Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 12 of 15
 [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Which option do you prefer?
Poll ended at Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 pm
a. Check in / check out times 14:00 / 10:00 daily 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
b. Check in / check out times 12:00 / 09:00 daily 89%  89%  [ 187 ]
Total votes : 211
 Post subject: Re: Which check in times do you prefer?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:21 pm 

vgstephens wrote:
we like an early morning drive somewhere in the vicinity of the camp we've stayed overnight at. We then come back to that camp, shower, finish packing, have breakfast then leave.

The 10am checkout gives us more time to do this, and then we just take a leisurely game drive to the next camp, arriving in time to check in at 2pm or after.
:thumbs_up: The 10am check out makes no difference to the cleaning staff, because they still start work at the same time, unless their hours of employment have changed to 10am to 2pm, which should be the case, because I don’t want cleaning staff at my unit until I’m technically meant to be out, but this is not the case, so why isn’t the 10am – 1pm compromise considered as the cleaning staff still arrive at the same time.

Micetta wrote:
If an unwritten rule would be accepted that keys are given when the accomodation is ready, it would make the queues that OWN are talking about shorter and .....some will be luckier than others :wink: It would certainly be acceptable. Today you win, tomorrow it is my turn. Certainly better than now!! and also better than check in time like earlier.

Why is it not possible to be a bit more relaxed about those problems, that with a bit of common sense from staff and visitors could easily be resolved. Also if staff would be a bit more ready to change the accomodations assigned, just like they do in hotels all over. "This rooms is not ready, but this other one is, if it is all right with you. If not, you will have to wait" Sometimes I wonder if the staff at reception have ever seen the accomodations and ther position? Back again to my strong point: training, training and training!!!!!!
If things were managed correctly :whistle: the client would come first, but ...... :whistle: We have tried to book in an hour early with a sick kid and were told "sorry, come back at 2pm", but I knew the unit number, due to the type of unit and drove to the unit and it was clean and empty at 1pm, so we moved in :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bushcraft wrote:
We have tried to book in an hour early with a sick kid and were told "sorry, come back at 2pm", but I knew the unit number, due to the type of unit and drove to the unit and it was clean and empty at 1pm, so we moved in :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Boskuns, we have tried to check in with a sick 'Tannie' an hour early at Satara last year, but to no avail. :wall: :wall: :wall: Fortunately the Oom saw the bungalow number. :dance: :dance: :dance: We were told to come back at 14:00. So we moved in, settled down, and the Oom went to fetch our keys at 14:00. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

It honestly makes absolutely no sense to have a check-in time of 14:00 in a place like Kruger. No sense at all. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If check in times are strictly at 14:00, why are the accomodations not locked? Contradictions all over the place.

A mess.........

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 pm 

Micetta wrote:
If check in times are strictly at 14:00, why are the accomodations not locked? Contradictions all over the place.
:roll: Cruise to the cleaners and slip them R10 and they will unlock your unit for you :whistle: :whistle: at 12pm :big_eyes: :wink: :lol: :lol: You would if I put you in a car with my clan for 8 hours :whistle:

There seems to be a trend in the direction of a perceived competence, but it’s leaning towards arrogance for me, as the product draws people irrespective of how it’s managed, but that can only last for a limited period

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

No doubet, probably even 200 :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In my previous job, I had to travel all over South Africa, resulting in consequent hotel stay (four to five stars). To miss morning congestion, I always departed at 10:00, resulting in arriving at my accommodation at either 12:00 or 13:00 (respectively two or one hour earlier than the permitted time). A mere e-mail upfront ensured that I was accommodated any time upon arrival - like it becomes HRH :roll: :tongue: . Why? Because they wanted to secure future patronage. That's why.

