Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: H-10 Between Lower Sabie and Tshokwane
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:30 pm 
A nice interaction betwen buffs and rhino, not far north of the Sabie river!

Will put the rest under "white rhino"...

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:13 pm 

Love this road, has always produced some nice sitings. Last time we drove it in August we had lion near the Lower Sabie end, 3 separate Rhino sitings and a pair of Honey Badgers Tshokwane end (saw them last year too on the same stretch of road).
Also one of my favourite sitings to date during our 2009 trip... a Hornbill kill...a battle that went on for ages in the middle of the road....the hopper put up an amazing fight!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:18 pm 
Brilliant pics, SusieB!!! :big_eyes:

Awards stuff! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:18 pm 

Richprins wrote:
Brilliant pics, SusieB!!! :big_eyes:

Awards stuff! :thumbs_up:

Awww...thanks! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Susieb, Magnificent photos of the ybh and his meal. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This is a very nice road to travel very slowly as the great open far off plains and accompanied sense of freedom just does it for me :thumbs_up: . In May this year we watched a very big leguaan walking in the middle of the road for quite some time :thumbs_up: . We avoid coming too close because we did not want to stress him or her. We also had the most rewarding and beautiful sighting (very close-up) of a pair of Klipspringer on this road than anywhere else in Kruger :thumbs_up: . They looked so very much alive and ready for action, any action :D .

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 am 

Richprins wrote:
Eland south of Nkumbe (An individual that probably came from some god-forsaken private reserve!)

Just looking threw this topic on this road quickly I come on this posted by RP in 2008

I love my antelopes and this immediately could my attention. Not quite on this road but on the Muntshe Back loop(S122) I also saw Eland in 2000/2001 just after they reopen from the Floods of Feb 2000. Was also alone animal walking along side couple of giraffe. When I saw it was still a young animal......just maybe the same one????

But back to the road.......give me one road that I will have to travel the rest of my life in Kruger, And I think this will be my choice. As kid in the 80’s it was good to us in the rear antelope department as seeing good number of reedbuck and Tessebe here. Was also the area in the 90’s with had the largest Buffalo herd and is t was speculated to be between 800-1000 animals and peaking at once around 1400......unbelievable....I Know. Other high lights was leopard stacking to porcupine(first and only time for me in Kruger) in the daylight, 4 young cheetah trying to brink down full grown male reedbuck(not succeeding) Good presence of Black-rhino at one spot, getting stuck in large herd of buffalo with 6 large bull elephant approaching and cant move, Seen Duke numerous time here, mountain reedbuck along Munshe, the large number of Zebra and wildebeest in winter and there ever struggle to get water with lions in presence, and most of all coming from Nukumbe lookout towards Lower Sabie( what better view is there in Kruger than this)

Some highlights of just this FEB(2011)

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Great pics Dirk. :clap: :clap: :clap: I agree the H10 is a very good road and got one of my best Cheetah sightings on this road. This Cheetah was photographed in June 2010 near the base of Muntshe Hill.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The 'sighting' of my last trip in Nov 2009 was along this road. a SIT (serval in tree) near Muntche.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

One of the roads I didn't do too often in the past! Obviously a big mistake :doh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dirk , interesting - tell us about the snake - puffadder (?) - was it a road kill / injury ? It appears it may have been alive and thrown by the tawny (?) eagle to avoid being bitten , or attempting to flee ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 pm 

Hi ndloti,
Here is a Quote under of n peice in my TR.....

Dirk.V.E. Neethling wrote:
Day 3 continue……

Well after the cheetah, the road up north went quite, real quite and we didn’t see much until Nkumbe look out. Down in the valley was 2 of the big 5, wildebeest, family of ostrich and about 20 giraffe we counted. The view was amazing and was clear skies but for some reason I forgot to take a picture. It seemed by this time the previous days episode was making me feel weak and was not really in the mood for much except getting to Tambotie.

We left the lookout and the road was uneventful till just past the Orpen dam turn of when we find this Tawny Eagle sitting in the middle of the road.

At first we thought what he was doing here, then SO spotted something by he’s feet.

At close inspection we sow that it was n baby puffader that the Eagle must have spotted trying to get over the road. He was picking it up and shaking it, as it seems that the snake was still alive.

After about 10min the little puffy showed no more life and he Flew of with is kill.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up:

This is one of my favourite areas , all the way up to Lindanda memorial .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:49 pm 

ndloti wrote:
:thumbs_up:

This is one of my favourite areas , all the way up to Lindanda memorial .

Agree :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Also see that the metsimetsi trail is close to this area and seems that vegetation is the same as on the H10.....looking at you signature I am sure you walk this area? How did you find it if you did do this trail?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Metsi area is beatiful , there are valleys running parallel with the Lebombos to the east of M'wamuriwa . In a cave along a valley we came across a lioness with lactating cubs , she growled at us , the cubs mewed when she stood up . Sat behind bushes along the Nwaswitsontso with 100's of antelope drinking less than 50m away . Watched an elephant drinking across a small drainage line , so close that I could hear the water running out its trunk . Mock charged by hippo . Sat on high ground and heard a trumpeting herd of elephant approaching , watched for a good 5 minutes as they approached , continually trumpeting they trotted past as if on a forced march - so fast the calves battled to keep up .
Further north it is very flat , watched black rhino in the open for a good few minutes in the Lindanda area .

... many special memories after spending more than 33 nights in that wilderness area ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next