Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Satara Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:12 pm 

Between the three types of guest cottages (GC6B, GC6BD and GC5) are there any category that is preferable over the other? I understand the differences in that GC6BD has double bed and GC6B has single beds, while GC5 has only 5 beds. But are their any category where the cottages are better positioned or nicer inside?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Elmar, I stayed in both the GC5 and GC6BD before and can honestly tell you that they all are exactly the same and there is no real better positioned one than the other. :D

Post subject: Re: Satara Honey Badger
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:38 pm 

HBs have been hanging around the Satara camp for decades, I was first advised to block my fridge with a chair during a visit in 1990 as there was a regular visitor who routinely raided all the fridges. Sure enough the folowing morning there were all the signs he'd tried to burgle our supplies.

It seems this has escalated now though as I've seen several reports on the forum about nightly bin raiding sorties. Anyone who approaches them should do so with caution, they are feisty creatures :twisted:

I've seen several HBs in the surrounding area, particularly along the famous S100, so if you don't see one in camp there is still a good chance of seeing them in the bush and to my mind that is much more satisfying :D

2010 Trip Report:
Penfold & The Pipster Go Wild

Post subject: family bungalows at Satara
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:56 am 

Greetings.
Pse can someone urgently let me know what is the number of the GC5 family cottage, and does it have a big fridge/freezer.
Stayed in no. 82 last trip, would the GC5 be to the left of this bungalow.

Post subject: Re: family bungalows at Satara
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 am 

Hi Fozzi,
We have stayed in 86 and 87 before and they do have a big fridge and also a microwave.

Jo

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 am 

cheetah2111 wrote:
Could anybody please tell me what the cooking facilities are like?
We are staying in 2Bedroom huts - including one wheelchair friendly one(don't know if that affects things)
My mom keeps asking me about this, and I know the answer is somewhere on this thread, but there are pages on pages and I can't find it!
Is there:
A microwave
An oven?
Stove?
Gas braai?
Normal braai?

Hi Cheetah,

as far as I know, you have a guestcottage in the D-circle.
If so, you have a complete kitchen with micro,oven stove and a normal braai.So NO gasbraai:

Guest Cottages
• 1 x 5-bed and 9 x 6-bed units with well equipped kitchens and two bedrooms with 3 beds each (in the case of the 6 bed units). Both bedrooms have a bathroom en-suite (bath, WC and washbasin). The kitchen has a gas stove (with oven), fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery

(although the micro is not mentioned, al the times we were there we had a micro!)

Enjoy!!
:thumbs_up:
Ruud

Post subject: Re: closed Veranda Satara
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:57 pm 

We have stayed in one of those the last 2 years and the enclosure is not glass but a small wire mesh with a netting, so air can still get through but it keeps monkeys and mozzies out.
You do feel a little like you are in a cage, :lol: but the benefits of not having to worry about little extra visitors maybe justifies it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ossendryver wrote:
I'm going to the rudy frankel guest house in a few weeks. :dance:
Can anybody tell me sightings that they have seen from he waterhole it looks over?
thanks

When I was at Satara in September 2010 a clan of spotted hyaenas killed a buffalo right in front of the guesthouse. (I didn't see the kill and was later told that they drowned the buffalo in the waterhole.) Three lions tried to steal the kill but didn't succeed. Another 3 lions arrived later and started stalking the buffalo herd that was somewhere near the gate. Suddenly the buffalo herd started running along the fence and scared away the first 3 lions and the hyaenas. The hyaenas came back, continued eating and when they left, the buffalo was finished and there was nothing for the lions. There was also a black-backed jackal that managed to get a few bites of the kill.
Great hyaena/lion/jackal/buffalo interaction that lasted for a few hours. I didn't get much sleep that night... :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:22 am 

Just got back form a lovely time at Frankel house and Satara once again ! :clap:

Been many years since I have been in kruger during summer months, this time without the kiddies and with friends from europe. The kruger and Satara area look amazing, green green green and lots and lots of birds !!!Frankel house much diff than in winter, need chairs to stand on to see waterhole because of all the tall grass ! Can not sit near waterhole light at night time, to many insects. Still amazing house, best in kruger, great sightings while sipping a drink on the huge stoep, wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, ellies etc,
one of our highligts on the trip was driving the H7 early morning and just outside camp coming across around 25 wildogs on the hunt ....... and not to mention a cheetah with 8 cubs on the h10 !

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Hi OldGoat, Sorry I cant help you on this one as I travel non-stop from Boksburg to Satara.

Herman, the best bungalow views (in my opinion) are those in the semi-circle starting with a G.
Any bungalow starting with a G have the best views but of course are in great demand.

Leopard75, I have done the Mananga 4x4 trail twice albeit 4 years ago. I did them in the dry season and they were fairly easy to traverse. When I did it they cost me R400 a trip but I presume the cost has gone up quite a bit now. Is the cost worth it? Let me put it this way I am glad I did it. I dont think I saw more animals than usual but I did not see another vehicle on the trail. Absolute bliss for me. Also when I did it you were allowed to get out of your vehicle provided you stayed within 10 to 15 feet ( I think that was the distance allowed) of your vehicle. Also you are not allowed out your vehicle near any water streams. Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The only tree in front of the entrance to the reception, in front of the toilets , became the sleeping place of a Bushbaby.
Saw it there during my march stay.
Just look up and search :lol:

Also saw the Scops in the same tree. The lower branches

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:13 pm 

Herman - i'd definitely agree with Mauxie. We stayed in a BD2V bungalow at satara in March this year. There are 2 semi circles of bungalows. The first semi circle goes from 161 to 167 and are between 5 and 25 metres from the fence with 161 and 167 the closest. The second semi circle goes from 167 to 179 with the 2 outer huts only 5 metres from the fence, whilst the ones in the middle are up to 50 metres back. Also this semi circle has numerous trees in it, so is a bit more shady . If I had a choice I'd go for 167.

Here's a picture of 161 and 162

and heres 167 and 166

Hope this helps - have a great trip

Higgsie

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 pm 

Hi jpadrutt, you are correct in assuming that the guest cottages will have all you need in terms of being fully equipped.

The BD3 in Skukuza is listed as having a bathroom, fridge, aircon. and has utensils but you will have to use the communal kitchen to actually cook at. It will also have a braai outside.

The BG2E is a 2 sleeper, aircon, a WC and shower, a fridge, has no utensils and a communal kitchen will also have to be used.
will also have a braai.
It will have a enclosed veranda which is what the E stands for.

You could use the deli/takeaway or the restaurant if need be.

This info is taken from Here

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:11 am 

molpol, if you have a look Here

and Satara contact details

Here

I hope you have a wonderful celebration! Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:15 pm 

Heids24 wrote:
Hi, we are staying in a BG2 at Satara in September, facilties listed as being:

BG2 (BUNGALOW): 2 single beds, Aircon, Communal Kitchen, Fridge, No utensils, Wc
and shower

Just wondering if there is a kettle and/or toaster in the communal kitchen, or the bungalow, for coffee and toast making?

Thanks!

I don't think so. The communal kitchen has some hotplates. But I have red somewhere on the forum that you can hire a pots and pans box at some camps. We also have a BG2 in Satara next week. We take one small frying pan with us and simple cooker. We also think about an small sausepan, but we don't have one yet (lightweight).
Our experience with the Satara buffet is that it isn't very good (take aways for the lunch are ok), so the evening meals will be prepared in the communal kitchens... Maybe someone else has more experience with that???

And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next