Micetta, I think you'll pay a R1 000! :lol: :twisted: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Bushcraft wrote:
We have tried to book in an hour early with a sick kid and were told "sorry, come back at 2pm", but I knew the unit number, due to the type of unit and drove to the unit and it was clean and empty at 1pm, so we moved in :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

See, these things are tainting a clean, helpful image that Kruger's reception, and other, staff have enjoyed for decades. I suppose it is not strictly the reception-staff's fault - they have to comply with policies - but it is making tourists more frustrated and some of the staff harder. Which is making me mutter more and more, "I miss the old days." :roll: Less complicated, more into making the tourist's experience a pleasant and whole one. :hmz:

Glad that you didn't need a key to get in, Bushcraft. :thumbs_up: Last time at Skukuza, we waited near the tent - to unpack and get everything shipshape before moving it in after check-in - while the cleaning woman completed her duties. She finished our tent at 12.30 p.m., but as I approached her, with a sour look, she locked the tent and scurried off before I could chat with her. At reception, we weren't allowed to get our keys before 2 p.m., we were told, so had to mull around in camp until ten minutes before times, when the keys were given. Not a bad camp to mull around, in truth - that waterfront, when tranquil, is lovely - but, that's not the point ...

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:55 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Micetta wrote:
If an unwritten rule would be accepted that keys are given when the accomodation is ready, it would make the queues that OWN are talking about shorter and .....some will be luckier than others :wink: It would certainly be acceptable. Today you win, tomorrow it is my turn. Certainly better than now!! and also better than check in time like earlier. Why is it not possible to be a bit more relaxed about those problems, that with a bit of common sense from staff and visitors could easily be resolved.

Absolutely, Micetta. That would both make everyone more accepting of the problem and the reception staff less stressed and pressurised. A win-win. :thumbs_up:

Micetta wrote:
Also if staff would be a bit more ready to change the accomodations assigned, just like they do in hotels all over. "This rooms is not ready, but this other one is, if it is all right with you. If not, you will have to wait" Sometimes I wonder if the staff at reception have ever seen the accomodations and ther position? Back again to my strong point: training, training and training!!!!!!

Reception staff get printouts of the days' bookings, which has been assigned by someone either the night before or that morning. Because different people stay different lengths at each camp, it often necessitates careful planning to ensure control over accommodation; so it is not always easy for staff to switch accommodation at a moment's notice. Sometimes they are able to - especially when it is quiet - but busy times pose a problem.

Nevertheless, I do agree that extra training should be given to appropriate staff to help alleviate the 2 p.m. bottlenecks that often occur in receptions these days.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think we're all too nice: write letters and comment on the forum and vote in polls - this doesn't impact on the lives of Kruger Park camp staff. Maybe we should start getting "rude" at reception -- not throwing tantrums, but complain and moan and in general irritate the reception staff. Also demand to see the manager every time and complain to him/her every time one has to wait until 14:00 (or even 13:00) for a key. Tell him/her that the 12:00 book-in time worked much better and can't they please change back. If enough people do this, maybe the message will get through.... (Not that I want to spent my time at Kruger moaning and complaining).

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes I know nagging is juvenile and irritating, but that's the point! :twisted:

What camp manager wants to (and has time to) listen to visitors complain about the same issue everyday?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thobeka wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I'm so sorry. :redface: Thank you for reminding me.
You must be feeling like :rtm:

I didn't get a response from KNP, but I've just reminded them to please respond regarding the check in, check out times suggetions from you... Will make a note and hopefully get a reply by end of business day or at least the week.

Warm regards,
Thobeka

Quote:
Any feedback for us Thobeka

No feedback yet. Sorry...

Best regards,
Thobeka[/quote]

Thobeka - Any feedback from KNP or any other 'responsible' person/department? - :hmz: :hmz:

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:54 pm 

norms wrote:
Thobeka - Any feedback from KNP or any other 'responsible' person/department?
:hmz: :hmz:

To quote another mite "I think a little less dictative handling from Sanparks" With all the current changes that are taking place which aren't all supported surely it's time to show some loyalty to the dedicated regulars that are members of this forum. 89% is the majority.

Any business can’t ignore clients and expect them to remain clients and surely it’s worth paying attention to 89% of the active membership on this forum.

or at least a compromise. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is always time for a compromise :whistle: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just got back from Bateleur, I arrived early 11.30 am and was booked in with a smile. :clap: Why can the other camps not follow suit. The neighbours next to me were booked in early too, but were asked to visit the bird hide whilst the staff finished cleaning.

Bateleur you will get repeat business. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:huh: did I miss the response given ? :hmz:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next