SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jumbo wrote:
If the shop owners are honest people they should warn their European customers about this ….

Yes, but European travellers should also know that they are not allowed to bring certain kinds of souvenirs home. It's amazing what amounts of souvenirs are confiscated by customs every year.
I wonder if most people don't know the laws or just ignore them and try anyway. (It can get expensive though if one gets fined...)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:31 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Here is a list of plants and and animals that are in Appendix I, II or III. Import and export of them, or parts of them is forbidden.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Albert wrote:
What I find quite irritating regarding the "curios" and momentos for sale in the Kruger shops is that many are virtually the same as that available, for example, in the shop at Tsitsikamma. I get the impression the stuff is bought in from elsewhere in bulk.
I know it is kitsch, but I used to buy beer mugs as momentos. Back in the day I could buy something inscribed/printed with the camp's name where I bought it (Satara, Shingwidzi, whatever). Then that disappeared, and then the only differentiation was "Kruger Park", "Kgalagadi" etc etc. Now every beer mug you get in any park is the same..."big five" "africa" bla bla bla......
Uniformity sucks.

Its all geared for the foreign tourist. I will never buy a t-shirt that says South Africa, but I usually buy camp ones.

Ask Stephen to show you the Biyamiti ones, I have 2 and they are priced reasonably.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2014)
I think the Kruger shops are outrageously over-priced - in Dec I wanted to buy my 6 month old niece in Canada a T-shirt with the the little five on, you've guessed it, hopelessly over priced at R105-00!!
I agree they should bring back the items that had camp names on such as coffee mugs etc

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Freda wrote:
I agree, if you have looked in one camp shop you can give all the others a miss.
Afsaal have their own merchandise with Traders Post on, so why can't the rest?

Ok, now I am going to stick my scrawny neck out far enough to get it chopped off....before I begin, SANParks, you are an amzing organisation that does an awesome, awesome job BUT the shops, virtually all of them are stocked and run by one retailer, I will be kind and not mention their name. That's why all the stock is the same. Also this particular retailer is and I quote "not interested in goods that are not mass produced ..." And in case anyone is wondering, this same stock is available in every flippin nook and cranny of this country. And local and foreign tourists alike are complaining like crazy. I dunno, but I think maybe this does require some thought being put into it :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:52 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Your right jay, and that one retailer buys from outside companies, not even SA ones, so very little is locally made, I mean SA made. I know that there is a heap of Swazi made stuff in those shops, at an enormous mark up :shock: (Ingwenya Glass and Swazi Candles and Gone Rural Grass baskets and mats mainly)

But then I dont really know the answer to this problem either :cry:

I just know that all touristy type shops add an enormous mark up because they dont think the foreign tourists will either notice or care, not sure which. I have a friend here in Swazi who runs a very successful touristy type job, with real up-market goods in it, at the Royal Swazi Sun, and the mark up is horrific.... good for her, but not for the tourists.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I would not mind paying R105 for a t-shirt that was locally produced and had a meaningful, small range logo on. I

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thing is the shops are put out to tender, and it is easier and more efficient for a large, professional company as the present one to run it.
But then perhaps it would be good to insist that at least some of the stock is community based, supports SA industry etc etc, which will give the present retailer a lekker headache, but hey, I think he is making mega bucks anyway :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just to really but a big stick in this Topics 'Can of Worms',...
have you ever looked to see where the items are being made?

I am sure the majority of the clothing items - hats, T shirts etc are made in the Far East - the hawkers in Durban beachfront sell similar items.
There are ornaments made in Swaziland - proudly advertised.
in a SANpark shop.
I really used to enjoy buying a Camp momento, after each visit, even a simple sticker, but even those are not available for every camp anymore.
It must be because the Shops are run under a single concession? Not sure, but the truth is, there are still people queing up to buy the overpriced "kitsch" every day.. just look at Lower Sabie camp shop.

My point - we (our SANPS) must suport SA industries, and curios must be derived from proven, renewable/ sustainable resources.... eg Elephant Dung Paper :wink:

KNP: 03 Jan to 12 Jan 14 (Berg n Dal, PKop, Croc Bridge)
KNP 10 May to 17 May 2013 (Malelane, Satara, Skukuza)
KNP 16 July to 26 July 14 (Croc Bridge, Tamboti, L Sabie )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As a foreign tourist I do try and return home with locally made produces from the country I am visiting, hopefully produced from renewable/sustainable resources, and at a reasonable price, but often it is difficult to achieve.
Jazzy, I can cope with Swazi goods, but don't often buy them now, as I don't like the horrendous mark ups on the goods, as long as locally made goods are also available.
As the shops in KNP are now outsourced, I assume that the profits go to the company that runs the shops and not SANParks.
If I knew the profits went into the park I would probably find the prices more acceptable.
I suppose that the reasoning for the high cost of goods, are that the majority of foreign visitors only visit once and that they'll pay anything for a curio to remind them of their trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:25 pm 

FAC Member (2014)
And that's just where the problem lies and the company knows that some foreigners will pay their price.
Ever noticed how the prices of the curios vary from outlet to outlet in KNP.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Jay wrote:
Bouf, as far as I now a certain percentage of the turnover of the Kruger shops does go to SANParks.

They must obviously also pay rental to SANParks and employ local people to serve in them

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Look at it from the other side, that T shirt at R105 is only around $16, which is a steal for a Kruger shirt as a memento. These guys running the stores now know that as well.
South Africans will really struggle to haul out that money to pay for it, but those from across the waters see it as an absolute steal.
The sickening thing is that that shirt is probably not even made in SA, and probably costs around R10 - 20 if that.
As a result there are jobs being lost left right and centre.
That is why when I am in the park I will not buy any such curios, as it is day light robbery, even though my Dollar makes it pretty cheap.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:13 am 

I also thought the prices in the shops for a lot of the items (especially clothing) were much too expensive.

I like to try to buy a nice shirt as a souvenir when I go different places. I would have liked to get a nice, long-sleeve "safari"-type shirt with a Kruger logo on it, but I couldn't find anything like that.
I found the type of shirt, but the logo was something that I wasn't familiar with, so I didn't get it (and it was close to US$50).

Would others buy apparel with the Kruger logo? I'm guessing there are licensing issues surrounding this.

Post subject: Getting souveniers home
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:22 pm 

My husband and I will be travelling to Kruger in February 2007 all the way from Western Canada (32hrs flying).
Our home is an African theme and we want to add to our collection of African art and curios, one of which will hopefully be a 2ft high wooden carved elephant.
My questions to you are, where would you recommend to find the best curios and this size of elephant.
The next question is, how do we get it home?
Do you know if they crate and ship from the curio shops?