Taken on the S90

This one was taken on the S125

and my third one taken on the Timbavati road. Please forgive the poor quality as it was taken in direct sunlight.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

laeveldleeu, All my photographs are genuine individual buffalos. The only photoshop work done on my photos is to crop and sharpen as well as correcting exposure. Nothing else has been done!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey "adw", are you a buffalo wisperer ?

I NEVER see that many big buffs !

In your last post with 3 photos you have some real wonderful beasts ! :D

The first could go 44" - 47", the second easily go 47" - 50" as do the third buff.

You are really blessed to find these big buffs ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

All about size - what about age?

How about this one for age? Real old grumpy one I saw in the greater Kruger park!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next