Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sightings Boards
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 am 

We also enjoy the sightings boards and always check them out. BUT I don't think the new little magnet "thingies" are effective. :hmz: The previous pins that were pressed into the board worked better as it could not be moved easily and sightings could more accurately been recorded

These magnets are easily, propably acidentally, moved through the day by others recodring their sightings. I have found that our sightings that we have maybe recorded earlier a day (with the magnets) been shift to a totally different, inaccurate position when we return to the board later at gate closing time.

Post subject: Sighting Boards
Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 am 

Please can someone sponsor SANParks some coloured magnets for their sighting boards. :pray: If I had known how bad the shortage was I would have taken hundreds up last week.

Satara seemed to have things in order (different magnet type, so it can only be assumed that camp management have sourced their own), but Skukuza, Croc Bridge, Lower Sabie, Nkuhlu, Biyamiti and Tshokwane all seem to have a major shortage and it’s very frustrating for those that utilize the boards. (I’m not sure what the situation is north of Satara)

It would be a sad day if they were left to die out

Post subject: Re: Sighting Boards
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I actually wanted to bring up the same issue. We were also in the South over last weekend - and found that Lower Sabie and Croc Bridge's sighting boards had a severe shortage of magnets. So sightings could not be "recorded" on it - and thus could also not be followed... On some of the boards there weren't any magnets of a certain colour... :| I think some people might be stealing them... :naughty: But even if they had to replace them everyday (they can't be THAT expensive) - I think it is worth the joy they bring to us as visitors!

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 am 

Hi all,

I'm also willing to donate these magnets but I can't find them. It was really frustrating as Lower Sabie, Nkhulu, Skukuza and Croc Bridge didn't have any or very few over the Easter Holiday season. Lower Sabie had precisely 1 red (lion) magnet.

Satara was better with enough of each colour.

I'm going down next month again and are more than willing to buy them and put them up, if only I can find them. Does anybody know where I can find them in Pretoria?? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Waltons sells them. I guess any office stationary suppliers that sells magnetic whiteboard accessories will sell them. They are usually called something like "magnetic dots" or "magnetic circles" in the stationary catalogues. Rather expensive though - something like R20 for 4 or 6 dots - depending on the size of the dot. Cutting magnetic strips up may be a much cheaper option...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:56 pm 

Hi there

Could anybody find out about the little magnets again. I can't find them, although I have not checked at Waltons and are also not willing to pay R20 for 4.

I found plain (no colour, black, regular magnetic colour) ones today and attempted to turn them into coloured ones. Please tell me what you think: :pray: :pray:

If you look closely you can see they're not very neat and look home made, but I thought they can do for a while. I used those dot stickers and then sealed them with ... wait for it .................... clear cutex :redface: :redface:

I'm going down next week and thought of putting up a few at LS, Skukz, Nkhulu and Croc bridge. Do you think I can make some more and put them up???????? :huh:

Which colour is buffalo again, can't remember, orange or green? Not gonna bother with the rhino colour, for obvious reasons.

Would like to hear from you...

Njoy the cold if you're in SA :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Those look very nice Anja! Go for it! :D :thumbs_up:

Let's see, the colours are (correct me if I'm wrong):

red - lion
black - leopard
white - wild dog
yellow - cheetah
blue ?
green ?
orange?
:?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:57 am 

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to tell you that the sighting boards at most of the southern camps are currently functioning well. At Malelane, Afsaal, Phabeni and Skukuza day visitors area there were enough magnets of each colour.

As mentioned before I made some of these little magnets since I noticed a shortage at certain of the camps in April and took them with on our trip now in June. When we arrived, Lower Sabie, Croc Bridge, Skukuza, Nkhulhlu and Tshokwane were still short. After putting them up, this was what the sighting boards then looked like:

Nkhuhlu:

The GREEN I used is a bit shocking :redface: but I couldn't find anything else

Skukuza:

Lower Sabie:

I,ve put my magnets up on 16 June when we arrived then noticed on Monday (21st) that someone else added these smaller ones... :thumbs_up:

I unfortunately did not take pictures of the boards at Croc bridge and Tshokwane as we didn't go there again after putting tme up.

Hope they will last for a while. :pray: :pray:

Enjoy your trips!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 pm 

Anja Barnard wrote:
ELSA: I did not place any orange magnets at any of the five camps where I placed magnets. The orange magnets which you see in the photos were already there when we arrived and someone else placed the smaller magnets at Lower Sabie which include orange ones. If you read on page 1 of this post you'll see that I didn't intend to take "rhino magnets" from the start.
Thanks Anja! :thumbs_up:
It would be good if Sanparks would put up a little explanation on the boards explaining why this is so.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Sightings Boards suggestion
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I put this suggestion in my online survey, but wanted to put it up on the forum as well. Obviously rhino are off the sightings boards, but I think there is opportunity for the boards to be of more use for visitors.

Think about what animals people typically stop for, and then what animals are up on the boards. Pretty close match, but not completely.

Take Hyena - I saw cars stop for them each and every time I spotted them. Including a sighting 150m from the road. :D There is also a well-known den just outside of Letaba.... (well known if you are "in the know") ...that we happened to stumble upon that nearly all saffies that I spoke to afterwards knew about. (We had a terrific sighting there)

I suggest a sightings boards refresh and add hyena, sable (or similar), etc to the boards.

Post subject: Re: Sighting Boards.
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:48 am 

Have found our only sightings of wild dog due to sighting board. Are they still worth while or have they been replaced by sighting apps

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It will be a sad day when cell phone apps take over andthe sighting boards disappear.

I use them to get info and to stick pins into for my sightings.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sighting Boards must stay, great source of information and Kruger wouldn't be Kruger without them.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 pm 

I love the boards as I'am not using "apps" . This past weekend the boards I have a look at, either confirm or help with the trip . Except for a few clowns that "spot" ghost sightings it gives a lot of people information/entertainment.

p.s. It is one of the best ways to kill time while waiting for the rest of the family to do their rounds. :whistle:

Long live the sighting boards........ :dance:

NO to frackers products

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I also love the boards and really hope they stay. And to help them stay I have bought 125 14mm magnets on EBay and my very kind SO is going to spray them all with his air gun. It just happens we have all the right colours. It does help that he builds models :tongue: so I will take them and pop on all the boards in May.

EDIT they are 12mm :redface:

£7.59 for 300 with delivery R118 cost of paint pence.

Anyone going to Kgalagadi?? BB say's they could use some. Anyone else want to make some not a huge amount of money to spend for a good cause.

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Last edited by Shushin on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next