Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Lower Sabie Camp Sizes - did we make the right choice?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 am 

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the "Kruger" section and haven't been there in such a long time. We are planning a 5-day trip to KNP next year and will camp predominantly in the Lower Sabie camp site.

After doing some searching, I see a lot of people complain about the stand sizes. Now, we will only camp using our 6-man tents and extension - this considred, is the camp sites still small? We will be two families that will take two camp sites next to each other.

We also don't mind "ruffing" it and want to get away from most of the busy sections but still want to be in an area with good game viewing - have me made the correct camp choice?

Thanks all! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Camp Sizes - did we make the right choice?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I'm not sure about the size of the camping spots, but this post should tell you all.

Game wise it is possibly the best camp in the whole of Kruger.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:16 pm 

Hi Switchback

I am in Lower Sabie right now and took a stroll over to the campsite and took some pics for you to get an idea of campsite size. You will have no problem pitching a 6 man tent even on the smaller campsites.

I agree with DQ, that this is the best game viewing area in the park. But with that comes more humans.

Over the last two weeks we have travelled down from Punda to here. Game viewing was good at Satara, and is best here.

What time of the year are you planning to come? It is extremely hot here at the moment and the park still very green and lush after the good rains. This of course means less humans around.

And just to give some Kruger feeling to everyone:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Having stayed at both, I would still prefer Lower Sabie camping over Croc Bridge...... The sites at Lower Sabie are small, but once you have accepted that I think it's a little bit better than Croc Bridge. Croc-Bridge is also squased into a small little corner....Not the best either :lol: It's a beautyful little camp, however the nearby Petrol station doesn't do it for me, much and much too noisy.

Not complaining, just pointing out the diff's there. Roads leading from both camps are very good, however Lower Sabie just has the better location here, you have a wide variety of roads to choose from, and still have the feeling of being in the middle of a wildlife area, Croc Bridge being the 'border' case :whistle:

IMHO too many humans around, but from Lower Sabie you have the salitjie, s21, s29 Mlondozi Road etc which are a little bit more quiet.

Both camps vehicles driving up and down till quite late, but I if you want to have chance of such stunning sightings around, you'll have to compromise. Tzendze is more my vibe :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Herman1170 wrote:
Advice please! I've booked a hut, BG2, for later this year. Any recommendations on which hut has a nice view?

There are two lots of BG2s...

1. On the northern side of the lawn, directly across from the 'cinema', 14 units. They are tucked away from the river, so getting one with a view is unlikely. However, 23-24 or 71-72 will leave you with a short walk to a bench overlooking the river.
2. Adjacent to the game drive parking, there are four units. Our most recent trip we were booked into the EH2Vs right next door, but got upgraded due to refurbishment about to commence on the EH2Vs.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:47 pm 

Which has the bigger stoep area - BD2U or BD3U? We are 2 couples and need to book 2 units, but will be eating together so need enough space for 4 to sit together for meals. I would appreciate any advice - thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:37 pm 

BD3U without a doubt. They also have an enclosed kitchen area with dining table and chairs in addition to the outdoor table and chairs, so no need to lug chairs around either

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:31 pm 

We`re (hubby and me) thinking about booking either a BD2U or a BD3U bungalow for a few days at Lower Sabie for beginning of next year. They are both available on the dates we want, same price (R10 difference), similar description on the webpage. The way I understand this, they are all in "two`s", renovated and all also have riverviews, is that correct?

Are kitchen utensils, such as cooking and frying pans, cuttlery etc provided?

So, what`s the difference? Which ones are nicer - BD2U or BD3U - and which would you choose?

Safarigirl

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 am 

BD3U everytime. They are bigger and have an enclosed kitchen.

Kitchen consists of a couple of hotplates, pots (not sure about the frying pan), plates, cutlery and the fridge. Oh and that's where they have put the third bed. They have all been renovated and are very, very nice. There's a table in the litchen and also an table outside on the patio so plenty of room to sit.

In the BD2U's the fridge is either in a locked cabinet outside or in the bedroom, which is a nuisance. Book quickly as they are very popular.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
gwendolen wrote:
Any recent experience/reports about the Safari River View Tents? It's been a while since we were there.

Hi gwendolen. SusieB posted some pictures of the river view tents on this thread HERE

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp Family Cottage FU4V
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 pm 

UPDATE:

Just called SanParks to make a payment and the extremely competent agent Michelle/Pretoria office informed me the FU4V is a river view.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:32 pm 

This FU4V cottages are located next to Keartland house and opposite the swimming pool and is perimeter.It has two bedrooms with 2 beds each and brand new.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:20 pm 

We stayed in the unit next to these when we were there in Jan. They were almost finished and I couldn't resist peeking through the fence. They look stunning.

They are facing the river at the opposite end of the camp from the restaurant and thus are in a really quiet location, with few passers by. The swimming pool is around the corner too, if it gets too hot.

Having stayed in renovated units previously I would expect you to be fairly comfortable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:12 pm 

Joep Stevens wrote:
Dear All,

Thanks for the query and indeed these are next to Keartland and replace the old two double unit clusters 93/94 and 95/96. They are nicely situated with river view and have the typical two bedroom with shower and toilet and open-plan living/kitchen area. Quite elementary but should be comfortable and with nice view. It would be great to get feedback after you have stayed there.

Kind regards.

JOEP
These units are most welcome, especially for those that have families of 4 or more, as the previous accommodation was only EH5 huts or the 2x FU5 cottages, which for their price, aren’t exactly value for money.

Please LS/SANParks build a few more units for 4 or more at LS :pray: :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:56 am 

No, the Lower Sabie map is out of date.

I can't remember what numbers the BD2U bungalows are but they are further away from the restaurant. I know we had 81 and 82 in Nov 09 so they are around that area. They have a double bed rather than 2 singles, some have a cage for the fridge so it isn't in your bedroom and they have been upgraded.

The BG2U have not been upgraded yet and are in a really sorry state.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next