View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Why I stay
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sharifa and Duke you certainly have contributed positively :clap: :clap:
I would be a member in x amount of years even if it was only to see your amazing photography and remind you that I still appreciate you sharing it with us :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 pm 
Sharifa and Duke wrote:
hopefully contributed in some small way

A Massive way! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 pm 

Thank you MM for starting this thread, I can remember when you felt very frustrated about something, and how you "kissed and made up" too :wink:

This forum has become a virtual family to me which I visit on a daily basis. I have learnt so much from so many mites while reading their posts and trip reports.

Like Nkulu, i have decided to stay because I have the choice, to read what I wish, to avoid the negative threads, and to enjoy the interaction between mites.

And I plan to stay for a long time :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:43 am 

I'd just like to add that since I've been reading this forum, I've added about 20 books to my "want" list. I've gained a huge interest in trails, the history of KNP and other parks, and gained knowledge of all sorts of things. I've also learnt that you should get up insanely early to be the first out the gate and you should always look behind the toilet doors incase you have an unexpected guest.

Many of the posts have also made me realise/reaffirm how amazing this country is and how lucky I am to be within driving distance of the bush. (Something I tend to forget when I'm in the city. :redface: )

I feel that I have been made to feel very welcome in the "Mite Family". 8) (Nope, was not paid to say that)

I'm a Newbie, but I intend to stay! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
KDJ, :D a very warm welcome to you and may your stay be a happy one :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome on board KDJ and may you have a long life..................
.........on the forum

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am 

KDJ wrote:
I'd just like to add that since I've been reading this forum, I've added about 20 books to my "want" list. I've gained a huge interest in trails, the history of KNP and other parks, and gained knowledge of all sorts of things.

I feel that I have been made to feel very welcome in the "Mite Family". 8)

I'm a Newbie, but I intend to stay! :dance:

I would like to echo this....

I have just arrived !!! No ways I'm leaving soon.....

Skukuza - 09-14 April 2012

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nkulu wrote:
Well said (as always :lol: ) MM
May I just add, I stay because I have a choice :hmz:
I can choose to read or delete :hmz:
I can choose to participate or ignore,
but sorry folks :whistle: I am here to stay!

Nkulu ditto there are times I enter some "rooms" get all heated under the collar, but choose not to air my views and move on. I love this forum too much to get entangled in heated "debates"

Welcome on board KDJ and dikdikkie hope to "see" lots of you and remember take what you like and leave the rest, and you will be assured of a pleasurable stay with us formites.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:01 pm 

Both Chappies have already said we agree with the sentiments of MM and many other mites on this thread. :thumbs_up:

I would like to add that by good luck (or perhaps because of my modest and captivating personality :tongue: ), I have met, mainly on the forum and some in person, 'mites from both sides of the fence. Perhaps that should read all four sides of the YR fence and four corners of the earth. :roll:

They have, one and all, been unfailingly kind and pleasant and we have shared either banter, serious discussions, beverages, food, advice, knowledge and our love of nature. :dance: :dance:
Our opinions have often differed on all sorts of levels, but that has not interfered with us becoming friends. I mourn the loss of anyone to this forum, while acknowledging that we all agreed to abide by the rules upon joining. :rtm:

I have perhaps been fortunate not to be on the receiving end of any malicious comments or PM's (or for that matter warning/banning), so I am commenting from a position of forum comfort. :D

Finally I believe that the Mods do a very difficult and dedicated service in an impartial manner and I am very grateful to them for the time they allocate to keep order in sometimes volatile situations and make my stay here a pleasant one. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

To see good, a man must be good.
Plato 447 BC to 327 BC

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:13 pm 

Thanks to everyone - very happy to be here :dance:

I fully agree with Mellory & Nkulu, you have to sometimes let things go and not let it get personal. :naughty: We are all here because we have a common interest - we love nature.

A difference of opinions is a part of life, it's what makes us all who we are :hmz: My sentiments are that we just need to respect other opinions for what they are and sometimes agree to disagree.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
It is just because I care so much for the forum, and those who have become dear to me on the forum that I am asking for patience.

I have had my moments of wanting to leave. This is not always an easy place, but I have stayed.

I have stayed, because it is a constant window into my beloved Kruger.
I have stayed, because I have learnt so much.
I have stayed, because of wider horizons.
I have stayed, because it has given me a voice to express my love of nature.
I have stayed, because it has opened the world of birding, photography, all creatures both great and small.
I have stayed, because of friendships formed.
I have stayed, because of shared laughter.
I have stayed, because of others loyalty.
I have stayed because I am richer, wiser, happier, smarter than before.

Hiya MM, for a shrink you have talked a lot of sense above. :lol: :twisted: :tongue: :tongue: I must applaud you for formulating my exact feelings. :clap: :clap: I still clearly remember my first welcome by BB, Matthys, Scips (he wasn't very kind to me :cry: :twisted: :tongue: ), etc.

I am way smarter than before I joined the Forums (if that is at all possible :twisted: :lol: :tongue: :tongue: ). Also, for the first time, I perceived Kruger to be mine too. Not just a mere slogan of 'what's mine, is yours', but REALLY MINE too. And this led me to believe that I could highlight the positives and the negatives as far as the management of the parks were concerned. Perhaps a warped perception, but a perception anyway. For months after joining the Forum I was on Cloud 9.

It was wonderful to experience all the positivity (yes, of course there was the odd difference of opinion - Ndloti wanting to kayak through Kruger :lol: :tongue: to the fishing competition which was held by honorary rangers in Kruger, etc). I remember how the Oom and I neglected to admit that we knew each other, let alone that we are married. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: And how much fun that in itself was, esp when it came to the Camp D outing. :lol: :lol: :lol: And then came black December 2009... (not going to go there now), which I still believe was a turning point for the Forum (and if not for others, definitely for me)...

But we cannot dwell in the past, and what was will never be. All parties involved in the Forum should realise this. The Forum in a sense has matured from its baby boots to being a teenager - and need I say more about teenagers? :roll: :twisted: :slap: So where the Forum LO was an obedient child, it progressively matured into a Forum Teen. And I think this is where we are today.

I did a lot of introspect whilst I was in Kruger recently, and I have made inner peace with how things have progressed on the Forum. When I joined the Forum 'in matrimony', I undertook to abide by its rules. Through thick ( :redface: :redface: ) and thin. But that does not mean that this ratifies a one sided dominance (may it be from the mites or Forum Management). Equal relationship, through the good, the bad and the ugly. And that is how I see my current 'role' on the Forum. Never supreme, but equal. Built on fairness and trust - which applies to all parties engaging on this Forum.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KDJ and Dikdikkie, a warm welcome to the Forums. :clap: :clap: :clap: May it bring you the hours of joy it brought me. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 am 

Thank you all for the welcome :D

Elzet, I really enjoyed your comparison of the forum :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
MM, I just stumbled upon this old thread. Thanks for this reminder of why I enjoy being a member of this forum, and why I wouldn't think of leaving.

This is my connection to Kruger and to friends that I have made. I don't get a chance to visit Kruger in person often, due to the cost and distance, but I can live it daily on the forum, along with the other wonderful parks in SA.
I feel fortunate to have met you, the chappies, and a number of others who have posted replies to your post, and I think I am very fortunate to be able to call you friends.
When I see a yellow ribbon, I stop and wave, hoping to meet a kindred spirit. Maybe we'll meet again soon to share stories and adventures, good and bad. Now it's back to cruising travel tales and other interesting topics.